Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | need help networking a pc and laptop in order to share files...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

need help networking a pc and laptop in order to share files...

Old 19-08-2005, 09:43   #1
craigcroarkin
Inactive

craigcroarkin is an unknown quantity at this point
need help networking a pc and laptop in order to share files...

just getting a laptop for university but i want to transfer files from my pc to my shiny new laptop and since i do not have a dvd rewriter or cd rewriter on the pc the only other option is to network both

ive connected both via a crossover cable (i know that it is a crossover cable as ts the same one i use to connect to my xbox from my pc)

i also changed the ip address on the pc to 192.168.0.1 and the laptop to 192.168.0.2 in network connections on both the pc and laptop it says they are connected

ive also shared folders on my pc for use in the network but when i go to see the folders on my latop by typing \\cc\ i just get a error saying i cant connect,cc being the computer name of my pc

can anybody hep out please,cheers in advance
craigcroarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-08-2005, 09:48   #2
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
Re: need help networking a pc and laptop in order to share files...

Make sure File and Printer sharing for Microsoft networks is selected under the Network Tab of your connection properties and that both computers are in the same workgroup name.

Also, daft i know, but have you tried to ping each machine just to make sure they can see each other?
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 09:51   #3
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Try changing the default gateway on the PC to the IP of the laptop, and vice versa..

You could also try using the IP address of the machine, instead of the name (e.g. \\192.168.0.1).

Finally, if you are running XP Pro, try disabling "Simple File Sharing"
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 09:53   #4
craigcroarkin
Inactive

ok thanks guys,ill have a try at that now
Old 19-08-2005, 10:31   #5
craigcroarkin
Inactive

not working! ive went to "view workgroup computers" in network connections and my laptop is there on my laptop BUT on my pc when i go to view workgroup computers i get the following error mesage

"MSHOME is not accesible,you might not have permissions to use the network resource.contact the adminstrator of the server to find out if you have access permissions. the list of servers for the workgroup is not currently avaliable"

does it matter that my laptop is running on xp home and my pc is running on xp pro sp2?

also how do i ping to see if each computer is seeing each other?
Old 19-08-2005, 11:22   #6
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

Unless you have admin rights on you XP Pro machine you wont be able to change the workgroup - the Workgroup should be the same on both machines.

Also, to ping, goto Start->Run and type cmd and hit return

in the box that pops up type.

ping 192.168.0.x

where x is the IP address of the connected machine, NOT the machine you are on.

If this works you should see responses.
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 11:25   #7
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Make sure that the account you are logged into is created on both machines as an Administrator, and that it has the same user name and password on both machines.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 12:06   #8
craigcroarkin
Inactive

still not working,done the ping test and its saying its not recognized as a internal or external command

can somebody give me step by step instructions on how to do this please as its really annoying me!!!! and i need to transfer some important assignments over

thanks in advance!
Old 19-08-2005, 12:20   #9
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

What operating system are you running?
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 12:33   #10
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin
Make sure that the account you are logged into is created on both machines as an Administrator, and that it has the same user name and password on both machines.
Not necessary... Windows will display the username/password dialog box so you can connect as the user on the remote machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C
What operating system are you running?
He says earlier it's a combo of XP Home and XP Pro

I'd recommend going through each of the steps in this CF article... http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...73&postcount=1

to Cable Forum, by the way, Craig

Just a thought... have you shared the directory where the assignments are stored? Right-click on the directory and select the Sharing option. Then browse directly to that directory from your laptop //computer_name/shared_directory_name
edit: d'oh! Just re-read your original post, and saw that you have shared the directory. In that case navigate directly to that directory, instead of just //cc/ or try //cc/c$ if that's been shared.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 16:51   #11
craigcroarkin
Inactive

right ive tried everything that people on here have said and still no luck,now borrowed a router off a friend (linksys 4 port cable router with 4 point switch) hooked that all up,done the wizard and renewed the ip addresses yet i still get the same error when going to "view workgroup computers"

"MSHOME is not accesible,you might not have permissions to use the network resource.contact the adminstrator of the server to find out if you have access permissions. the list of servers for the workgroup is not currently avaliable"

this is starting to drive me crazy,can anybody tell me whats going wrong?

p.s. forgot to add,thankyou to everyone on here for giving me help so far! much appreciated and thanks for the friendly welcome gareth
Old 19-08-2005, 16:53   #12
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Got any software firewalls running?

(that includes the XP one)

If so, disable them.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 16:59   #13
Gareth
cf.mega poster

You ping by going to a command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd, then type ping computer_name ...replacing computer_name with the machine you want to ping).

Have you got a firewall running, and if so, have you got it configured to allow your laptop to connect?

Are both machines in the same workgroup? Are they both using the same subnet mask?

ack, I really am slow at typing today.
Old 19-08-2005, 17:07   #14
craigcroarkin
Inactive

ive disabled windows xp firewall on both,no other firewalls present,both machines are in same MSHOME workgroup

how do i check the subnet mask?

ive tried pinging but keep getting the message "ping request could not find host CC" everytime,im about ready to fling both of these out of the window
Old 19-08-2005, 17:13   #15
Gareth
cf.mega poster

You can check the subnet mask by looking at the advanced section of your IP address... Control Panel -> Network & Dial-up Connections, right-click the connection and look at the properties (or something like that... not at a Windows box at the moment, so having to try and remember that last bit)

The ping reply means that it's failing... hence why you can't connect cause your machine can't see the other machine. You could check it by replacing the name of the machien with the IP address, but I'd guess you get the same result.

If you do throw the laptop outta the window, let me know where you live, cause I could do with a new 'puter