Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | tivo to cablemodem private network

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

tivo to cablemodem private network

Old 18-07-2013, 21:53   #1
cappilio
Inactive

cappilio is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb tivo to cablemodem private network

Hi guys

The name is jamie new to the forums nice to meet ya. Hopefully I can pick someone's brains

I've been with virgin media about 5 years yesterday they finally came and upgraded me to TiVo. I made the mistake of leaving it to the wife while I was at work. If got home and oh no. They replaced my trusty dir-615 with its dd-wrt firmware with there super hub "almost cried"

But hey ho I got over that when in did a speed test, seems the cable modem in the superhub was a tad better than my old one as it made my connection alot quicker .

So I might have lost full control over my network but I'm faster so what the heck.

The next thing I do is check out the TiVo box. Straight into settings to see what I can play with, I went into network settings and noticed I wasn't connected to the LAN which was expected as a cable to the router is not practical, and there is no built in wireless. However I did notice another IP address the box had a 10. Address now I'm assuming with that class of IP it has has some sort of private network with the superhub.

My question is, if this TiVo box is already establishing some connection with the superhub , why would I need a seperate LAN connection? Surely there is a way of forwarding the correct ports so I can directly connect to that 10. Address from my network?

Which would mean I could use the TiVo remote function across the network that way instead of having to run a huge cable or purchase an adapter?

It then led me into thinking all sorts.
Can I access the TiVo HDD like a network location? Or somehow enable this?
Can I customise the TiVos firmware?
Can I get a web front end on my tivo ?
Can I talent or SSH into the box?

Sorry if not listed the model box but I haven't looked its just the very latest one which im sure you guys will no.

I look forward to reading your replys
cappilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-07-2013, 22:44   #2
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: tivo to cablemodem private network

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappilio View Post
Hi guys

The name is jamie new to the forums nice to meet ya. Hopefully I can pick someone's brains

I've been with virgin media about 5 years yesterday they finally came and upgraded me to TiVo. I made the mistake of leaving it to the wife while I was at work. If got home and oh no. They replaced my trusty dir-615 with its dd-wrt firmware with there super hub "almost cried"

But hey ho I got over that when in did a speed test, seems the cable modem in the superhub was a tad better than my old one as it made my connection alot quicker .

So I might have lost full control over my network but I'm faster so what the heck.

The next thing I do is check out the TiVo box. Straight into settings to see what I can play with, I went into network settings and noticed I wasn't connected to the LAN which was expected as a cable to the router is not practical, and there is no built in wireless. However I did notice another IP address the box had a 10. Address now I'm assuming with that class of IP it has has some sort of private network with the superhub.

My question is, if this TiVo box is already establishing some connection with the superhub , why would I need a seperate LAN connection? Surely there is a way of forwarding the correct ports so I can directly connect to that 10. Address from my network?
The Tivo is not connecting to the superhub. The Tivo has it's own 10 meg connection to the cable network (which is used for things like On Demand).
Quote:
Which would mean I could use the TiVo remote function across the network that way instead of having to run a huge cable or purchase an adapter?
You can control the Tivo using various apps, the most complete of which is probably VM's TV Anywhere app (although this is iOS only). You do need the Tivo connected to your home network though.
Quote:
It then led me into thinking all sorts.
Can I access the TiVo HDD like a network location? Or somehow enable this?
Can I customise the TiVos firmware?
Can I get a web front end on my tivo ?
Can I talent or SSH into the box?

Sorry if not listed the model box but I haven't looked its just the very latest one which im sure you guys will no.

I look forward to reading your replys
Sorry to say but you can't do any of that and any attempt is against the terms and conditions of service, so even attempting it may get your service terminated.

VM's Tivo is not like the old Series 1 Tivo. People owned the Series 1, so could do what they liked with it. Only VM own the VM Tivos.

Welcome to the forum though.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 12:15   #3
cappilio
Inactive

Thanks, thats unfortunate. would have been nice to be able to pull my programs off my Tivo etc, i know that would be against the rules but i thought someone would of hacked it by now. do you know if there any wireless adapters for the tivo's that dont require a separate power source?

also is there a way to put the superhub into bridge mode so i can use a proper router?
Old 19-07-2013, 12:55   #4
Jameseh

There aren't any wireless adaptor's for the Virgin TiVo no, but the Superhub does have modem mode yes.
Old 19-07-2013, 13:06   #5
cappilio
Inactive

im assuming there isnt an option on the the GUI to enable this mode? SSh Job?
Old 19-07-2013, 14:26   #6
Jameseh

Nope it's available through the interface; http://192.168.0.1/superhub_settings.asp
Old 19-07-2013, 15:40   #7
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappilio View Post
Thanks, thats unfortunate. would have been nice to be able to pull my programs off my Tivo etc, i know that would be against the rules but i thought someone would of hacked it by now. do you know if there any wireless adapters for the tivo's that dont require a separate power source?
It's not specifically for the Tivo, but Netgear do a good wireless access point that is USB powered. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wnce2001-100.../dp/B004SK40O0 .

It needs one USB socket for power (although you can use an adaptor if you don't have USB, but the Tivo does) and Ethernet for the data connection.

I use one of these on my Blu Ray player and it works pretty well.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote