Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Floyd Mayweather tables £12.2m offer for McGregor to face him in a boxing ring.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport

Floyd Mayweather tables £12.2m offer for McGregor to face him in a boxing ring.

Old 02-05-2017, 15:29   #16
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
Re: Floyd Mayweather tables £12.2m offer for McGregor to face him in a boxing ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
Well yes. TBH if the gloves aren't off so to speak, the fight is pointless except as a money-spinner. MMA rules and it'd be a real fight worth seeing.
McGregor can punch though. Asking Mayweather to try achieve 25 minutes in a cage would be out of the question. Even with a year to train he'd be systematically dismantled and risk serious injury compared to McGregors risk at solely stand up in a boxing ring. Look at Paul Brooks (CM Punk) whom transitioned from Pro Wrestling to MMA via UFC, in his debut he threw a wild right hand to which he was slammed to the floor and obliterated for the next two minutes before being tapped. That was by an American newcomer. McGregor is a two weight dual champion, a deadly striker and a should be P4P #1 in the world.

McGregor would do the same to Mayweather, a guy that literally couldn't defend off his back and risks getting smashed to pieces.

So yeah, McGregor has the skillset to last 12 rounds in a stand up environment, Floyd naturally does too. McGregor can go 25 minutes in a UFC Octagon, whilst Floyd would be lucky to do 2 to 3 minutes.
Old 02-05-2017, 15:37   #17
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation
Re: Floyd Mayweather tables £12.2m offer for McGregor to face him in a boxing ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
McGregor can punch though. Asking Mayweather to try achieve 25 minutes in a cage would be out of the question. Even with a year to train he'd be systematically dismantled and risk serious injury compared to McGregors risk at solely stand up in a boxing ring. Look at Paul Brooks (CM Punk) whom transitioned from Pro Wrestling to MMA via UFC, in his debut he threw a wild right hand to which he was slammed to the floor and obliterated for the next two minutes before being tapped. That was by an American newcomer. McGregor is a two weight dual champion, a deadly striker and a should be P4P #1 in the world.

McGregor would do the same to Mayweather, a guy that literally couldn't defend off his back and risks getting smashed to pieces.

So yeah, McGregor has the skillset to last 12 rounds in a stand up environment, Floyd naturally does too. McGregor can go 25 minutes in a UFC Octagon, whilst Floyd would be lucky to do 2 to 3 minutes.
Yep, agreed. Don't really see what Conor has to gain fighting Queensbury. The octagon is a different kind of hurt especially when it's taken to the floor. It doesn't matter how big and flashy you are when you're in an armbar and being pummelled...
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 18:45   #18
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Can't see point in any event where the intent is to cause harm, it's televised assault and should removed from TV and any other public access. Judo, karate and so forth are on points and get stopped once a score is reached - the intent is different.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:26   #19
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Can't see point in any event where the intent is to cause harm, it's televised assault and should removed from TV and any other public access. Judo, karate and so forth are on points and get stopped once a score is reached - the intent is different.
It's primal instinct tweetiepooh. You are a civilised person whilst adzii and I are still apes. Fighters participate by choice and you can choose not to watch.

At least we've removed the swords and lions. I admit though that the Michael Watson and Gerald McClellan outcomes, for example, are upsetting.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:48   #20
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
It's primal instinct tweetiepooh. You are a civilised person whilst adzii and I are still apes. Fighters participate by choice and you can choose not to watch.

At least we've removed the swords and lions. I admit though that the Michael Watson and Gerald McClellan outcomes, for example, are upsetting.
Sadly every time boxers and fighters go into the ring there is a risk.
Old 03-05-2017, 14:31   #21
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Sadly every time boxers and fighters go into the ring there is a risk.
They are paid to take that risk and a lot of fighters would fight paid or not! Being a policeman/woman, a fireman/woman etc carries risk. So, are you a fight fan or not Den?
Old 03-05-2017, 14:49   #22
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
They are paid to take that risk and a lot of fighters would fight paid or not! Being a policeman/woman, a fireman/woman etc carries risk. So, are you a fight fan or not Den?
Yes l love boxing as many of my brothers boxed when they were nippers and l like them was brought up watching all those classic fights on ITV.
Old 18-05-2017, 15:42   #23
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

David Haye, Dana white and Jimi Manuwa in talks about Boxing match at the O2.. This being the second boxing/ufc crossover and far more likely to happen soon over McGregor vs Mayweather.

I can see the appeal with McGregor vs Mayweather, they're the alpha's of their sport the P4P kings.

I can't really see the point in a Manuwa vs Haye fight. So far, Manuwa has been taken out by the best, he has good knockout ability but I wouldn't describe his boxing as top class, nor would I describe his chin in such a manner. To Haye it's what Mark de mori and Arnold were, sparring fights essentially. Pointless fight that wouldn't really attract that much hype surrounding it. I doubt Manuwa's ability to pull out 12 rounds at Heavyweight nevermind surviving a right hand from Haye or anyone else playing at Heavyweight boxing. It's dangerous. See I don't and many others don't think Mayweather could scratch McGregor, he'll outbox him over 12 rounds but that's all I could see on that front. I could see Haye doing serious damage to a guy that's never boxed Professionally whilst punching the way Haye does. You could fight at the top level in UFC forever but nothing will prepare you for a barrage of mega punches from a Heavyweight like Haye, Joshua, Wilder etc. It's just stupid.

Bellew is back in full training, Haye is making progress so hopefully that'll come around before this crossover.

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 18-05-2017 at 15:45.
adzii_nufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 19:03   #24
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

I think i'd face him in the ring for that. My corner would have instructions to throw the towel in after 0.1 seconds.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 23:03   #25
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I think i'd face him in the ring for that. My corner would have instructions to throw the towel in after 0.1 seconds.
Whilst I get why you've made such a comment of course in jest There's actually stipulations to avoid such outcomes, payout restrictions in contracts etc. You can also be investigated for a number of things regarding getting yourself out as early as possible and taking the payout.

Example in point being Audley Harrison vs David Haye in which Audley landed a single jab until he was knocked down in round 3 and made no effort to recover. He was set to pocket millions from the fight, win or lose. He did get the payout, he was just a mediocre boxer that was past his best.. which isn't great, he was massively slower, massively outpaced, outpunched in every single way by a far better fighter that's a dynamite puncher, it was a total mismatch. The better question being how did Audley ever end up with a title fight in the first place.

Quote:
Harrison was stopped in the third round by Haye, having landed one jab.
"The Stewards of the Board have interviewed Audley Harrison MBE, have heard his explanation and will not be taking the matter any further," was the statement from the Boxing Board, which has the powers to retain a portion of a boxer's purse if it is adjudged that he did not give of his best.
Old 15-06-2017, 01:36   #26
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/40283206

Thread title needs amended.

Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather 26th August 2017
Old 15-06-2017, 06:49   #27
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Another deplorable obscene waste of money IMO.
Old 16-06-2017, 01:52   #28
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

Let's just revert to numbers here.

Conor McGregor has 36 minutes to find Floyds chin. If he does, you'll witness the greatest upset in the history of the sport.

As before, the only loser than can come from any of this is Floyd. If McGregor only wins a single round he'll be applauded.. and so forth.

Typical from Floyd though, the boxing world wanted Bradley or Khan to fight him but for the third time in a row he's ducked the pair of them. Floyd has no interest in dealing with the speed of Bradley or Khan, either of which would be the quickest and most accurate punchers he's ever faced. Bradley even packs a knockout blow too. There's also Keith Thurman dangling about after the number he did on Brook.
Old 30-06-2017, 03:42   #29
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

Floyd 'Money' Mayweather vs. 'The Notorious' Conor McGregor - The 180 million dollar dance.

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 30-06-2017 at 03:49.
adzii_nufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 06:30   #30
denphone
Still alive and fighting

You mean The 180 million dollar circus.