Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 27-01-2015, 20:30   #226
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Which Antivirus and software Firewall are people finding works with this?

I guess there is still a built in Windows Defender antivirus that still works if nothing else does?
yes windows defender is the default AV just using that one here

Mary Jo Foley ‏@maryjofoley · 1h1 hour ago
MS confirms its Windows 10 'Spartan' browser will get extensions support: http://www.zdnet.com/article/microso...et-extensions/
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-01-2015, 22:20   #227
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

Avira works
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 23:00   #228
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
It can be turned off by administrators either via local group policy or via network/active directory policies. The latter override the former and both have always overridden the user-set options in Control Panel.

I imagine a lot of large enterprises will throw a hissy fit if they even attempt to remove the ability to change those settings.
What I meant was that the whole point of the Technical Preview is to test and provide feedback on the latest builds, so if Microsoft gave an easy way for you turn off updates during the preview and you don't receive the latest builds then what what is the point for Microsoft to offer the program in the first place?

I'm assuming that when the final version of Windows 10 is released, there will be a UI way to turn off updates (even if it's not recommended) in addition to the existing registry / policy options.
Old 27-01-2015, 23:56   #229
truthspeaker
cf.addict

truthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the gutter

am thinking the same. whats the point of disable the updates?

on retail or OEM version you can turn off the updates if you want. which makes no sense.
unless you cracked it or want a virus or you want someone to Hack your computer
truthspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 00:09   #230
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthspeaker View Post
am thinking the same. whats the point of disable the updates?

on retail or OEM version you can turn off the updates if you want. which makes no sense.
unless you cracked it or want a virus or you want someone to Hack your computer
It makes perfect sense.

In a managed, enterprise environment there are other ways of propagating Windows updates.

Many secure environments do not allow client machines direct connections (make that any connection whatsoever) to the public internet therefore allowing machines to auto update would be pointless.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 10:06   #231
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthspeaker View Post
@qasdfdsaq
windows 10 updates Automatic.
you can't change the update setting because Microsoft won't let you.
and it seems working very great. plus its free for win 7 and win 8 users.
It makes sense for Microsoft to lock down Windows Update access in this version of Windows 10. Remember, this is beta software, even though they are calling it a preview. It makes sense for them to remove user's ability to disable Windows Update because they need to ensure that every user who submits a bug report is running the latest update.

Be interesting to see if they lock it down in the same way on the actual release version. There are legitimate reasons people would want to block Windows Updates. Large scale enterprise deployments, for instance. If you are deploying software to tens of thousands of PCs, you want to stop user access to it until you've tested it as thoroughly as you can, to ensure it doesn't break something that is critical to the enterprise.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 10:21   #232
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

I like to have any updates on "ask me" so I can decide whether to allow them or not and also whether a full backup at that point especially of the registry would be wise seeing the number of updates on things that have gone horribly wrong. If it's done automatically you might have trouble restoring the previous good state.
Old 28-01-2015, 11:55   #233
gba93
ofc.founder_member

Services: VIP 60
gba93 has reached the bronze age
gba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by admars View Post
Avira works
As does Malwarebytes

---------- Post added at 11:55 ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 ----------

Does anyone know how the next release(s) of Win10 are likely to be released - will we get an email, will it be done automatically?
gba93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 12:25   #234
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by gba93 View Post
As does Malwarebytes

---------- Post added at 11:55 ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 ----------

Does anyone know how the next release(s) of Win10 are likely to be released - will we get an email, will it be done automatically?
it be done by windows update the next build
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 12:39   #235
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I like to have any updates on "ask me" so I can decide whether to allow them or not and also whether a full backup at that point especially of the registry would be wise seeing the number of updates on things that have gone horribly wrong. If it's done automatically you might have trouble restoring the previous good state.
Which fine for a finalised OS - but this isn't.

There are lots of warning to say that any of the updates may involve a full re-install and / or loss of data, so not to put it onto a production machine or use it as your primary OS.
Old 28-01-2015, 12:42   #236
gba93
ofc.founder_member

Services: VIP 60
gba93 has reached the bronze age
gba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
it be done by windows update the next build
Thanks
gba93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 17:14   #237
truthspeaker
cf.addict

truthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the gutter

My windows 10 is on my primary machine.
I did windows 10 upgrade on top of windows 8.1
Running good. I think I need 8Gb RAM now.
truthspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 17:47   #238
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one
Question Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

I am thinking of trying the Windows 10 beta on my old laptop, it is a 1.73 Centrino with 2 Gig of RAM 60 Gig hard disk, is that high enough spec to try it on.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 18:09   #239
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
I am thinking of trying the Windows 10 beta on my old laptop, it is a 1.73 Centrino with 2 Gig of RAM 60 Gig hard disk, is that high enough spec to try it on.
Here are the minimum specs, basically if it can run Windows 8 you should be ok.

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-1...e-as-windows-8
Old 28-01-2015, 20:50   #240
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

uninstall latest virtualbox and got old version 4.3.12 which isn't working, but the vm isn't kernel errors, which google provides lots of answers for, so hopefuly can fix it.

one strange problem I have is when I turn on this pc, network is unavailable, I reboot, and networking is fine, even if I leave it a whiel after switching on before logging in, still have this issue on turning on, so have to bounce it!
admars is offline   Reply With Quote