Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Can anyone recommend a wireless access point?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Can anyone recommend a wireless access point?

Old 02-10-2006, 16:29   #1
jonhenry187
Inactive

Services: Telewest TV Telewest Broadband Internet 5meg
jonhenry187 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to jonhenry187
Can anyone recommend a wireless access point?

Our office is currently running on an annoyingly slow 54mbps wireless network.
I am planning to upgrade to a faster version.

We are currently using an OLD Netgear 802.11b Access Point:
http://www.networklab.co.uk/cmodem/images/me102.jpg

Now i have looked at many on the market and think this might be best:
http://www.morecomputers.co.uk/textr...ferer=dealtime

BUT im worried that it wont work because IF it has a router built in (i cant tell if it does) it will almost definatly conflict with BT business broadband router.

So all i am looking for is a simple but fast Access Point, no router. Preferably 108mbps.

Can anyone reccommend anything?

Thanks in advance.

Jon
jonhenry187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2006, 16:30   #2
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star
Re: CAN ANYONE RECCOMMEND A WIRELESS ACCES POINT?

Do you have to shout? Jeez....
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 16:33   #3
jonhenry187
Inactive

no, sorry
Old 02-10-2006, 16:36   #4
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonhenry187 View Post
Our office is currently running on an annoyingly slow 54mbps wireless network.
I am planning to upgrade to a faster version.

We are currently using an OLD Netgear 802.11b Access Point:
http://www.networklab.co.uk/cmodem/images/me102.jpg

Now i have looked at many on the market and think this might be best:
http://www.morecomputers.co.uk/textr...ferer=dealtime

BUT im worried that it wont work because IF it has a router built in (i cant tell if it does) it will almost definatly conflict with BT business broadband router.

So all i am looking for is a simple but fast Access Point, no router. Preferably 108mbps.

Can anyone reccommend anything?

Thanks in advance.

Jon
If it's 802.11b it won't be running at 54 mbps will it?
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 16:37   #5
TheNorm
Inactive

TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Quote:
no, sorry
OK, that's better. I may be old but I'm not deaf (yet).

Yes, WAPs seem to be pretty thin on the ground, but you can get a wireless router and "disable" the router, so avoiding conflict. I'll let someone else make a recommendation as I haven't purchased one in a while.
Old 02-10-2006, 16:44   #6
jonhenry187
Inactive

Well i wouldnt know.

What i DO know is its very slow.

The access point was brought in from home when BT installed our network then gave us a wireless router that wasnt compatible. They wanted to charge us to have someone come out and sort it. I said no way lol.

All i need is an up-to-date wireless access point, no router, just access, running on the new 802.11g.

Can you reccommend anything?

---------- Post added at 15:44 ---------- Previous post was at 15:39 ----------

Thanks Norm,

I didnt know they could be disabled.

With the one we were provided me and a friend sat around it for hours trying every possible combination of settings to get it to work, and i dont remember there being a disable option.

I will definatly look into it, only problem is they dont seem to advertise that as a feature of wireless routers lol
Old 02-10-2006, 16:51   #7
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star
Re: Can anyone recommend a wireless access point?

Personally I'm a Linksys fan - a WAP54G would probably do you.

Don't forget that if even one client is using an old 11b adapter, the whole network will run at 11b speeds! What speed is your BT connection? Don't forget you and your colleagues will be sharing that connection, ie if there is a 10Mb connection to BT, having a 54Mb wlan isn't going to make much difference to browsing. The only difference will be to the internal file servers, if you have any.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 16:57   #8
jonhenry187
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Personally I'm a Linksys fan - a WAP54G would probably do you.

Don't forget that if even one client is using an old 11b adapter, the whole network will run at 11b speeds! What speed is your BT connection? Don't forget you and your colleagues will be sharing that connection, ie if there is a 10Mb connection to BT, having a 54Mb wlan isn't going to make much difference to browsing. The only difference will be to the internal file servers, if you have any.
Thanks a lot mate i think that will do me great.

No surfing the net isnt the problem its file transfer and slow network speeds.
All our recievers are 802.11g its just the access point is only b, so its slowing everything down.

Thanks for your help mate!
Old 02-10-2006, 17:13   #9
TheNorm
Inactive

Quote:
...I didnt know they could be disabled.

With the one we were provided me and a friend sat around it for hours trying every possible combination of settings to get it to work, and i dont remember there being a disable option.

I will definatly look into it, only problem is they dont seem to advertise that as a feature of wireless routers lol
Here's how its done: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/11233
Old 02-10-2006, 23:46   #10
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/45025/rb/22160153974
Ebuyer have the WAP54G

One other thing, are the clients just standard 54g, or any possible expansion of it?
If they have a mode which is faster than 54g, matching the AP up to it would be a good idea.

PS. If all clients are 54g and there is no significant co-channel interference from any 802.11b kit, turning off 802.11b compatibility may improve speed.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote