Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless connection slow compared to ethernet in same router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless connection slow compared to ethernet in same router

Old 26-05-2008, 20:47   #1
gallego1
cf.addict

Services: V+ and tivo virgin mobile xl tv xl telephone and 120 bb Lewisham headend
gallego1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wireless connection slow compared to ethernet in same router

Hi

I wonder if anyone can advise

I have just upgraded to 20Mb BB and the speed throuth the modem is between 12 and 18Mbs

Through the router with a cable is similar speeds

But using the wireless even though I am 3 feet away records a speed of between 4 and 6 Mbs

Is the wireless option this much slower normally

Router is a safecom swbar 5400

Wasnt a problem on 4mb as the wireless picked up 4mb

any help appreciated
gallego1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-05-2008, 21:15   #2
Cerberus
Permanently Banned

Cerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Wireless connection slow compared to ethernet in same router

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallego1 View Post
Hi

I have just upgraded to 20Mb BB and the speed throuth the modem is between 12 and 18Mbs

But using the wireless even though I am 3 feet away records a speed of between 4 and 6 Mbs

any help appreciated

This probably wouldn't help much, but I was wireless up until today. I decided that after months of getting 4-5Mbps that I would try my PC hardwired to the router. Hey presto 17-20Mbps.

Sorry for annoying you Virgin Media, I actually got it wrong and it wasn't your fault.

My advice, stick to being hardwired.
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 21:27   #3
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

Wireless through Linksys WRT54G router a few minutes ago (the clock is one hour slow). I have tried connecting with a cable and it is no faster.

Mon, 26 May 2008 20:23:41 UTC

Test 1: 1024K took 456 ms = 2245.6 KB/sec, approx 18504 Kbps, 18.07 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 429 ms = 2386.9 KB/sec, approx 19668 Kbps, 19.21 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 427 ms = 2398.1 KB/sec, approx 19760 Kbps, 19.3 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 854 ms = 2398.1 KB/sec, approx 19760 Kbps, 19.3 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 19423 Kbps, 18.97 Mbps
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 23:50   #4
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

You could try http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe and set the slider to 20Mbps. It often improves wireless speeds. If its no better or makes it worse, you can load the default windows settings back in.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 23:59   #5
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallego1 View Post
Hi

any help appreciated
4 to 6 Mbps does sound rather slow. However, wireless speeds are generally slower than wired speeds (the wireless protocol eats up quite a lot of the bandwidth). Normally, you are lucky to get more than 15 Mbps from a wireless G connection (I don't know about all this speedbooster stuff. It may be better). You may be unlucky with your router (Safecom isn't exactly the best known brand when it comes to routers). If you can, it might be worth trying a different router (if you can borrow one from a mate for the evening for instance).
Old 27-05-2008, 09:20   #6
ajnicho
Inactive

ajnicho is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just returned a Belkin Wireless-N router for the very same reason. PC is about 4 metres away and can get no better than 8-10mb/s, but 18-19 mb/s wired.

Returned it for a full refund then bought a network starter kit from Screwfix. Luckily I'm getting new floor laid so could rewire at the same time.
ajnicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 11:29   #7
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

With wireless you really need to check what channels other wireless users nearby are using. you don't want to be using a channel that has significant overlap with your neighbours else you both will get vastly reduced speeds.

To stop overlap you want to be 5 channels away from your neighbours wireless channel, so if they're on 1 you want to be on 6. In an ideal situation you can get 3 wireless networks in the same area with perfect reception using channels 1, 6 and 11.

This shows the channels and the overlap they have, so if you have multiple wireless networks in your area check their channels, and then work out which channel gives you the least (and ideally no) overlap and you'll see significant increases in speed.
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 11:43   #8
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

all depends on the wireless dapter being used aswell

my n series router and usb adapter can easily cope with 20meg
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 11:51   #9
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

You should also check there are no 'B' wireless devices on the network, as these will slow down all access (4.5 Mbps is the typical data rate for 802.11b). If the router will allow you, try setting it to 802.11G mode only, as opposed to b/g mixed.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 11:52   #10
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Wireless can be slower than wired. The best speed will usually occur if using the same manufacturer on each end of similar version as this will enable any special tweaking that may go on.

Others have already mentioned channels, don't forget that in Europe we get 13 of them rather than 11 in the US.

Also some equipment (microwaves, other radio gear) and wall materials can cause problems.

Finally with MIMO you may get a drop off in performance at very short ranges. Can't remember where I saw this though,