Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] Football talk

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] Football talk
Closed Thread

Old 24-08-2004, 16:56   #1516
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
Re: [Merged] - Football talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKing
Great buy for £4m quid or total and utter waste of oxygen? Given the number of penalties he gave away during Euro 2004 and his general shambolic performances I'd rather have a real plank of wood in my defence.
Wow so he had a bad tournament and the means hes crap?

Last season he and Rio were the best centre back pairing in the permiership until Rio got banned for forgetting to **** in his pot and brown was brought back to early and things fell apart.

The year before that when Man Utd won the title we conceded 34 goals, the least in the premier league, Arsenal conceded 42.

Quote:
....possibly Howard, who isn't the best keeper in the Premiership
The PFA seem to think he is.

But you are right, Lehmann is a good keeper, the only thing suspect is his kicking sometimes, and he seems to be easy to provoke.
Advertisement
Old 24-08-2004, 17:08   #1517
BBKing
R.I.P.

Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
Send a message via ICQ to BBKing

If your defence fell apart when Rio wasn't in it and Silvestre was, yet was firm when both were in it, that would suggest that the firmness came from *Rio*, and Silvestre was as rubbish as the rest of them, rather in the same way that we can't keep a clean sheet without Campbell.

Silvestre is crap because he's crap - not that he's always been crap, he was quite good a few seasons ago, particularly going forward, but I can't put my finger on why he looks like Division 1 quality these days. Possibly the aging United midfield has something to do with it.

Incidentally, has any commentor been caught saying something along the lines of 'I expect Crystal Palace will drop into the Coca-Cola next May'? I'd pay good money to watch that.

Quote:
The PFA seem to think he is.
So they did. Possibly having seven Arsenal players instead of just six would have looked like bias.

Lehmann isn't known as the Mad Monk for nothing, he's a nut, but most keepers are nuts. Very intelligent, articulate chap when you hear him interviewed, but still a nut. Presumably Howard's interviews have to be on after the watershed, poor chap.
Old 24-08-2004, 17:15   #1518
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

Quote:
If your defence fell apart when Rio wasn't in it and Silvestre was, yet was firm when both were in it, that would suggest that the firmness came from *Rio*, and Silvestre was as rubbish as the rest of them, rather in the same way that we can't keep a clean sheet without Campbell.

Silvestre is crap because he's crap - not that he's always been crap, he was quite good a few seasons ago, particularly going forward, but I can't put my finger on why he looks like Division 1 quality these days. Possibly the aging United midfield has something to do with it.

Incidentally, has any commentor been caught saying something along the lines of 'I expect Crystal Palace will drop into the Coca-Cola next May'? I'd pay good money to watch that.
Er no, as if you would read what I wrote, I said the problem in our defence was caused by Brown being brought back too early from his injury and not being match fit. Once Wes was properly match fit you will have notice that our defence got a lot better towards the end of the season. But I suppose that was Wes carryng Silvestre eh?
Old 24-08-2004, 17:29   #1519
BBKing
R.I.P.

Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
Send a message via ICQ to BBKing

I just thought they were both laughably rubbish, to be honest. The fact that Silvestre carried on being rubbish even when put in a defence with the highly acceptable Gallas tends to support that argument.

Re: Howard, if he's so good why did Carroll replace him later in the season?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...td/3613339.stm
Old 24-08-2004, 17:33   #1520
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

I don't know....these Arse supporters.....

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 24-08-2004, 17:34   #1521
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

Quote:
I just thought they were both laughably rubbish, to be honest. The fact that Silvestre carried on being rubbish even when put in a defence with the highly acceptable Gallas tends to support that argument.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...td/3613339.stm
Howard came straight from MLS into the Prem. As their season finishes as ours starts he had no break and needed a rest so Carroll came in. He did so well that it wasn't fair to bring back Howard.

Lehman was dodgy on Sunday for those goals and made a few mistakes in Europe as well last season.. plus nearly got sent off a few times
Old 24-08-2004, 17:38   #1522
gazzae
Inactive

OK so lets look at the stats..

2003/2004 season
Silvestre Goals conceded 29 Clean Sheets 11
Campbell Goals conceded 23 Clean Sheets 14

Ok so not much in that

2002/2003
Silvestre Goals Conceded 28 Clean Sheets 12
Campbell Goals Conceded 34 Clean Sheets 9

Oh wow look at that, a laughably rubbish defender out preforming one of the best defenders in england.

(Stats are available at http://www.premierleague.com)

Quote:
Because he was getting a lot of abuse from the press about his so called "mistake" against porto that Fergie gave him a rest. And if you remember back it was Howard who started the FA Cup final.

Ok so if our defensive is so bad, and Ferdinand is the only one who holds it together, you played us twice last year after Ferdinand was suspended, how come Arsenal, with their great attacking players, were unable to beat us?
Old 24-08-2004, 17:40   #1523
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Don't forget, you're trying to argue a good point with Arse supporters....so it'll never work

Next you'll have them believing they can win back-to-back titles...

I'll get me coat.....

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 24-08-2004, 17:58   #1524
Marge
Inactive

Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars

Well some good news for the Utd folk, Brown should be back for the match tomorrow
Old 24-08-2004, 18:37   #1525
Atomic22
Inactive

Services: Very High Monthly Bills!
Atomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really nice
Send a message via ICQ to Atomic22 Send a message via AIM to Atomic22 Send a message via MSN to Atomic22 Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic22

brown is good when he plays debs but i think he is a bit of an anderton.....
i would offload him and buy ledley king....just the thing we need to get our trophy back this year
Old 24-08-2004, 18:39   #1526
Atomic22
Inactive

Services: Very High Monthly Bills!
Atomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really nice
Send a message via ICQ to Atomic22 Send a message via AIM to Atomic22 Send a message via MSN to Atomic22 Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic22

hmm just read in the sun about united offering 5m for figo......sounds interesting to say the least
Old 24-08-2004, 18:41   #1527
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

More lookalikes -
Old 25-08-2004, 10:18   #1528
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

was at the Palace v Chelsea game last night. Was one of the supporters who went away upset. For all of Chlesea's stars and the fact that one of their players cost more than our team I wasn't that impressed with their performance. I was expecting a 6-0 to them but was instead dissapointed to not get a draw or a 1-0 loss out of the game. Throught Drogba and Kezman weren't very good to be honest and the whole team didn't put in the performance to show the quality they have.

One thing did notice is that nearly every move Chelsea makes goes through Lampard. He really has come on as a player since joining them and you can see this when he plays for England as well.
Old 25-08-2004, 11:29   #1529
sherer
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsy42
Well some good news for the Utd folk, Brown should be back for the match tomorrow
brown's another of these players like O'Shea. When they are on top of their game they are one of the best defenders in the league.. when they aren't they can be woefull.

Both of them could do no wrong when they first broke into the side and have then go downhill abit since then. Think if Brown can get a full a run in the team he can get back to where he was but when Rio comes back it will be him and Mickey at Centre Half and Brown will be on the bench.
Old 25-08-2004, 12:06   #1530
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer
was at the Palace v Chelsea game last night. Was one of the supporters who went away upset. For all of Chlesea's stars and the fact that one of their players cost more than our team I wasn't that impressed with their performance. I was expecting a 6-0 to them but was instead dissapointed to not get a draw or a 1-0 loss out of the game. Throught Drogba and Kezman weren't very good to be honest and the whole team didn't put in the performance to show the quality they have.

One thing did notice is that nearly every move Chelsea makes goes through Lampard. He really has come on as a player since joining them and you can see this when he plays for England as well.
I love Palace, They are my secound team. I go to see them play a lot as my gran used to live in a street near the stadium. Couldnt belive they went up last season.

I thought you where a united supporter?
Closed Thread