Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | SH3 Question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

SH3 Question

Old 30-04-2017, 15:45   #16
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: SH3 Question

No one said it doesnt have issues, they said they personally were not experiencing any.

I have an SH3 and dont have any issues that I notice, but then I dont care at all about online gaming.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-04-2017, 16:05   #17
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
No one said it doesnt have issues, they said they personally were not experiencing any.

I have an SH3 and dont have any issues that I notice, but then I dont care at all about online gaming.

Same here
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 17:56   #18
Gobble
cf.addict

Services: Gig1 SH4-AX86U, Stream
Gobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really nice

I didn't noticed anything until my downstreams changed, then I started getting some odd issues. I first thought it was down to a particular server or peering route... I should be so lucky.

Regardless of what people do or don't notice personally, the fact remains there is an issue with the puma 6 based modems and in recent light, it seems latency is the least of the worries.
Gobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:38   #19
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cje85 View Post
No one is asking for a SH1 but many are asking for SH2AC and reporting problems with gaming that started the moment they switched to a SH3.
OP has a SH1, the point I'm making is that even with the latency issue, the SH3 is still a better device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cje85 View Post
If the Hub actually doesn't have latency issues which impact performance you have to wonder why there's a firmware update being rolled out in the US which reduces latency (surely no need?), plus legal action against Arris and Netgear for continuing to sell modems powered by the Puma 6.
Nobody's saying it doesn't have an issue, just that its impact is overblown. It doesn't cause lag, or warping or rubber-banding in online games. Some games might be more affected than others, depending on how their netcode works, but having play various twitch shooters I haven't noticed any spikes at all - on a SH3 with 20 Downstream channels.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 20:38   #20
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quick question as I'm tethering to my mobile.

My SH is no more, it has ceased to be, it's an ex-modem.

I have a SH3 winging its way to me, my question is what is it IP, is it 192.168.0.1 like the SH1?

I need to put it in to modem mode as my Asus RT-N66U has static IPs set and my xbox is one of them as it has ports open set to its IP.

is the SH3 easy to put in to modem only mode?

Is there a PDF manual?

Last edited by Hom3r; 12-06-2017 at 20:44.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 20:51   #21
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

1. 192.168.100.1
  2. Yes. Just need the admin password from the label, click the modem mode menu then choose modem mode and save. It wil reboot and then be ready to do its job.
  3. Probably a manual or a guide on the VM help section, but in modem mode it's not exactly a complicated bit of kit. Menu looks different but its pretty similar to how the other hubs work. No login required to see the modem info, just to see the settings and firmware version.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 20:56   #22
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Thanks, just torture waiting
Old 12-06-2017, 21:13   #23
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

It takes alot longer to connect compared to the SH1,2 so don't worry, also in router mode all the lights apart from the white strip at the bottom will be off, in modem mode i am not sure how it looks.

Last edited by SnoopZ; 12-06-2017 at 21:21.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 00:07   #24
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I have a SH3 winging its way to me, my question is what is it IP, is it 192.168.0.1 like the SH1?
yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
  1. 192.168.100.1
By default the shub will be in router mode with an ip of 192.168.0.1 and it is only when you put it in modem mode that it switches to 192.168.100.1. Homer will therefore have to access it on 192.168.0.1 to make the change and the only time you will have to go to 100.1 after that is if you want to check the power levels etc via router status.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 12:17   #25
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Pretty sure 192.168.100.1 always works, regardless of modem/router mode.
Old 13-06-2017, 12:36   #26
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

It didnt on my shub 2. I had only used linksys routers for 14 years or so before i got my shub2 and i was scratching my head when i went to 192.168.100.1 and it said page not found. Having read many many posts about shub1 i remembered in router mode it is 0.1 0.1 stopped working once i switched to modem mode and .100.1 responded.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 15:08   #27
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Pretty sure 192.168.100.1 always works, regardless of modem/router mode.
I does on my SH3, thats the address I used initially, before I switched it to modem mode (and once since, when I temp switched back for some testing).

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 22:05   #28
Broken Hope
cf.addict

Broken Hope has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
It takes alot longer to connect compared to the SH1,2 so don't worry, also in router mode all the lights apart from the white strip at the bottom will be off, in modem mode i am not sure how it looks.
In modem mode the white strip is magenta.
Broken Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 22:10   #29
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Hope View Post
In modem mode the white strip is magenta.
Yes i had a feeling it was different but i have no need for modem mode as the Hub3 is sufficient.
Old 15-06-2017, 14:56   #30
Kushan

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
It didnt on my shub 2. I had only used linksys routers for 14 years or so before i got my shub2 and i was scratching my head when i went to 192.168.100.1 and it said page not found. Having read many many posts about shub1 i remembered in router mode it is 0.1 0.1 stopped working once i switched to modem mode and .100.1 responded.
Very peculiar, I am sure it worked on my old SH2 but I switched that to modem mode pretty quickly and never went back.