Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | HUB3 router mode or Modem mode with Asus RT N66U

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

HUB3 router mode or Modem mode with Asus RT N66U

Old 25-01-2017, 11:09   #1
Lee
cf.addict

Lee is on a distinguished roadLee is on a distinguished road
Question HUB3 router mode or Modem mode with Asus RT N66U

Hi all,

have just today switched to the 200 gamer package as my son is now avidly into gaming. To be honest I'm not expecting much difference over the existing 200M that we already have, but it ended up being cheaper switching!

I was told on the phone that they will send me a new HUB3 for the gamer 200 product and have been reading up in anticipation of it arriving. From what I'm reading though I'm not exactly looking forward to using it. It appears to be worse for gaming than the HUB2 I already have.

So I have a few questions on what people think will be the best setup. I currently have the HUB2 in modem mode and an asus RT N66U doing the routing.

Q1. Is it worth ditching the N66U and using the HUB3 in router mode to take advantage of the AC protocol?

or just setup the HUB3 in modem mode and keep the N66U?

Q2. Can I just keep the HUB2 or is it required to use the HUB3 for the gamer product? From what I was told on the phone it seems I need to use the HUB3.

All thoughts gratefully accepted
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-01-2017, 13:08   #2
mike86
cf.addict

mike86 is on a distinguished roadmike86 is on a distinguished road
Re: HUB3 router mode or Modem mode with Asus RT N66U

The SuperHub 3 is worse for gaming than the SuperHub 2. If your son doesn't stream video then there's no reason to have 200Mb Gamer and I'd advise switching back.
mike86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 13:14   #3
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

No need to switch back as you got a better deal. Just continue with present set-up and when they resolve the SH3 problems (if they do) then you can use it.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 13:18   #4
Lee
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
No need to switch back as you got a better deal. Just continue with present set-up and when they resolve the SH3 problems (if they do) then you can use it.
Do you mean keep the HUB2 running?

On the phone the agent made it sound like I have to use the HUB3 with the gamer service.
Old 25-01-2017, 13:19   #5
mike86
cf.addict

The SuperHub 3 is required to activate 200Mb gamer though, so you won't benefit from the faster uploads until you do. However some say it's possible to switch back to the old Hub and keep the 200Mb gamer profile if you ask the right person nicely.
Old 25-01-2017, 13:24   #6
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Use the hub 3 in modem mode with your Asus doing the routing. It'll be a clean swap and you'll be future proofed with minimal disruption.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 13:54   #7
Lee
cf.addict

OK thanks all. Guess I'm stuck with it for now.
Old 26-01-2017, 12:57   #8
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

I think the gaming issues with the HUB 3 are overblown. I have had a Hub 3 plugged into my N66U for over a year now, I play all kinds of games and haven't had any issues.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 11:57   #9
Lee
cf.addict

Thanks all.

So far not noticing any issues with the HUB3 in modem mode. I tried to setup a BQM but just seems to give me 100% packet loss. Presumably cos my router isn't responding to pings.

On the plus side my downloads seem to be higher now on the HUB3 than the HUB2. Don't know how that is possible, but it is!

I used to see 24MB/s max on the HUB2 but now on the HUB3 i can see up to 27MB/s.
Old 30-01-2017, 17:34   #10
mike86
cf.addict

The 200Mb Gamer package is provisioned at 230Mbps vs 220Mbps for regular 200Mb, and the SH3 can utilise more downstream channels than the SH2, so these factors might explain the speed increase.
Old 30-01-2017, 18:17   #11
Lee
cf.addict

Ahh that would explain the increase then, thanks.
Old 30-01-2017, 22:03   #12
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Confucious says: "whichever superdud they give you , stick it in modem mode".

He also said something about being nice to the poor, but ignore that.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 10:09   #13
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
I think the gaming issues with the HUB 3 are overblown. I have had a Hub 3 plugged into my N66U for over a year now, I play all kinds of games and haven't had any issues.
Same, never had any issues on PSN or PC games on my SH3
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 21:21   #14
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Same here Kush. SH3 in modem-only mode with N66U. My sons have no trouble with serious gaming on PC or Play station. OK I'm on 300/20 but it is connection quality and modem problems that can cause issues whatever the bandwidth.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote