Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM 500mbps testing?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

VM 500mbps testing?

Old 06-02-2017, 13:12   #46
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: VM 500mbps testing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidder23 View Post
lol here this every time let's all go back to 700kbs then

the internet speed goes up first then the Services come
4K netflix any one
what about steam
50GB+ for sum games

if it go's up more makes 8K netflix more feasible
think 3 kids mom and dad to

there is never a need until it comes
and don't forget it forces other isp's to react

wheres my 10Gbs lol
I agree with you in principle, but I think there's diminishing returns on this as well.

The way I like to think of it is back in the late 90's when 56k was considered fast, a 700Mb ISO (About the average size of a "big" download) would take you the better part of a day and a half to download.

Fast forward to the early/mid 2000's, connections started hitting about 1mbit, maybe 2mbit if you were lucky - at the time, HD content wasn't prevalent at all and most films were about 700Mbit in size (Good ol' XviD) - now it only takes you maybe 90mins to 2 hours to download that same film. If you wanted the raw DVD (Say 9GB) it would take you about a day to get, maybe 2 - so in terms of speed, roughly, a full DVD ISO would take about the same time as a full CD ISO in the 90's but most people were happy with just the XviD download.

Now let's look at today's landscape - Virgin's slowest connection is 50mbit, a HD (1080p/h.264) film is maybe about 12GB on average - this takes you about 35mins to download on that 50mbit, on the 100Mbit it's less than 20mins. Even when 4k content becomes prevalent, the file sizes aren't going to double so things have still got faster.

That 50Gb game you speak of (Which is really at the top end of things) still only takes 2-3 hours to download on that 50mbit connection. At 100 or 200mbit, it's less than an hour. Speeds have gotten faster than the content is being served, so yes while I agree that more speed is generally better, I can see a limit (probably at the magical "gigabit" number) for the near future.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement