Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Lack of eye contact could be "micro aggressive racism".

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Lack of eye contact could be "micro aggressive racism".

Old 24-04-2017, 18:13   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Lack of eye contact could be "micro aggressive racism".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...racism-oxford/

This sort of behaviour by the PC brigade does their cause no good at all imo. I've long thought that accusations of racism are bandied about far too easily these days.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-04-2017, 18:25   #2
duncan.stevenson
cf.member

Services: VIVID200 Gamer, Mix TV with V6 TiVo
duncan.stevenson is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Lack of eye contact could be "micro aggressive racism".

I think there is a lot of innate racism in a lot of people, but not making eye contact can't surely be a sign of this. I'm a bit socially awkward and I have to force myself to make eye contact with people regardless of their perceived race.
duncan.stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 19:21   #3
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I'm waiting for inevitable "All autistic people are racists!"
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 20:41   #4
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

So let me get this right, black, brown, white and asian students who avoid making eye contact with their peers, which includes each other in any combination, could be guilty of racism?

What a load of bollocks.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 20:54   #5
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I can't disagree with anything​ that's been said.

I can only think that it's the professional anti racists that are running out of PC brownie points and/or are desperate to show how right on they are.

I was talking to someone about this who said that some cultures believe it to be rude/disrespectful to look someone in the eye (Chinese?)

I love to see such folk tie themselves up in knots. They say that they believe in equality for women (agreed) and that all other cultures should be respected and not frowned upon just because they are different to our own (I don't unilaterally agree).

I then ask them what they think about some Asian cultures where women are expected to walk a few places behind men...
Old 24-04-2017, 21:33   #6
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
What a load of bollocks.
Its not often I completely agree with Kursk, but I think he got it spot on here.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 21:46   #7
RizzyKing

More idiots talking out of their backsides, it's become so easy to just throw racist at anything you don't like that i think it's starting to actually create racism if your going to be accused of it for nothing you might as well be racist. Between the professional pc lets be offended on everyone's behalf brigade and the quickly spreading thin skin syndrome soon you will not be able to say sod all. This country has become a joke in some ways and it's sad we have definately lost something greater then what we've gained.
Old 24-04-2017, 21:53   #8
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

The actual E&D newsletter.

http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/media/glob...nity17_web.pdf
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 22:03   #9
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Wait, so they have special "Networks" for BME, DSN and LGBT+ (Wtf is + ?)

They are so two faced and contradictory.
They go on about racism, but have a special Black / Ethnic Network, how discrimatory is that ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 22:30   #10
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Networks/groups for various minorities have long been common in universities as a method of support and discussion. That's not really in the same bracket as the lack of eye contact thing. People who are disabled, people who are LGBT or Black/other minority might have experiences the majority of people do not have and would want to talk to others who've had similar experiences. I don't really understand what any of those would be precisely but then I am in that majority.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 01:41   #11
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Wait, so they have special "Networks" for BME, DSN and LGBT+ (Wtf is + ?)

They are so two faced and contradictory.
They go on about racism, but have a special Black / Ethnic Network, how discrimatory is that ?
It used to be Lesbian, gay, bisexual. Then transgendered was added on, then intersex and then queer.

I guess it's all becoming a bit of a mouthful, so I assume that some institutions have stopped at T and started using +!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Networks/groups for various minorities have long been common in universities as a method of support and discussion. That's not really in the same bracket as the lack of eye contact thing. People who are disabled, people who are LGBT or Black/other minority might have experiences the majority of people do not have and would want to talk to others who've had similar experiences. I don't really understand what any of those would be precisely but then I am in that majority.
I can understand this and the reasons behind it, but it can cause problems.

I was once at a festival and saw some white people arguing with the doorstaff because they wouldn't let them into the People Of Colour tent. Their argument was that white was their colour.

Another time I was at an evening celebrating successful black businesses. One of the speakers urged everyone to favour black businesses over using white ones; I did wonder what their reaction would be if someone white had urged people to use white businesses over black ones!

In addition, men only places are frowned upon and possibly illegal, yet when women wish to be alone it's "women only space"!

In essence I think that it's a good thing that minority groups mix with the wider community, whilst remembering that 'birds of a feather flock together' for mutual support and understanding.
Old 25-04-2017, 07:04   #12
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
It used to be Lesbian, gay, bisexual. Then transgendered was added on, then intersex and then queer.
I'm not sure "queer" has ever been an acceptable term?
Old 25-04-2017, 08:13   #13
duncan.stevenson
cf.member

Services: VIVID200 Gamer, Mix TV with V6 TiVo
duncan.stevenson is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I'm not sure "queer" has ever been an acceptable term?
Queer has been reclaimed by the LGBT community, though I don't believe everyone loves its use.

I suspect it might be a word that only members of the LGBT community are 'allowed' to use, though I could be wrong.

As a gay man, I feel that you can normally tell if someone is being insulting/offensive independently of which word they use, at least when face to face.
duncan.stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 08:17   #14
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Context is everything
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 08:39   #15
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Context is everything
Indeed.

It's not too little eye contact that will get you into trouble but too much.