Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Computer says not connected to wireless, but it is?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Computer says not connected to wireless, but it is?

Old 21-05-2009, 12:34   #1
Pia
Inactive

Services: XL Phone XL BB V+ XL TV
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Pia
Computer says not connected to wireless, but it is?

I have a Netgear router, using a Toshiba laptop.

Last few days my computer says it's not connected to the network, but i can still browse the web and it's definitely not connected to any neighbours routers or anything.

Why is this?
Pia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-05-2009, 12:38   #2
Pia
Inactive

Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Computer says not connected to wireless, but it is??

Ooh confusing, it contradicts itself here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.JPG (42.5 KB, 51 views)
Old 21-05-2009, 12:41   #3
NoKnowledge
Inactive

NoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Computer says not connected to wireless, but it is?

Have you tried powering off the router and back on after 30 seconds or more?
NoKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 12:46   #4
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Are you sure there isn't a 3rd party toshiba application controlling the wireless or fighting Windows for control of the wireless? We often have to disable them and put WZC back in charge.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 20:32   #5
Pia
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKnowledge View Post
Have you tried powering off the router and back on after 30 seconds or more?
Yep have tried this, no change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Are you sure there isn't a 3rd party toshiba application controlling the wireless or fighting Windows for control of the wireless? We often have to disable them and put WZC back in charge.
Nope there's nothing else running, i know Toshiba has a lot of its own apps but i've never used them and never had a problem.

It's not causing too much of a problem except for when i turn the lappy on, it always cannot connect to internet for a short while but then it says "Not Connected. You are connected" as above
Old 21-05-2009, 21:48   #6
NoKnowledge
Inactive

NoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond repute

I would click the "disconnect" button and restart everything and see what happens OR hit "disconnect" and then re-type your password and connect.
NoKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 22:13   #7
CHiLL
cf.geek

Services: Sky+ TV and Virgin Media 10MB Internet.
CHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of light

There is an option in the settings of a connection that allow you to connect to the wireless even when it isn't broadcasting. Could that option be selected?
CHiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 10:56   #8
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

I get this when using VPN client.

Because the client effectively locks the network to the VPN the PC can't see the router anymore so can report no connection but with the radio level high and connected at that level.
Old 22-05-2009, 12:19   #9
MikeyB
cf.geek

Services: BT FTTP, Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat+
MikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud of

I get this now & then on my Dell laptop with my Linksys router.

The little connection icon by the clock either says "not connected" or "acquiring IP address" but the connection works fine, I don't worry about it myself!!!
MikeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2009, 09:56   #10
Walford
Inactive

Services: 10MB Broadband from VM
Walford is on a distinguished roadWalford is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyB View Post
I get this now & then on my Dell laptop with my Linksys router.

The little connection icon by the clock either says "not connected" or "acquiring IP address" but the connection works fine, I don't worry about it myself!!!
Same ere too! I can still us the internet during this though. I mostly used to happen on my XP laptop before I upgraded to Vista, but it still happens on the VIsta, just not that often.
Walford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2009, 09:59   #11
Sir John Luke
Inactive

Sir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful one

Possibly referring to the Ethernet port not being connected?
Sir John Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2009, 10:56   #12
paul marshall
Inactive

paul marshall is on a distinguished roadpaul marshall is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have just joined so hi. I have the same hardware, Toshiba etc and run vista. I have this at least once a week, it is like an echo in the system or something. I have to close down and restart to gain my best connection back which is a pain in the ***se. If the connection is ok I just leave it,

cheers

P
paul marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2009, 11:00   #13
Pia
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKnowledge View Post
I would click the "disconnect" button and restart everything and see what happens OR hit "disconnect" and then re-type your password and connect.
Have tried this, no difference
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHiLL View Post
There is an option in the settings of a connection that allow you to connect to the wireless even when it isn't broadcasting. Could that option be selected?
Not that i'm aware of, i couldn't see any such option though?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir John Luke View Post
Possibly referring to the Ethernet port not being connected?
Have never used a wired connection on the laptop, always wireless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul marshall View Post
Hi,

I have just joined so hi. I have the same hardware, Toshiba etc and run vista. I have this at least once a week, it is like an echo in the system or something. I have to close down and restart to gain my best connection back which is a pain in the ***se. If the connection is ok I just leave it,

cheers

P
Hi, .

Thanks for the reply, it doesn't seem to go away for me, and the only real time it's affecting me is when i first turn the laptop on, as it doesn't connect so i have to switch off wireless button etc and get it to connect even though nothing on the lappy says it's connected!
Old 24-05-2009, 11:52   #14
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

I know Toshiba have a bit of software installed on laptops they use for connecting to wireless networks, I've had similar problems at work and usually uninstall the bit of software. I cannot remember off the top of my head what its called, something like OneConnect or AutoConfigure. If it comes to me I'll post again.
Old 24-05-2009, 12:06   #15
Pia
Inactive

There's an app called ConfigFree in the Toshiba folder which reckons my wireless switch is off