Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM General News Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

VM General News Thread

Old 28-12-2016, 17:37   #76
MrIca
Inactive

MrIca is on a distinguished roadMrIca is on a distinguished road
Re: John Malone/Liberty/VM General News Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
They provide for the fibre network for MBNL

and MBNL provides the backhaul

http://mbnl.co.uk/

Actually no they don't

They did, a long time ago, and they still provide circuits here and there around the country. But Vodafone have their own massive Fibre Network courtesy of C&W.
Huh? Yes I know all about that! You do understand that much of the UK don't have the C&W network anywhere nearby though? I think a lot of you guys on this forum assume others have no clue and you are the only ones "in the know".

Voda have to rely on BT backhaul for a lot of areas still. I never said in my post that they ONLY use it, you just felt like correcting me. 50-60% of the well populated borough I live in doesn't have C&W fibre anywhere near it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
BT bought EE which Virgin Mobile currently use to run their network.
Obviously I know EE is owned by BT, considering who I work for. That's very different to BT owning Virgin Mobile.

Last edited by MrIca; 28-12-2016 at 17:42.
MrIca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-12-2016, 21:08   #77
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Actually MrIca, C&W network is pretty well coverd across the UK and takes many different guises due to network rebrands over the years. C&W also subduct and share a lot of core duct access with VM, BT and Verizon around the UK as well, so even though it may not be apparent a provider is in an area, they probably have a lot more fibre than you would think.

Virgin havent supplied Vodafone circuits in some time, that may changegoing forward but there doesnt appear to be a business agreement in place currently. The MBNL backhaul deal has been ongoing for some time and is constantly expanding across the UK, Virgin supply a lot of backhaul for major ISP's and other Mobile and fixed Telcos all over the UK... just as VM uses backhaul from other suppliers to get business services to areas where there is currently not network footprint.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 21:40   #78
MrIca
Inactive

Yep I know all about the different guises of C&W (Thus, Scottish Telecom, Norweb Comms, etc). but in many areas there's only BT ducting in the ground.
Old 30-12-2016, 20:31   #79
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Patrick Drahi’s Altice Sells SFR BeLux to Telenet, Owned by John Malone’s Liberty Global.

Patrick Drahi’s Netherlands-based Altice Group, parent of Altice USA and SFR, France’s No. 2 telecoms operator, has agreed to sell its businesses in Belgium and Luxembourg to the Telenet Group, owned by John Malone’s Liberty Global.

http://variety.com/2016/film/global/...et-1201947543/
Thanks for posting that here, didn't see it.

There certainly seems to be a bit of moving the chess pieces around the board going on here.... to what end, not sure.

Dragi is clearly a major player now after buying America's 4th largest cableco (Cablevision) and 7th Largest (Suddenlink). Whether this may be the start of a closer union with Malone and his companies, remains to be seen.
Old 30-12-2016, 20:36   #80
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Thanks for posting that here, didn't see it.

There certainly seems to be a bit of moving the chess pieces around the board going on here.... to what end, not sure.

Dragi is clearly a major player now after buying America's 4th largest cableco (Cablevision) and 7th Largest (Suddenlink). Whether this may be the start of a closer union with Malone and his companies, remains to be seen.
I think Altice is quite endebted and the Benelux is not important to it strategically so it has sold the subsidiary.

---------- Post added at 19:36 ---------- Previous post was at 19:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIca View Post
Obviously I know EE is owned by BT, considering who I work for.
I'm not sure that we can be expected to know who you work for unless it's in your signature.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 21:21   #81
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Huh? Yes I know all about that! You do understand that much of the UK don't have the C&W network anywhere nearby though? I think a lot of you guys on this forum assume others have no clue and you are the only ones "in the know".
As seen as I've worked for virgin media for over 20 years when it comes to their network I am "in the know"

And when you say things like

Quote:
I'm not sure Virgin supply backhaul for "various" mobile networks. I don't think EE or Three ever used them and EE certainly wouldn't now as they're part of BT Group.
When VM have provided EE backhaul for several years, and continue to do so, suggests .........

Anyway.

Quote:
Voda have to rely on BT backhaul for a lot of areas still. I never said in my post that they ONLY use it, you just felt like correcting me. 50-60% of the well populated borough I live in doesn't have C&W fibre anywhere near it.
Unless you have Vodafone network map or intimate knowledge of their network how do you know?

Quote:
Yep I know all about the different guises of C&W (Thus, Scottish Telecom, Norweb Comms, etc). but in many areas there's only BT ducting in the ground.
What about overhead?
Old 31-12-2016, 11:51   #82
MrIca
Inactive

Quote:
As seen as I've worked for virgin media for over 20 years when it comes to their network I am "in the know"

And when you say things like

When VM have provided EE backhaul for several years, and continue to do so, suggests .........

Anyway.

Unless you have Vodafone network map or intimate knowledge of their network how do you know?

What about overhead?
No need to be confrontational. It's not a willy waving contest, for some reason some users on this particular forum seem to think it is. I don't recall Virgin providing backhaul for EE but there you go. I don't dispute what you're saying.

Overhead as in National Grid?

How do I know what backhaul Voda use? Well I can open up (non-Voda marked) boxes in front of many Vodafone transmitters where I live and see they go directly onto BT fibre. You can physically see the fibre coming from where the transmitter is. There's no VM or C&W network at all nearby for them to go onto.

As I say there's still lots of areas where the VM and C&W network doesn't reach and doesn't get near enough to.
Old 31-12-2016, 14:49   #83
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
No need to be confrontational. It's not a willy waving contest, for some reason some users on this particular forum seem to think it is. I don't recall Virgin providing backhaul for EE but there you go. I don't dispute what you're saying.
To be fair it was you that was being arsey.

Quote:
Overhead as in National Grid?
. Not just National Grid/ Energis. But Scottish Power/Thus and Norweb/yourcomms. All are C&W as you know and all have fibre on parts of their transmission network.

Quote:
How do I know what backhaul Voda use? Well I can open up (non-Voda marked) boxes in front of many Vodafone transmitters where I live and see they go directly onto BT fibre. You can physically see the fibre coming from where the transmitter is. There's no VM or C&W network at all nearby for them to go onto.
They may well use BT fibre tails to get to some masts, or indeed most masts, as VM use and other carriers use to get to places where they don't have fibre reach. That doesn't mean that BT backhaul it all around the U.K.

I'm fairly certain when VM lost the Vodafone contract I think Global Crossing, now Level 3, won it, or a lot if it, as I remember them digging to loads of Vodafone sites about 6-7 years ago.
Old 31-12-2016, 19:32   #84
MrIca
Inactive

Sorry if I came across arsey.

I see what you mean about the backhaul, I was thinking more of who the physical fibre is owned by that is in use. So Voda could well be paying Level 3 who just use whomever's fibre is the cheapest to connect to the masts.

Since they bought C&W they've probably tried to get as many masts as they can onto that network. I've seen them digging up to a mile or so along pavements and roads to avoid using other people's physical fibre.
Old 01-01-2017, 14:02   #85
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Yeah when it comes to business fibre, there's a lot of overlap. In the last place I worked, we got fibre in via a little ISP called HSO because they were cheaper than anyone else, who basically paid Virgin for the fibre link, who basically paid BT for the fibre link. We had 3 gateway devices in our cab before we got to our own equipment.

I wouldn't be surprised if the mobile telco operations were a similar beast.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 21:01   #86
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 2 V6 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Virgin snubs Three to stick with BT on wireless contract.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...less-contract/

Quote:
The*mobile operator Three has been dealt a fresh blow after it was pipped to a multibillion-pound contract to provide the network for Virgin Media’s wireless arm.
The cable giant has instead signed a new five-year deal with BT, the owner of its current mobile wholesale provider EE, industry sources revealed.
Old 07-01-2017, 21:17   #87
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Interesting move. I guess if they do have an eye on O2 then there's potentially a lot less turmoil for everyone if they stick with BT for now. Building their own 'thick' network could also make them more competitive - I've been looking at some deals I've the past week or so and Virginia are nowhere to be seen.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:29   #88
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

Virgin Media and BT agree new mobile deal

Virgin Media and BT today announced a new five year Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) agreement.

Press Release http://www.virginmedia.com/corporate...bile-deal.html
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:58   #89
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
Virgin Media and BT agree new mobile deal

Virgin Media and BT today announced a new five year Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) agreement.

Press Release http://www.virginmedia.com/corporate...bile-deal.html
Any Speculating city traders expecting/hoping for a Liberty/VM and Vodafone tie up in the UK, can now climb back into their hidey holes.
Old 09-01-2017, 14:35   #90
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Any Speculating city traders expecting/hoping for a Liberty/VM and Vodafone tie up in the UK, can now climb back into their hidey holes.
They're the Ross and Rachel of the telecoms world.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote