Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will I be able to get virgin media based on this???

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Will I be able to get virgin media based on this???

Old 11-05-2017, 09:38   #1
jay152
Inactive

jay152 is on a distinguished roadjay152 is on a distinguished road
Will I be able to get virgin media based on this???

Hi all not sure this is the correct place to list this but I noticed couple days ago a grey coloured small cabinet what I think is a virgin cabinet (see pic) was installed on the road close to the bottom of my street. There is also another big plinth with a cabinet yet to be set in place which is around twice or three times the size of this cabinet in pic.

I had a peek in the plinth and there was ducting inside. There is two big white covers on the floor saying CATV in front of it.

Question is what is it and what does it mean for me if anything? Will it mean I will be able to get virgin media in my street and will it also mean it will be fttp type setup?

Finally if this is the case based on the current state of play how long does it take from this stage?

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2592.JPG (15.8 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2597.JPG (38.5 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2598.JPG (36.9 KB, 81 views)
jay152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2017, 19:01   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Will I be able to get virgin media based on this???

I have never seen a white cab before, they are all green afaik and it looks too msall anyways. The third pic looks promising though, like they have put the foundations in for a proper cab but building a cab and putting the hardware inside and the cabling are two completely different things and that is going to be a big project which is going to be planned and have timetables for. The best thing you can do is give VM a ring because if the postcode checker says the service isn't available in your area yet customer services should be able to give you an eta of when works are due to be completed.

Incidentally, what does this say?

http://store.virginmedia.com/quick-checkout
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 19:43   #3
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

All new VM cabs are grey, the smaller cab on the left are used for a variety of things, defo a VM cabinet though. I think I know what that is going to be, but I'm not sure what should be in the public domain so I won't say. But I would say your area will be live soon.
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 20:01   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm_tech View Post
I think I know what that is going to be
docsis 3.1 kit?
Old 12-05-2017, 20:52   #5
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Looks like a regular coax installation, definitely Virgin Media so looks like in the next 12months virgin will be in that area
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 22:55   #6
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Its FTTP build, it will be a few months yet but work is in progress.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 22:59   #7
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

VHUB and power cabinet, VHUB base is waiting for huge cab
Old 13-05-2017, 00:01   #8
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough

Doesn't have a "yellow thing" on top of that one.
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 00:44   #9
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesteev View Post
Its FTTP build, it will be a few months yet but work is in progress.
My thoughts exactly. Just wasn't sure what was allowed to be said in public!

---------- Post added at 23:44 ---------- Previous post was at 23:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
docsis 3.1 kit?
There will be no major change in street equipment for 3.1
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 00:53   #10
General Maximus
Ran Away

Is he getting fttp because it is a new housing estate or because it is part of a new upgrade plan and vm are working their way round the country?
Old 13-05-2017, 01:32   #11
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Is he getting fttp because it is a new housing estate or because it is part of a new upgrade plan and vm are working their way round the country?
Neither, it's part of the Project Lightning rollout.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 09:33   #12
jay152
Inactive

Morning all thanks for all the replies it's all very helpful indeed.

I have attached a rather crude drawing of the site plan of my street and cabinet location apologies art was never my strong point . Based on the location to my house and the fact that the area the other side of the cabinet has no houses for miles and has no plans for housing is there a very good chance my house will be covered and what is meant by fttp install?

Also when I click on the link it comes up with.....

Cable My Street

Oh, crikey. We can't find that page

Maybe the link you clicked is broken or you typed in the wrong address. Perhaps the page doesn't exist any more. Or maybe it's just a glitch in the matrix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2611.JPG (24.9 KB, 38 views)
Old 13-05-2017, 09:41   #13
General Maximus
Ran Away

nice, I am very jealous of the newbies because in some ways it is going to be worth the wait although they have had to suffer a long time. I have had broadband with VM/NTL for 16 years now (started on 512k) and fttc has really only became available for everyone else in the last couple of years. I personally wouldn't have been able to cope without out it post-uni (2003) so I wouldn't want our roles reversed but I am defo jealous that they are getting all brand spanking new equipment and having fttp is going to be amazing; defo something I want.
Old 13-05-2017, 09:54   #14
jay152
Inactive

What is meant by fttp install?

---------- Post added at 08:54 ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 ----------

Also any idea of timescale?
Old 13-05-2017, 10:24   #15
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay152 View Post
What is meant by fttp install?
this is why google exists and if you want to compare it against what has been the standard up and till now and how the rest of VM's network runs then look here.