Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless asdl/router for internet access

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless asdl/router for internet access

Old 19-08-2005, 14:22   #1
funkyCable
THE FUNKIEST ON THE BOARD

Services: SERVICES FROM 26/08/05 TV XL services 2MB BROADBRAND UNLIMITED TALK PACKAGE V+ Service (Since 18
funkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nice
Question Wireless asdl/router for internet access

Hi

I am getting NTL installed next week. I have a wireless asdl modem router which has 4 ports to run wired connections from. I am not to sure of the model but it is a Dynamode. Before I used to it to connect to BT and had my PC wired to it. now I am getting cable I wanted to find out instead of using it to dial-up. I was thinking of buying a USB Wireless adaptor and connected the USB adaptor to either the STB or Cable modem and then use the router to gain access to the net. (Have attached my set-up chooses)

Any ideas if this is possible?
funkyCable is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-08-2005, 15:09   #2
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star
Re: Wireless asdl/router for internet access

If I understand correctly, you want to use your old ADSL wireless router with NTL BB.

It will not work directly and probably the easiest thing would be to get a new Cable Wireless Router.

What I think you are getting at is using your main PC as a bridge, with it plugged in to both the STB and the router. In theory this may work but it would be non-trivial to setup and would require you to have the main PC on everytime the wireless PC's want to access the internet. This would only, afaik, work with the PC cabled into the STB via a proper LAN cable (not USB) and you would need a second LAN card in the PC to 'bridge' into the router. In short the extra bits needed and hassle involved would, imo, outweigh the £50 needed for a new router.

HTH
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 15:16   #3
funkyCable

Services: SERVICES FROM 26/08/05 TV XL services 2MB BROADBRAND UNLIMITED TALK PACKAGE V+ Service (Since 18
funkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nice

No i was thinking of using my router as an access to. cus I figured that if my pc was connected to the ROuter or usb adapter and the stb or cablem modem was connected to either my old router or a usb adaptor that I would be able to use the net.

I figures that the cable modem will be online all the time and the router will be on all the time that way my router would just share the internet connection. i was thinking that the router would think that the stb or cablem modem was a pc and would form like an mini LAN or Peer-2-peer.

What is a bridge?
Old 19-08-2005, 15:42   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Ebay the adsl router, and get your self a standalone router. If you ever go back to ADSL the standalone router will work with the ADSL modem as well as cable, but the ADSL router cannot work with cable.

A router works by receiving signals from the net, and then directing them to the appropriate PC, or receiving traffic from individual LAN PCs and sending to the Net. The router acts as the only connection seen by the modem, but you have to connect the router's WAN port to the modem, not one of the LAN ports.

Combined ADSL modem routers do not have a WAN port as they are integrally wired with the modem. As ADSL is different technology to cable networks an ADSL modem will not work with cable.

A second component of the router is the 4 LAN ports. Effectively this is a switch or hub, that can act as a junction box between your different LAN PC wires, so they can pass data internal to your network. The switch/hub has wiring to connect it to the router, but electronics in the router will determine if LAN traffic needs to pass to the net or vice versa.

If you connect a modem to a LAN port of a router, the entire LAN PCs will be seen direct by the modem, as that LAN port is just part of the open junction box. That is no good as the modem will only speak to the first PC is sees and ignore all others.

A bridge is a device allowing you to connect to separate LANs together.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 15:49   #5
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Unfortunately ADSL and Cable 'connect' differently. Your ADSL router knows that it must 'dial' the ISP to make a connection before you can work. A cable router knows the connection is always there but it must get a 'DHCP IP address' from the Cable Modem or STB. Basically an ADSL router will not work directly with a CM/STB based Broadband.

Bridging is where a network device sits on two networks and allows traffic between them, eg the PC would be connected to NTL via the CM/STB and also to the Router. 'Internet Connection Sharing' (ICS) is a software bridge that would allow network traffic to be routed from the CM to the Router. But as I said above, it would be a nightmare to configure!

If you don't have access to a tame network guru, my advice would be to flog the ADSL router on eBay and buy a £50 Wireless Cable Router (from Amazon or eBay).

HTH
Old 19-08-2005, 15:52   #6
funkyCable

I posted something up yesterday http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=33698and was told that you could diable the modem any ideas if i can do it with my router?
Old 19-08-2005, 15:58   #7
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyCable
I posted something up yesterday http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=33698and was told that you could diable the modem any ideas if i can do it with my router?
Hmm from that linked thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris W
am not sure if you could use your current router as an access point- really depends on what make/model it is- you need to be able to disable the ADSL modem in it. If you tell us the make/ model we should be able to confirm if it can be used as an access point.
You need to answer that and guidance may be forthcoming.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 15:59   #8
funkyCable

what about if its two usb wireless adaptors? would that work? instead of using the router. Have one usb in the CM or STB and one in the PC?
Old 19-08-2005, 16:03   #9
Aragorn
Inactive

The problem with that is getting a network (IP) address. Whatever plugs into the STB has to get an IP address using the DHCP protocol. A cable router is designed to get an IP address on its 'WAN' port. If you just plug the STB into one of the four LAN ports on your router it will try to GIVE a DHCP IP address not GET an IP address! So even if you disable the ADSL modem, no ADSL router, afaik, has the ability to get an IP address from a CM/STB.

Sorry, but it's going to have to be a shiny new cable router!
Old 19-08-2005, 17:35   #10
funkyCable

I got the make/mode its a dynamode R-asdl-c4g-g could somebody tell me if i can or cannot diable it?