Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What is hitting football viewing figures the most?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

What is hitting football viewing figures the most?
View Poll Results: Why are football viewing figures down?
Illegal streaming 19 22.35%
Subscription costs 58 68.24%
Over saturation on TV 21 24.71%
Milleniums following the games on social media 2 2.35%
Quality of games being shown 7 8.24%
Teams with big fanbases being relegated 1 1.18%
Teams with small fanbases qualifying for Europe 1 1.18%
BT Showcase being under promoted 6 7.06%
Big games been shown on Fridays and Mondays (SKY) 6 7.06%
Games clashing with other big family shows (Great British Bake Off etc..) 3 3.53%
Interest in football is generally on the slide 10 11.76%
Other 7 8.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2016, 20:36   #31
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: What is hitting football viewing figures the most?

Greed!
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2016, 10:06   #32
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

I stopped subscribing to Sky Sports a few years ago and put the money into taking my kids to watch local clubs. Although thankfully my boys genuinely enjoyed going to my club's (St Johnstone) games due to the two Dundee teams

a) being rubbish
b) not providing as good an experience for kids.

It's much more enjoyable paying my £16 at the gate (which includes entry for me and my two boys) and enjoying a day out with them than watching games on the telly. So if our schedule allows it (in around the constant stream of birthday parties and my wife's hospital rota) I tend to just take my boys to a live game.

I do still enjoy watching the odd game through the week on BT but I won't miss it when I downgrade....my elder two will soon be only enough to be taking to weeknight games.

Sky Sports had me as a customer but their high prices pushed me out and I won't be going back, I've moved on.
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 14:00   #33
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain View Post
I stopped subscribing to Sky Sports a few years ago and put the money into taking my kids to watch local clubs. Although thankfully my boys genuinely enjoyed going to my club's (St Johnstone) games due to the two Dundee teams

a) being rubbish
b) not providing as good an experience for kids.

It's much more enjoyable paying my £16 at the gate (which includes entry for me and my two boys) and enjoying a day out with them than watching games on the telly. So if our schedule allows it (in around the constant stream of birthday parties and my wife's hospital rota) I tend to just take my boys to a live game.

I do still enjoy watching the odd game through the week on BT but I won't miss it when I downgrade....my elder two will soon be only enough to be taking to weeknight games.

Sky Sports had me as a customer but their high prices pushed me out and I won't be going back, I've moved on.
Totally agree Mike , I currently have Sky Sports but I would never pay the full price for it. I don't pay for BT and to be honest can easily live without it. I can watch it for 6 months but won't bother after that.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 15:19   #34
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
My God, you seem to be paying an awful lot for a batch of channels you no longer watch!
I have to pay for BT Sport and no-one in this house watches any sports!
Taf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 13:31   #35
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

It will eventually crumble down, more and more people are finding out overseas customers pay less and get "all" the games.

The so called competition here only serves to make the consumer pay more, e.g. when BT got some of the rights sky didnt reduce the price to reflect they had less games, they actually did the usual annual price rise. But when sky were allowed to bid for all the uk rights, the extra premier league channel was free to sky sports subscribers.

Likewise free to air CL games that were on itv are now gone, now on BT, and sky also lost the CL. So CL fans who pay for sky now have to also pay for BT sport.

Is clearly not sustainable as we will eventually get to the point it will cost £100 just for the sports channels, and income inflation is nowhere near at the level of home entertainment inflation.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 14:14   #36
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
It will eventually crumble down, more and more people are finding out overseas customers pay less and get "all" the games.

The so called competition here only serves to make the consumer pay more, e.g. when BT got some of the rights sky didnt reduce the price to reflect they had less games, they actually did the usual annual price rise. But when sky were allowed to bid for all the uk rights, the extra premier league channel was free to sky sports subscribers.

Likewise free to air CL games that were on itv are now gone, now on BT, and sky also lost the CL. So CL fans who pay for sky now have to also pay for BT sport.

Is clearly not sustainable as we will eventually get to the point it will cost £100 just for the sports channels, and income inflation is nowhere near at the level of home entertainment inflation.
As I've said previously, prices will only continue to rise as long as people are prepared to pay silly money.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 21:46   #37
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Just thought I'd revisit this thread after a change in my own viewing habits recently. One of the options I gave in the original poll was "Milleniums following the games on social media" which was only selected twice.

I don't have SKY Sports or BT Sport due to family and work commitments. I rarely have the chance to watch a live game at weekends so a subscription to either or both is almost pointless for me.

At the weekend Rangers played Celtic. I was home watching my son whilst my wife worked. I listened to the game on the radio in the background as we played. As the goals started to pour in I searched social media to see if I catch videos of the action. To my delight I found beIN Sport Australia were Tweeting out short videos, lasting between 30 seconds to 50 second, as key events played out during the game. All the goals, near misses, meaty challenges etc... In total they Tweeted 17 videos from the game as it happened. All in excellent picture quality and totally legal. It appears they do this whenever they are showing a game live. They did it the other night posting 23 videos during Roma vs. Lazio and they're doing it again tonight during the Real Madrid game.

I can see why sport coverage is getting more popular on Social Media. I found the combination of listening to the Old Firm game on radio, with regular video clips of the action on Twitter pretty decent. There wasn't a big delay between goals and videos of the goals being Tweeted by beIn Sport, roughly a minute.

This won't be for everyone but to a certain extent it fits in with my circumstances. More than happy to give it another go in future.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 22:03   #38
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Just tried that and it's not allowing me to watch the video from the Real Madrid game now. I can view the tweets but the video is rights restricted.
Old 02-05-2017, 22:44   #39
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Just tried that and it's not allowing me to watch the video from the Real Madrid game now. I can view the tweets but the video is rights restricted.
That's strange. It allowed me to watch the videos whilst the game was happening but not now
Old 03-05-2017, 07:41   #40
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
That's strange. It allowed me to watch the videos whilst the game was happening but not now
It appears Twitter is moving into video
https://9to5mac.com/2017/05/02/twitt...ideo-partners/
Old 03-05-2017, 20:27   #41
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I have to pay for BT Sport and no-one in this house watches any sports!

Am I missing something - why do you have to pay for BT Sport?
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 22:45   #42
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
They showed clips of all the key moments of tonight's Juventus game. All the clips worked fine for me during the 90 mins. Maybe it's after the finishes they geo-block their videos? That's 3 games in a row I've been able to watch without issue. Must admit I like it. It's about 5 to 7 mins worth of highlights as the game is being played.
Old 03-05-2017, 23:15   #43
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

The Premiership is vacuous crap. Foreign players, foreign managers, supporters that don't go to games or have any connection to the cities they 'support'. People have seen through it. Back to basics , go and see your local non league team ( ultra ultra HD, assuming you're wearing your specs), sod the telly and subscriptions.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 23:34   #44
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
The Premiership is vacuous crap. Foreign players, foreign managers, supporters that don't go to games or have any connection to the cities they 'support'. People have seen through it. Back to basics , go and see your local non league team ( ultra ultra HD, assuming you're wearing your specs), sod the telly and subscriptions.
I do enjoy going to see my local team with my Dad. The ground is just around the corner and it's only £5.00 to get in, or free after half time. The pies are great at only £1.00 plus there's a pub across the road serving pints from £2.50.

Forget professional football. My most vivid and fond memory was when our local team played at Ibrox stadium in 1984. 4 generations of my family at the game plus about 3/4 of the town! Amazing day that still gets spoken of fondly today in the local pubs.

https://youtu.be/R_naBbHu_AU
Old 04-05-2017, 00:24   #45
Pbryanw
cf.addict

Services: Plusnet Fibre Broadband, Phone & TV
Pbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I do enjoy going to see my local team with my Dad.
Forget professional football. My most vivid and fond memory was when our local team played at Ibrox stadium in 1984. 4 generations of my family at the game plus about 3/4 of the town! Amazing day that still gets spoken of fondly today in the local pubs.
[/URL]
I have a similar story. When I was a teenager, my Grandad used to take me to watch my local team (Grimsby Town) when they were in the old first division. There was the one trip to Wembley to watch them win the Auto Windscreens Trophy final.

I don't think I'd go now by myself, as I used to go with my Grandad and it was a way of spending time in his company, and a bonding experience between us.

However, I don't think any TV Football experience will surpass those memories of watching Clive Mendonca, Paul Groves, John Mcdermott (all club legends now) et al. from the Pontoon Stand. So, if you can go with a relative or someone to support your local team, I definitely recommend it too.
Pbryanw is offline   Reply With Quote