Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Broadband woes for many

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Broadband woes for many

Old 20-12-2016, 18:51   #1
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Broadband woes for many

http://downdetector.co.uk/problems/virgin-media

Even the Daily Mail has picked up on it....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...uary-2017.html

It's not just the 200M service, but I can't post without setting a prefix...
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-12-2016, 19:02   #2
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one
Re: Broadband woes for many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
http://downdetector.co.uk/problems/virgin-media

Even the Daily Mail has picked up on it....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...uary-2017.html

It's not just the 200M service, but I can't post without setting a prefix...
People complaining of faults, can't see how this is news really
Old 20-12-2016, 20:29   #3
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Whats meant to be the issue? as im not having any noticable problems.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 20:46   #4
Glesga
Inactive

Glesga is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollp View Post
People complaining of faults, can't see how this is news really
The comments on down detector page are hilarious.
Glesga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 22:14   #5
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

I keep seeing this post but have no idea what it is related to
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 22:55   #6
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
There isnt,"AN" issue but people who are complaining of various faults and some are having genuine poor service.
Old 21-12-2016, 12:01   #7
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
Its in different areas and its dependent on if your area is oversubscribed. You are very, very lucky.

My area has too many customers so after 5pm i can barely get 1mbps. I'm meant to be on 150mbps.

Im quoted a "review" date of 2 months in advance. Once we get a few weeks near to this "review date" it automatically adds 2 months on. Nothing is ever done. The review date is pushed back over and over again. More customers are added to my area so speeds get slower. No one seems to know when a fix would ever be done.

This originally started 3 years ago. I reported it summer 2013. Every 2 months the review date is pushed back the generic 2 months. Its gotten much worse now

I doubt it'll ever be fixed. Maybe vm dont have the money to?

I call up once a month and get a generic refund for my broadband. Its so frustrating. So many people also suffering with utilisation issues.

Count yourself very lucky
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 12:12   #8
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

Well I have a ongoing snr problem for the last 9 months, Am at my wits end
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 13:13   #9
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Our 12 month+ fault has finally been fixed, supposedly because different departments started talking together.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 13:18   #10
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Our 12 month+ fault has finally been fixed, supposedly because different departments started talking together.
Im in area 1 and they've just done knowsley according to someone which is near me. I'm hoping they'll fix the rest of the area soon and do the liverpool area. 3 years. Many, many complaint letters.

I keep challenging them about why they keep pushing the review date automatically 2 months and why its not been dealt with for 3 years. But no one can give me a reason.

Its like no one talks or plans anything and some computer system is just programmed to add 60 days on when it gets too close to the fix date
Old 21-12-2016, 14:35   #11
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

I can never see it getting fixed fully. Even if it does get fixed then the next round of free speed updates (if there is any) will just mean more problems. I doubt it will help now the V6 uses your broadband rather than its own dedicated one. All the while they are still signing up new customers offering them 200Mb knowing they can't deliver it at peak times in some areas. I've had the argument on the community forums with staff and superusers, some Virgin Media customers are still on 152Mb waiting for the free speed upgrade to 200Mb. My area was originally planned for the free upgrade in December 2015 I believe. It now says December 2016 which isn't going to happen with Christmas and new year around the corner plus a "review" date of 5th of April 2017 for high utilisation in the area. The argument was they are bringing in new customers on 200Mb in my area but can only offer me 200Mb if I upgrade to 200Mb which could cost more yet they are adding to the problem by adding new customers.

To add insult to injury the official price for a V6 for 152Mb users is £99.95 simply because they aren't on 200Mb as they are still waiting for the free speed upgrade that was announced late 2015 and it's now nearly 2017. To get the price of £49.95 you are told (unless you phone and complain but not sure how far that would get you) to upgrade to 200Mb which not only costs more but you'll be unable to reach those speeds at peak times because of high utilisation in the area which is the reason why your not on 200Mb in the first place as they won't give you the free upgrade as the network isn't ready unless you're willing to part with your money.

Part of the above affects me while some of it does not. When the V6 was officially launched I phoned up and went from the old style VIP to the new style VIP which takes us to 200Mb and saved us money. But there will certainly be other users out there that this will affect and it's just an endless circle of dates and arguments.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 14:56   #12
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
I can never see it getting fixed fully. Even if it does get fixed then the next round of free speed updates (if there is any) will just mean more problems. I doubt it will help now the V6 uses your broadband rather than its own dedicated one. All the while they are still signing up new customers offering them 200Mb knowing they can't deliver it at peak times in some areas. I've had the argument on the community forums with staff and superusers, some Virgin Media customers are still on 152Mb waiting for the free speed upgrade to 200Mb. My area was originally planned for the free upgrade in December 2015 I believe. It now says December 2016 which isn't going to happen with Christmas and new year around the corner plus a "review" date of 5th of April 2017 for high utilisation in the area. The argument was they are bringing in new customers on 200Mb in my area but can only offer me 200Mb if I upgrade to 200Mb which could cost more yet they are adding to the problem by adding new customers.

To add insult to injury the official price for a V6 for 152Mb users is £99.95 simply because they aren't on 200Mb as they are still waiting for the free speed upgrade that was announced late 2015 and it's now nearly 2017. To get the price of £49.95 you are told (unless you phone and complain but not sure how far that would get you) to upgrade to 200Mb which not only costs more but you'll be unable to reach those speeds at peak times because of high utilisation in the area which is the reason why your not on 200Mb in the first place as they won't give you the free upgrade as the network isn't ready unless you're willing to part with your money.

Part of the above affects me while some of it does not. When the V6 was officially launched I phoned up and went from the old style VIP to the new style VIP which takes us to 200Mb and saved us money. But there will certainly be other users out there that this will affect and it's just an endless circle of dates and arguments.
My word i completely am in the same boat as you! Thank heavens its not just me.

High utilisation in my area. Ongoing 3 and a half years. Review date now february.

I'm on 152Mbps currently. My "free speed upgrade" is due between december 2016 and december 2016. Again i cannot see this at all happening.

I was told i could not get a v6 on the cheaper price as im not on the vivid 200 package. I kept trying to explain the reason i'm not is you havent given me the free upgrade yet. They didnt really seem to understand my point!

We're basically being punished two fold:

1) for living in a popular area with too many customers (northern towns being hit the most as vm seem to only be fixing down south)
2) not being important enough to have the free upgrade yet. (so we need to pay more money as a result of being ignored for several years...to get a v6)

Last edited by vincerooney; 21-12-2016 at 15:00. Reason: .
Old 21-12-2016, 15:47   #13
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

I've seen this reported a few places, they make it sound like ALL virgin media customers are going to have no broadband over Xmas, but it appears it's "only" around London.

No issues here btw
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 18:22   #14
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

I am certainly seeing a slowdown just south of London fed from Croydon & via New Malden. I have the business 200 Mb/s service and currently achieving around 60 Mb/s, prior to this week it was rock solid at 200 Mb/s pretty much anytime.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 18:40   #15
Cromulent
Inactive

Services: VIVID 350, Sky Q
Cromulent is on a distinguished roadCromulent is on a distinguished road

I'm in Surrey and have just run a speed test. I got 156Mbits/sec down and 20Mbits/sec up. So not that bad but last week I was getting over 200Mbits/sec down so I guess with everyone starting the Christmas holidays the internet is getting hammered more than normal.

I've only just switched back to Virgin Media after being with Sky for a few months and I'm much happier on Virgin Media than I was when I was with Sky. At least my connection doesn't keep dropping out all the time now and I'm able to stream on Twitch.tv with a rock solid connection.
Cromulent is offline   Reply With Quote