Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NAS?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NAS?

Old 05-07-2007, 21:05   #1
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age
NAS?

http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=2337

Was thinking of getting one of these as i have a couple of sata drives laying about (one 200gb one 160gb)

Probably put my documents/photos on it and my music so i can access it regardless to which pc i'm currently on.

I did think of getting USB caddys and using the mac mini as the NAS but i think a dedicated box would look nicer than having the mini + caddies + usb hub, that and i might sell the mini as i don't use it much anyway.

Anyone seen something simular for a better price before i take the plunge and order one, It looks very simular to the NAS my dad has and he's quite happy with his.

Svp are doing their 99p shipping deal currently so thinking of ordering before that ends.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2007, 21:19   #2
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground
Re: NAS?

The price looks good and so do the specs. I got one half the price which is just a basic NAS and only holds 1 drive (and it didn't come with one).
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 21:52   #3
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Ive got a Maxtor NAS which would be cheaper, but then i didnt have spare drives "laying around", which make that option cheaper and more flexible
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 23:15   #4
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Ordered one so hopefully will arrrive sometime next week.

Drives were spare becuase I got a new pc recently and I pulled them out of the "old" one
Old 10-07-2007, 20:34   #5
Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
Ordered one so hopefully will arrrive sometime next week.

Drives were spare becuase I got a new pc recently and I pulled them out of the "old" one
If it appeals to anyone, You could use the old comp as a nas too:
http://www.freenas.org/
Old 10-07-2007, 20:42   #6
Acathla
cf.mega poster

Acathla has reached the bronze age
Acathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze age

dragon,

Let us know how the device gets on.

I got rid of my Netgear NAS recently cause it was crap but looking to replace it with a good unit!
Acathla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 20:59   #7
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acathla View Post
dragon,

Let us know how the device gets on.

I got rid of my Netgear NAS recently cause it was crap but looking to replace it with a good unit!
Its Fairly good only slight concern is that the inbuilt proftpd is an older version that has a buffer overflow vulnerability However on your LAN only that's probably not a problem (and i've not tried the exploit code i just know it exists)

Its accessible via Samba (windows file sharing) and FTP, it also has NFS support but i don't have that turned on.
Theres also an itunes server but i've heard it doesn't work properly with itunes 7.2 (i've not used that long enough to comment on the stablity with itunes 7.2)

Its fairly noisy with the 2hdds + fan in it. (mines on my desk so i do hear it, its not that annoying to me since my previous pc was fairly loud)

Get about 3.5 Mbytes/s to it on the wired lan and its fairly simple to setup.
Does take a good few minutes to be ready after a power on tho.

Overall its a neat little box and its certainly worth what it costs