Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Actiontec ntl cable router problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Actiontec ntl cable router problem

Old 12-11-2005, 13:07   #1
jasonnawty
Inactive

jasonnawty is an unknown quantity at this point
Actiontec ntl cable router problem

hi all,
I am a novice at this and need some help. I am on ntl cable modem and brought the actiontec wireless cable / dsl router that they advertise on ntl website from a freind. I have plugged it all in as per the cd and it says i am connected at 10mbps but i cant get the internet. I dont want to do my other computer until i get this one working. My modem used to connect to my comp by usb but now its by ethernet cable. I am really in the dark so any help would be appreciated. i have looked through this forum and done the turn off in correct order, connect everthing via ethernet port on comp and reboot in correct order. It says i am connected. Aaaaah. I then uninstalled the usb driver for modem and did the same. Still connected at 10 mbps but no internet. I have pinged all the addresses in ipgonfig/all and they all come back perfect. I just want to be able to get the internet working from my modem throough my router to my pc initially, then i can add the wireless pc in from upstairs. if i try modem with ether cable staright to pc i get the same result. Please help me some one or i have wasted fifty quid.
every time i need to use net i have to install the USB again to type to you guys. I am in a vicious spirralling circle and its scary
yours desperately
Nawty
jasonnawty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2005, 13:12   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Actiontec ntl cable router problem

to Cable Forum

Have you switched off the power to the modem whenever you swap from your PC to the router connection. Switch off, swap the calbes, switch on modem, let that settle then switch on the router, let that settle then switch on PC. Only have either the ethernet or the USB cable connected to the modem, not both at once.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 13:26   #3
jasonnawty
Inactive

yeah, i have done it exactly as you said. How come the little bubble comes up saying i am connected at 10mbs on that connection? does this mean i should be connected to the internet?
Old 12-11-2005, 16:11   #4
jasonnawty
Inactive

i have just replaced my old ethernet port for a new one and i still get the same result. Please help
Old 12-11-2005, 16:17   #5
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonnawty
i have just replaced my old ethernet port for a new one and i still get the same result. Please help
you need to type 192.168.0.1 in the browser. Then click on status. There you will see the ip address for the wan if there is no ip click disconnect then connect to refresh the wan address.
Old 12-11-2005, 16:33   #6
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

the littel bubble showing 10mbps connection is the speed of the connection between your PC and the rouoter or modem. It's not the internet connection speed.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 17:43   #7
jasonnawty
Inactive

thanks all,
Bill sorted me out on the phone. It appears that i have a faulty ethernet port on the back of my modem. NTL should give me a new one. I will talk to you all when i re-set up my network.

Cheers again folks

Nawty

Bill, you are a scholer sir !!!
Old 12-11-2005, 20:49   #8
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonnawty
thanks all,
Bill sorted me out on the phone. It appears that i have a faulty ethernet port on the back of my modem. NTL should give me a new one. I will talk to you all when i re-set up my network.

Cheers again folks

Nawty

Bill, you are a scholer sir !!!