Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM General News Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

VM General News Thread

Old 21-11-2016, 15:06   #61
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: John Malone/Liberty/VM General News Thread

It's not an issue.

The older TiVo's built in connection doesn't go fast enough to need D3.1, and as already been discussed elsewhere the V6 doesn't have it's own modem, but connects to the Virgin Media Hub.
Old 21-11-2016, 16:10   #62
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
It's not an issue.

The older TiVo's built in connection doesn't go fast enough to need D3.1, and as already been discussed elsewhere the V6 doesn't have it's own modem, but connects to the Virgin Media Hub.
Is there anything in place to prevent the new TiVo's from taking bandwidth from your connection? Or is that tough tittie?

One of the big selling points of the Tivo was that dedicated modem not interfering with your broadband.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 16:23   #63
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

No comment on that at the moment.
Old 21-11-2016, 16:42   #64
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 2 V6 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

For a little while longer.
Old 22-11-2016, 21:04   #65
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Nice little interview Malone gave yesterday about how he sees the future of cable and mobile companies, which is basically what I've said here 18 months ago!

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/16/john-...nsolidate.html
Old 22-11-2016, 23:19   #66
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
One of the big selling points of the Tivo was that dedicated modem not interfering with your broadband.
It was a selling point but in practice the VOD experience on the Tivo has been pretty terrible.

Lately I've even been seeing a message claiming my internet isnt connected (complete with a picture of a dog pulling a cable from the tv) so there is obviously something a bit broke. VM must think so too if they are moving in a different direction with the V6
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 23:29   #67
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
It was a selling point but in practice the VOD experience on the Tivo has been pretty terrible.

Lately I've even been seeing a message claiming my internet isnt connected (complete with a picture of a dog pulling a cable from the tv) so there is obviously something a bit broke. VM must think so too if they are moving in a different direction with the V6
It's not just the VoD experience, I hate the TiVo. It's so bloody slow at everything it does. I mean it's still better than the old V+ boxes, but it's absolutely frustrating to use. When you click a wrong menu item and have to wait literally 10 seconds for it to catch up, just so you can go back.....

And for what? The "Graphically rich" UI isn't even that usable. The V6 better be nippy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Nice little interview Malone gave yesterday about how he sees the future of cable and mobile companies, which is basically what I've said here 18 months ago!

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/16/john-...nsolidate.html
So basically expect LibGlob to merge with a mobile network at some point.

Well it won't be the current Virgin MVNO as BT just bought them. Rumours of Vodafone merging have been going on for years, but Telefonica (O2) needs money fast so there's plenty of possibilities really.

He's not wrong, it makes a lot of sense to combine the efforts. I believe Virgin actually supplies a lot of backhaul for the various mobile networks, so it's a no brainer.
Old 23-11-2016, 00:22   #68
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:

Well it won't be the current Virgin MVNO as BT just bought them. Rumours of Vodafone merging have been going on for years, but Telefonica (O2) needs money fast so there's plenty of possibilities really.

He's not wrong, it makes a lot of sense to combine the efforts. I believe Virgin actually supplies a lot of backhaul for the various mobile networks, so it's a no brainer.
I guess in Europe the main providers of pay-TV and broadband comes down to:
- a satellite TV company eg Sky, Canal Plus
- a cable company often part of LGI
- the incumbent fixed line operator sometimes part-owned by Deutsche Telekom

How do these map to the various networks owned by Vodafone, 3-Hutchison, Telefonica-O2 plus a host of smaller companies like Telia, Tele2 and America Movil? No one knows at this stage but everyone speculates.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 00:25   #69
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
(snip)

Don't forget "his" American companies too, which is mainly what he was referring to.
Old 23-11-2016, 10:31   #70
Kushan

Yup, no doubt it'll be a series of mergers rather than one big one. It's only a matter of time before more EU networks start merging with each other, too.
Old 24-11-2016, 10:19   #71
MrIca
Inactive

MrIca is on a distinguished roadMrIca is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It's not just the VoD experience, I hate the TiVo. It's so bloody slow at everything it does. I mean it's still better than the old V+ boxes, but it's absolutely frustrating to use. When you click a wrong menu item and have to wait literally 10 seconds for it to catch up, just so you can go back.....

And for what? The "Graphically rich" UI isn't even that usable. The V6 better be nippy.

When did BT but Virgin Mobile? That's news to me.

I'm not sure Virgin supply backhaul for "various" mobile networks. I don't think EE or Three ever used them and EE certainly wouldn't now as they're part of BT Group.

They definitely provide backhaul for Vodafone though.
MrIca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 10:50   #72
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIca View Post
BT bought EE which Virgin Mobile currently use to run their network.
Old 24-11-2016, 12:29   #73
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I'm not sure Virgin supply backhaul for "various" mobile networks. I don't think EE or Three ever used them and EE certainly wouldn't now as they're part of BT Group.
They provide for the fibre network for MBNL

and MBNL provides the backhaul

http://mbnl.co.uk/

Quote:
Actually no they don't

They did, a long time ago, and they still provide circuits here and there around the country. But Vodafone have their own massive Fibre Network courtesy of C&W.
Old 24-11-2016, 20:02   #74
Kushan

Quote:

I feel like I've flipped your whole world upside down now :P
Old 28-12-2016, 15:23   #75
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Patrick Drahi’s Altice Sells SFR BeLux to Telenet, Owned by John Malone’s Liberty Global.

Patrick Drahi’s Netherlands-based Altice Group, parent of Altice USA and SFR, France’s No. 2 telecoms operator, has agreed to sell its businesses in Belgium and Luxembourg to the Telenet Group, owned by John Malone’s Liberty Global.

http://variety.com/2016/film/global/...et-1201947543/
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote