Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM 500mbps testing?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

VM 500mbps testing?

Old 23-01-2017, 15:34   #1
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all
VM 500mbps testing?

Talking to staff in a VM shop on Saturday, one told me VM are testing 500Mbps, true or false?
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-01-2017, 16:32   #2
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age
Re: VM 500mbps testing?

True

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 16:57   #3
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Interesting, however i'd say unnecessary for over 90% of residential customers.

I'd much rather see them boost the upload speeds to be perfectly honest, don't suppose they mentioned anything about that?
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 17:12   #4
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
Interesting, however i'd say unnecessary for over 90% of residential customers.

I'd much rather see them boost the upload speeds to be perfectly honest, don't suppose they mentioned anything about that?
Even 100Meg is probably more than 90% of customers "need".
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 17:14   #5
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Even 100Meg is probably more than 90% of customers "need".
True. Just a bit of a pain you have to pay for a download speed you don't need / want just go get a decent upload.

100 DS does us fine, but the 6 US isn't brilliant when I have 5-6 people streaming from my Plex server at the same time.
Old 23-01-2017, 19:23   #6
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Aye, upstream is sorely needed.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 19:40   #7
SimonB79
Inactive

SimonB79 will become famous soon enoughSimonB79 will become famous soon enoughSimonB79 will become famous soon enough
Question Re: VM 500mbps testing?

will this be an automatic vivid300 upgrade or yet another tier?

(It'll go nice with my Netgear Orbi mind!)
SimonB79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 20:55   #8
Synthetic
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB79 View Post
will this be an automatic vivid300 upgrade or yet another tier?

(It'll go nice with my Netgear Orbi mind!)
Long way off if it is a new tier, they're barely advertising 300Mbps yet (that i've seen)
Old 23-01-2017, 21:13   #9
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Services: Freeview Play, Virgin Media Gig1
Daveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
Long way off if it is a new tier, they're barely advertising 300Mbps yet (that i've seen)
300mbps isn't available everywhere yet. It's not available in some parts of Bristol, but it is in others.

I don't think they've published any sort of schedule for its rollout.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 23:11   #10
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
300mbps isn't available everywhere yet. It's not available in some parts of Bristol, but it is in others.

I don't think they've published any sort of schedule for its rollout.
Depends what hubsite you're connected to. It won't be long until you're connected to an E6000 cmts. Probably in the next couple of months.
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 01:47   #11
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
Aye, upstream is sorely needed.
Something like 50/50 would be perfect, I'd even settle for 30/30
Old 24-01-2017, 08:45   #12
Synthetic
cf.geek

Even the old 10:1 would be nice.

50/5, 100/10, 200/20 (non gamer) and 300/30. Not sure the network is in a state to be able to provide 500/50 though?
Old 24-01-2017, 10:08   #13
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm_tech View Post
Depends what hubsite you're connected to. It won't be long until you're connected to an E6000 cmts. Probably in the next couple of months.
or a Cisco CBR8
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 13:45   #14
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

The guy I was replying to will be on an E6000
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 14:55   #15
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

New equipment, excellent, wonder if these will lead to general speed increase across the tiers?
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote