Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | CPU limiting Wifi?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

CPU limiting Wifi?

Old 07-04-2016, 20:49   #1
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
CPU limiting Wifi?

I wonder if someone can give me an answer on this....

I have a HP Laptop with 8GB ram which is just an Intel I3 5157@2.5Ghz.

The laptop is fine for my needs but the question is this, can a CPU limit the speed of wifi?

The reason is this, if i connect via internal Wifi i can get a max o 216mb on my 300 the internal is an Intel AC3165 and if i use a Netgear AC6100 USB dongle i get around 209mb.

The reason i think its the CPU limiting is i have another PC on wireless and can get between 306 and 316mb wirelessly.

The Router im using should be more than ample its an Asus AC87u.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2016, 21:05   #2
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
Re: CPU limiting Wifi?

Wireless is often very difficult to understand when it isn't working properly, yes CPU can be a limiting factor, but so can a lot of things.

What I would do is open the task manager and look at the cpu usage, if you are seeing high percentage during the copy then it's possible.
Old 07-04-2016, 21:08   #3
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Is the other PC a desktop or laptop? What speed do you get from your HP when it's in the same location as the PC?
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 21:11   #4
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Is your laptop USB 3.0?
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 22:32   #5
alanbjames
R.I.P.

alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Other system is a PC.

And yes its USB 3.0.
Old 08-04-2016, 15:12   #6
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

MUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
I wonder if someone can give me an answer on this....

I have a HP Laptop with 8GB ram which is just an Intel I3 5157@2.5Ghz.

The laptop is fine for my needs but the question is this, can a CPU limit the speed of wifi?
Yes, IF the wifi card/chip can go faster AND there isn't enough CPU left over after other things that are running to do the data transfer over USB. USB uses more CPU than an internal wifi card.

However, you have plenty of CPU as your passmark score shows for both single core and multi-core scores:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...7U+%40+2.50GHz

So unless your anti-virus is thrashing the CPU/hard disk then that's not the reason.

Quote:
The reason is this, if i connect via internal Wifi i can get a max o 216mb on my 300 the internal is an Intel AC3165 and if i use a Netgear AC6100 USB dongle i get around 209mb.
Both your internal wifi card and your usb wifi adapter are limited by the wifi chip they use, which is a single stream chip capable of connecting at 433Mbps.

http://www.netgear.nl/home/products/...#tab-techspecs
http://www.intel.nl/content/dam/www/...3165-brief.pdf

On 802.11ac expect a maximum throughput of around half of the connection or link speed.

So, 433Mbps / 2 = 216Mbps throughput. Which is what you get on the internal card. So nothing limiting that, except the type of wifi chip.

With the USB adapter, it's a nano adapter which means a very small antenna which will reduce the signal and therefore the reliability and throughput further. So you're doing great to get 209Mbps out of it!

If you want higher speeds you need to get a dual-stream wifi card/adapter capable of connecting at 866Mbps.

Quote:
The reason i think its the CPU limiting is i have another PC on wireless and can get between 306 and 316mb wirelessly.

The Router im using should be more than ample its an Asus AC87u.
Both ends of the connection need to support the same speed in order for you to get it. Having a super fast router that can do 1300Mbps connection rates is no good if you connect a device to it that can only do 433Mbps.
MUD_Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 16:37   #7
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

And don't forget the CPU has to encode and decode all the stuff going through. That is bound to slow it down I believe.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 17:10   #8
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

MUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
And don't forget the CPU has to encode and decode all the stuff going through. That is bound to slow it down I believe.
What is the CPU encoding/decoding?

In the context of the OP's problem your comments don't make any sense and aren't the reason for why the speed he's seeing is limited.
MUD_Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 19:56   #9
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Raw data is not transmitted and received. It's all encoded/encrypted (e.g. WEP, WPA, WPA2), and that takes processor time and resources to deal with I would suggest. Therefore throughput would be limited.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 16:06   #10
bobna
cf.addict

bobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the rough

tell me if i'm wrong here but i always thought the computer/tablet/phones wifi was handled via the internal wifi card which has its own decoding/encoding hardware built in, nothing to do with the cpu itself

i would try updating the wifi drivers or firmware, checking the computer for malware/virus etc..
bobna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 16:50   #11
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Thanks Guys.