Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 04-06-2015, 00:40   #616
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

One thing i have not read about and curious is about the licencing aspect.

Now they state that windows 10 will be free as long as that device lasts, now im upgrading from a Windows 8.1 retail kit where my licence is transferable to another system, so are microsoft saying now they wont honor this in the upgrades?
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2015, 11:43   #617
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
Now they state that windows 10 will be free as long as that device lasts, now im upgrading from a Windows 8.1 retail kit where my licence is transferable to another system, so are microsoft saying now they wont honor this in the upgrades?
This seems to imply that you can still do a transfer with a retail version

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows...o-you-qualify/

Quote:
You can transfer that license to any physical or virtual PC and it will be eligible for a Windows 10 upgrade.
Old 04-06-2015, 15:34   #618
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

So for example lets say i change my PC in a year the licence can be carried over?
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 15:47   #619
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

That seems to be the case, unless they are being particularly nasty.

Also this

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9334/m...fter-upgrading

says that once you've got the W10 update, your existing Win 8.1 licence key will activate a fresh W10 install without issue. However it's not clear whether if you move your install to a different machine whether you'd have to do a two-step install i.e. Win 8.1 > 10.
Old 04-06-2015, 20:10   #620
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

So what happens if I restore my laptop (which comes with windows 8), can I automatically upgrade each time to Windows 10 again?
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 20:29   #621
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

That seems to be a yes.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:54   #622
j52c
Inactive

j52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant future

Has anyone noticed that pressing the F8 Key when first booting doesn't take you to the boot menu anymore.

I always use it when restoring a system image so I hope they will bring that function back.
j52c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:02   #623
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by j52c View Post
Has anyone noticed that pressing the F8 Key when first booting doesn't take you to the boot menu anymore.

I always use it when restoring a system image so I hope they will bring that function back.
It changed in Windows 8/8.1

http://www.howtogeek.com/126016/thre...-options-menu/
Old 05-06-2015, 10:19   #624
j52c
Inactive

j52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant future

I have win 8.1 Pro and I still use the F* to get into the boot menu and boot from a Recovery USB stick to restore a system image.
j52c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:56   #625
johnhook
Permanently Banned

johnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about them

Bios should have a separate boot menu not tied to windows

F8 on some bought up this menu but only if pressed prior to hard drives being read then it would give safe mode option but safe mode as we know it has changed now

To access it set safeboot in MSCONFIG
johnhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:38   #626
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

the system recovery to get into safe mode etc is a pain, you have to go into settings, and say you want to reboot into safe mode on next reboot

so if you can't get into windows, you're a bit screwed
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 13:19   #627
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by admars View Post
the system recovery to get into safe mode etc is a pain, you have to go into settings, and say you want to reboot into safe mode on next reboot

I wonder what idiot came up with that?
Old 05-06-2015, 13:21   #628
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

To enable the F8 key in Windows 8 or 8.1

right click start button and select command prompt Admin copy and paste following command and press enter

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

to turn off again enter

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

make sure you use Command Prompt as Admin
Dave42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 13:23   #629
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by admars View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I wonder what idiot came up with that?
There is an alternative:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...ings-safe-mode

Quote:
If you can't start (boot) your PC, follow these instructions to get to the Windows Recovery Environment. You'll need to connect a keyboard to complete the steps.

Do one of the following, depending on whether you have installation media (such as a DVD or USB flash drive):

If you have installation media for Windows 8.1, start (or boot) your computer from the installation media. Insert the DVD or USB flash drive and restart your computer. If you see a message asking you to "Press any key to boot from DVD", do so. If you can’t see the message, you might need to change the boot order in your computer's BIOS settings so that it first starts from the DVD or USB. When you see the Install Windows page, tap or click Repair your computer to start the Windows Recovery Environment.

If you don’t have installation media, use the power button to restart your computer three times. This will start the Windows Recovery Environment.
Which then allows you to choose Safe Mode
Old 05-06-2015, 13:52   #630
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

I still don't understand why they changed it from something that worked perfectly well (F8) and everybody knew how to use and try to hide it so you need to re-activate it BEFORE you know you need to use it. Perverse logic at best.