Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | United Airlines: Passenger violently removed due to overbooking

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

United Airlines: Passenger violently removed due to overbooking

Old 11-04-2017, 15:24   #61
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: United Airlines: Passenger violently removed due to overbooking

United Airlines' shares seen sliding after passenger was dragged from overbooked flight
The slump could wipe as much as $1bn off the group's total market value

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a7678051.html
Old 11-04-2017, 15:30   #62
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
I think they needed seats for their staff to rv elsewhere as an unpredicted change. Circumstances change in huge organisations. We are used to it all running like clockwork; when things alter (like flight delays) we just have to suck it up.

We don't all have the screaming ab dabs. I am waiting for the Nazis to be mentioned.
Sorry Kursk but you are making sorry arse excuses up for them, they are completely in the wrong here on every level. To how they got him off the flight, the fact they neglected their duty of care while he was walking around dazed and blooded from their assault and then the PR disaster that followed with the CEO publicly saying sorry but saying privately to his staff, jolly good job well done.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 15:42   #63
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
what would you say if this old fellow was your dad -would it be ok to manhandle your old pappy out of his seat and drag him bloodied down the isle
No doubt his view of things would be very much different then one imagines.
Old 11-04-2017, 16:20   #64
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

I have just seen another angle of the incident where he he saying 'Just kill me', 'Just kill me', I have only seen two vids, the one where he is removed from his seat and dragged and another where he is walking up and down saying I want to go home and he is repeating it over and over. That man clearly did not just suffer physical pain.

---------- Post added at 15:20 ---------- Previous post was at 14:57 ----------

Just seen this:

https://www.change.org/p/united-airl...o-oscar-munoz?

Over 11K signatures already.
Old 11-04-2017, 16:26   #65
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 16:37   #66
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Old 11-04-2017, 16:44   #67
blackthorn
cf.geek

blackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation era

I see they are trying to find something on this guy now but to me his past is irrelevant. I reckon the ceo has said, find something, anything to make out its his fault.
http://www.courier-journal.com/story...0839c4936d4285
blackthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 16:51   #68
Mick
Cable Forum Team

I think this is a very interesting read... What United's CEO should have done...

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/wha...ry_top_stories

Quote:
United Airlines CEO Oscar Munoz woke up Monday morning to a massive leadership test.

And he flunked — big time.

Munoz had to respond to the shocking video footage of a passenger being violently ejected from one of his flights Sunday night. The video, shot by two passengers on their cellphones and shared on Twitter, went viral. The passenger was thrown off the plane simply because United had overbooked.

Munoz’s public response was a piece of pusillanimous lawyer-crafted claptrap that was pitiful, inadequate and insulting.

<snip>

Here’s what Munoz should have said instead on Monday morning:

“I have just seen the video from Flight 3411, and like all of you I am shocked. I have immediately cleared my calendar of all other commitments, and I am going to our company’s facilities at O’Hare to conduct a personal inquiry. All personnel involved in this incident will be reporting to me in person immediately. I am going to find out how this happened, who did what and why. I notice that the passenger’s violent removal was conducted by law enforcement personnel, not by United staff, and I am going to demand a full explanation from the relevant authorities as well. Meanwhile, I apologize personally to the passenger, to all others on the flight, to our customers and to the American public. I expect to issue a further report within 72 hours.”

(I initially wrote 36 hours, but on reflection, 72 hours — 3 days — makes more sense.)

If Munoz’s lawyers think that statement opens them up to — eek! — “legal liabilities,” I have some news for them.

The video is all the evidence an attorney is going to need. You’re going to be writing a big fat check anyway. Showing good faith now is going to help more than it could hurt.
Old 11-04-2017, 21:50   #69
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Sorry Kursk but you are making sorry arse excuses up for them, they are completely in the wrong here on every level. To how they got him off the flight, the fact they neglected their duty of care while he was walking around dazed and blooded from their assault and then the PR disaster that followed with the CEO publicly saying sorry but saying privately to his staff, jolly good job well done.
I don't mean to be making excuses for anybody but when I saw the word 'Oscar' in your link I thought, fair play, the doc deserves one. I realised later it's the CEO's first name

Predictably, a petition has appeared; we're going to be cursed if petitions are set up everytime there's an incident in society. Ho hum.

And, as mentioned earlier, he was 'removed' by law enforcement, not UA staff. Shouldn't every responsible citizen follow the instructions of the law without all the frenzied histrionics? I'll get me coat

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
I see they are trying to find something on this guy now but to me his past is irrelevant. I reckon the ceo has said, find something, anything to make out its his fault.
http://www.courier-journal.com/story...0839c4936d4285
Trying to find something? Well, they certainly did. I think your link throws another light on all of this.

Last edited by Kursk; 11-04-2017 at 22:01.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 21:52   #70
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: United Airlines: Passenger violently removed due to over booking

Quote:
Yeah he probably should have left when asked, however outrageous that demand was, but United are at fault for allowing the situation to develop where a passenger who had already boarded was being asked to leave to make way for United staff. United deserve to be boycotted over this, especially for the way they've handled it subsequently.
Was the need for the staff to travel an unexpected and unplanned thing? If staff suddenly report in sick, replacements have to come from somewhere.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 21:56   #71
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Found on Reddit:

http://i.imgur.com/99dgkTs.mp4
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 22:03   #72
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Why when I read that do I think of Blackadder

He accidental and brutally cut his heat off while combing his hair.
Old 11-04-2017, 22:07   #73
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
So apt. Note the good guy is the one effecting the removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Was the need for the staff to travel an unexpected and unplanned thing? If staff suddenly report in sick, replacements have to come from somewhere.
Can you imagine the furore if a flight was cancelled because UA didn't make arrangements for the transfer of personnel?

Last edited by Kursk; 11-04-2017 at 22:39.
Old 11-04-2017, 23:24   #74
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
So apt. Note the good guy is the one effecting the removal

Can you imagine the furore if a flight was cancelled because UA didn't make arrangements for the transfer of personnel?
Tbf if united had made proper arrangements none of this would have happened.
Old 12-04-2017, 00:18   #75
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
Tbf if united had made proper arrangements none of this would have happened.
Overbooking is so commonplace it's regarded as usual practise; if seats were kept vacant routinely just in case staff need redeployment at short notice, who would end up funding the fare 'loss'?