Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help needed - Home Network Setup

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Help needed - Home Network Setup

Old 20-02-2006, 11:46   #1
neildog
Inactive

neildog is an unknown quantity at this point
Help needed - Home Network Setup

Hi I'm new to this forum and hoping someone here can help me out with a problem I'm having.

I have NTL Cable Broadband which comes out of the wall and screws directly into the NTL provided Modem box (which has a USB out and a ethernet out - either of which work connected to my PC).

I just purchased a Netgear DG384GT Wireless ADSL Modem Router with 4-port 10/100 Switch. The only input into this seems to be a modem cable port (RJ 11 Modem Jack?)

This Netgear device is obviously designed for an ADSL line out of a telephone line (comes with the telephone/modem ADSL Splitter etc). My question is can I use this with my NTL cable modem. If so how do I connect them.

I've tried so far connecting them using a few different adaptors that hasn't seemed to work (the Netgear device doesn't pick up an internet connection). Is there a specific cable that can do USB or ethernet into a RJ11 jack and would this work?

If anyone else has a similer set-up I'd be intrested to see how you overcame this.

Of course NTL support have been no help with this whatsoever...

Many Thanks - Frustrated and confused.
neildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-02-2006, 11:49   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: Help needed - Home Network Setup

You have bought the wrong type of Router, it needs to be a Cable/DSL Router with an RJ45 WAN Input. Once you have one of these you will have no problem getting your Internet Connection Shared.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 11:50   #3
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

to CF

'fraid your ADSL router isn't going to work with NTL cable. Two different technologies!

Hopefully you can exchange it for a 'cable router' - such as the Linksys WRT54G which I have.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 17:02   #4
neildog
Inactive

neildog is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok thanks for your help on this problem... I'm actually moving house in a few months and my intention is to get ADSL so if I get a cable router with RJ45 input is this compatible with both technologies? I guess what I'm asking: is there a product that can handle my cable modem for next few months before I switch over to ADSL otherwise I'll just hold onto the Netgear switch until I move and get ADSL?
neildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 17:09   #5
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

If you dont mind a 11mbs network I'm looking to swap a linksys router for an adsl router...
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 17:50   #6
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

A Cable / DSL router can work with either cable or ADSL based broadband. It relies upon a separate modem to provide the connection to the ISP. The modem should have an ethernet, rather than USB output to the LAN (Local Area Network) side, which you connect to the RJ45 (ethernet) WAN (Wide are Network) port of the cable / DSL router. OF course you then use wireless or the 4 LAN ports of the router for your connections to individual PCs.

Many routers though, as in the case of the netgear one you have bought, combine into the one electronic box of tricks the ADSL based modem and the router. That is fine if you have a BT phone line based broadband, as it's a neat, less spaghetti wiring solution. But it won't work for cable as there is no ethernet WAN port.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote