Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Some BBC channels dead on Freesat

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Some BBC channels dead on Freesat

Old 21-05-2017, 14:56   #1
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Some BBC channels dead on Freesat

Possibly also affecting Sky.

I am missing BBC One Scotland HD, BBC2 HD, BBC Four HD, CBBC HD, CBeebies HD and BBC News HD.

These don't all appear to be on the same Mux so I'm wondering if it's an uplink problem rather than the satellite? I don't know, I'm guessing, not being an expert. Anyone got any info?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-05-2017, 20:27   #2
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star
Re: Some BBC channels dead on Freesat

Not sure what is happening but my channels on Freesat are all ok in Rutherglen
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 22:45   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Thanks Nash that's very helpful. Guess I need to try to factory reset my box.
Old 22-05-2017, 00:36   #4
nashville
nashville

nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Thanks Nash that's very helpful. Guess I need to try to factory reset my box.
Cheers
Old 22-05-2017, 09:09   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

One factory reset and all my BBC HD channels are back. Weird.
Old 22-05-2017, 12:07   #6
nashville
nashville

Quote:
One factory reset and all my BBC HD channels are back. Weird.
Glad to hear you have your channels back
Old 22-05-2017, 21:05   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

They disappeared again this evening. I think my box is dying. I think it's 6-7 years old so I can't complain I suppose.
Old 22-05-2017, 21:53   #8
nashville
nashville

I have had my box for quite a while too, I was thinking of upgrading my box to one that has catch up etc, I noticed that Freesat were giving 15% discount but not sure if the offer is still on, Let me know if you get one,
Old 22-05-2017, 21:57   #9
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
They disappeared again this evening. I think my box is dying. I think it's 6-7 years old so I can't complain I suppose.
6 to 7 years is pretty good as the average is about 5.
Old 23-05-2017, 00:29   #10
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
I have had my box for quite a while too, I was thinking of upgrading my box to one that has catch up etc, I noticed that Freesat were giving 15% discount but not sure if the offer is still on, Let me know if you get one,
I have my eye on a Humax HDR 1100S which has a Terabyte hard drive (lots of storage for recording programmes) and has seven day catch up built in to the EPG, which means you can access iplayer content from the last week by looking at your programme guide. It's selling for £217 in most places at the moment.

To get the most out of a box that can record stuff you need two cables run from your satellite dish to your living room (although the box should perform reasonably well with just one).

I will see if my current box "loses" my BBC HD channels again between now and tomorrow evening, and if it does I will probably buy the Humax. The kids are starting to complain that they're coming in from school and the thing hasn't recorded stuff they wanted off CBBC HD.
Old 23-05-2017, 12:22   #11
nashville
nashville

I did not realise you might need two cables, I thought it might be a matter of just changing boxes, Hear how you get on if you change,
Old 23-05-2017, 12:33   #12
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Yes - a satellite box isn't like terrestrial freeview. You can't just split the cable and share the signal (well not exactly). For a box with two tuners to work correctly, each tuner needs its own cable, and each cable needs its own terminal on the LNB (the box attached to the arm on your satellite dish). It's an easy job for an installer, but unless you have a head for heights and you know what you're doing, you do need an installer to do it.

That said, any half decent Freesat HDR box should function with only one cable. It will however be slightly limited, and if you try to watch and record certain combinations of channels they won't work, because of the way the box needs to control the LNB.
Old 23-05-2017, 16:09   #13
nashville
nashville

Quote:
Yes - a satellite box isn't like terrestrial freeview. You can't just split the cable and share the signal (well not exactly). For a box with two tuners to work correctly, each tuner needs its own cable, and each cable needs its own terminal on the LNB (the box attached to the arm on your satellite dish). It's an easy job for an installer, but unless you have a head for heights and you know what you're doing, you do need an installer to do it.

That said, any half decent Freesat HDR box should function with only one cable. It will however be slightly limited, and if you try to watch and record certain combinations of channels they won't work, because of the way the box needs to control the LNB.
Think I will stick with my old box for awhile. I would not like to pay for a box that doesn't do what I want it to do.
Old 23-05-2017, 18:41   #14
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
Think I will stick with my old box for awhile. I would not like to pay for a box that doesn't do what I want it to do.
If it aint broke, don't fix it.
Old 23-05-2017, 19:50   #15
nashville
nashville

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
If it aint broke, don't fix it.
So True