Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VW accused of 'rigging' emissions tests

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

VW accused of 'rigging' emissions tests

Old 14-01-2017, 12:53   #61
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation
Re: VW accused of 'rigging' emissions tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Of course the company should be held accountable but i think the amount of money going to compensate people for something they probably didn't even consider when they bought the car is ridiculous and only serves to fuel a compensation culture
Not wanting to be poisoned is not 'a compensation culture'. People who have never bought a car are being poisoned by this filth and VW have betrayed everyone especially those who have invested in their brand, including their sister companies. The compensation culture is the means to make VW pay for its lies; I'd rather have cleaner air but financial ruination for VW would be the next best thing.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-01-2017, 12:59   #62
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Source

How many other manufacturers are up to cheating one wonders?
without a doubt there will be more .

Quote:
While they're investigating this they should also look at the scandalous MPG claims that can never be obtained in practice. Some models claim 40% better than in real driving.
I think this is a much bigger issue than the emissions scandal .People will buy cars based on mpg a lot more than emissions.

A good article here on that very subject
Old 14-01-2017, 13:08   #63
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
People will buy cars based on mpg a lot more than emissions.
Are you sure about that? I'd like it put to the test by asking parents which they would choose.
Old 14-01-2017, 13:15   #64
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
Not wanting to be poisoned is not 'a compensation culture'. People who have never bought a car are being poisoned by this filth and VW have betrayed everyone especially those who have invested in their brand, including their sister companies. The compensation culture is the means to make VW pay for its lies; I'd rather have cleaner air but financial ruination for VW would be the next best thing.
If people did't want to be poisoned that much they wouldn't buy cars at all .Cars will pollute that is an inescapable fact ,the only variable is how much it will pollute and as far as the average car buyer is concerned the amount that cars can pollute is heavily regulated and enforced once a year through the MOT ,removing their need to concern themselves with it too much .
Instead of filling the pockets of people who in reality couldn't care less about car emissions and weren't inconvenienced at all why not just heavily fine the company ,lock a few of the execs up and force the company to develop less polluting vehicles.

---------- Post added at 12:15 ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 ----------

Quote:
Are you sure about that? I'd like it put to the test by asking parents which they would choose.
speaking as a parent i can state that when i bought my VW van the only thing i was concerned about was mpg and load capacity .I suspect most parents will look at price, mpg,comfort and room inside long before they go into what emissions come out of the back end which will vary on a daily basis
Old 14-01-2017, 13:24   #65
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
If people did't want to be poisoned that much they wouldn't buy cars at all
Quote:
People who have never bought a car are being poisoned
Quote:
Cars will pollute that is an inescapable fact ,the only variable is how much it will pollute and as far as the average car buyer is concerned the amount that cars can pollute is heavily regulated and enforced once a year through the MOT ,removing their need to concern themselves with it too much .
Isn't that what VWs cheat device is all about? Conning test procedures but resuming its pollution on the road?

Quote:
Instead of filling the pockets of people who in reality couldn't care less about car emissions and weren't inconvenienced at all why not just heavily fine the company ,lock a few of the execs up and force the company to develop less polluting vehicles.
They'll care alright when their kids develop the associated respiratory problems. They should be compensated, the execs locked up, the Company heavily fined and stuff the Company.

Quote:
speaking as a parent i can state that when i bought my VW van the only thing i was concerned about was mpg and load capacity .I suspect most parents will look at price, mpg,comfort and room inside long before they go into what emissions come out of the back end which will vary on a daily basis
What you can't see won't hurt you eh? I hope your kids agree.

Last edited by Kursk; 14-01-2017 at 13:29.
Old 14-01-2017, 14:33   #66
martyh

Quote:
Isn't that what VWs cheat device is all about? Conning test procedures but resuming its pollution on the road?
Not sure it could con a rolling road test with a wand in the tail pipe for an MOT ,i think the software is more designed to con the regulatory bodies in lab testing .

Quote:
They'll care alright when their kids develop the associated respiratory problems. They should be compensated, the execs locked up, the Company heavily fined and stuff the Company.
no car manufacturer has ever promised no harmful emissions.Whatever VW said their emissions were supposed to be there will still be harmful emissions ,that is the cost of having cars on the roads .VW really only cheated the various governments who gave them green car allowances and tax reductions based on the emissions ,the general public that bought the cars were still poisoning the atmosphere even if the emissions were correctly reported
Old 14-01-2017, 14:45   #67
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Not sure it could con a rolling road test with a wand in the tail pipe for an MOT ,i think the software is more designed to con the regulatory bodies in lab testing .
I don't think it's a full rolling road test, just the driven axle like a dynamometer. The "trick" is using the ABS sensors to determine that the undriven wheels are not turning so it must be a test.

Last edited by heero_yuy; 14-01-2017 at 14:45. Reason: Fixed quotes
heero_yuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 19:48   #68
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
I don't think it's a full rolling road test, just the driven axle like a dynamometer. The "trick" is using the ABS sensors to determine that the undriven wheels are not turning so it must be a test.
Indeed. Can you imagine the furore if we had pulled this trick?

Quote:
no car manufacturer has ever promised no harmful emissions.Whatever VW said their emissions were supposed to be there will still be harmful emissions ,that is the cost of having cars on the roads .VW really only cheated the various governments who gave them green car allowances and tax reductions based on the emissions ,the general public that bought the cars were still poisoning the atmosphere even if the emissions were correctly reported
Never said they did but VW actively cheated their way around the parameters regarded as tolerable purely to enhance their profits at the cost of goodness knows how many respiratory related complications and deaths.

It's not just about cheating governments, VW cheated everyone and took them for mugs. I hope they are buried and would encourage everyone, regardless of whether they have one of the cars from their Group, to pursue them until they break.

And that includes you and your dirty van .
Old 15-01-2017, 22:11   #69
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

I would imagine that Diesel Vehicles will have to pay much more Road Tax in the future... Is our British Government going to sue VW like the Americans.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 01:53   #70
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard s View Post
I would imagine that Diesel Vehicles will have to pay much more Road Tax in the future... Is our British Government going to sue VW like the Americans.
Vehicle Excise Duty has been revised for 2017. The Exchequer were 'losing out' under the existing system.

I don't think the Government plans to sue; it is being left to owners.
Old 16-01-2017, 08:23   #71
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard s View Post
Its not that straightforward. The emissions they were cheating on were NOx (Oxides of Nitrogen), while road tax is only decided on CO2 emissions, I'm not sure how the cheating affected the output of those gases.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 11:22   #72
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Looks like they're still at it:

Quote:
Car giant Audi has been forced to recall 127,000 high-end motors after authorities found more hidden suspected emissions-cheating devices.

The discovery comes nearly a year after parent company Volkswagen announced the end of its internal probe into the scandal.

The recalls were ordered after experts from German vehicle regulator KBA found "unacceptable shut-off devices" on a number of new V6 diesel engines.

The state-of-the-art engines are found in the A4, A5, A6, A7, A8, Q5, sq 5, SQ5 Plus and Q7 models.

German tabloid Bild reported that the affected cars were all produced after the fallout from Volkswagen's emissions scandal.

In 2015 the auto giant was nabbed illegally manipulating engine software to help vehicles meet nitrogen oxide emissions standards in lab testing.
Source
Old 22-01-2018, 12:21   #73
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Looks like they're still at it:

Source
A bit like politicians in that they say they won't do it after they get caught out but alas they still continue to get up to the same dirty deeds unabated afterwards...
Old 22-01-2018, 14:14   #74
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat are on my list of poisonous-junk-I-will-never-buy; I hope more people realise these noxious fumes are probably creating 'asthma' in our kids.

It will be a wonderful bonus if leaving the EU makes the import tariff on these cars (even more) unattractive.
Old 22-01-2018, 16:08   #75
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat are on my list of poisonous-junk-I-will-never-buy; I hope more people realise these noxious fumes are probably creating 'asthma' in our kids.
Wow . . you really have got strange ideals.

Why don't you go the whole hog and refuse to buy ANY vehicle at all, in fact avoid anything made with steel and plastic, stop using 90% of household cleaners, then move out into the middle of nowhere and live off the land.

There's a heck of a lot more stuff damaging peoples health than a few cars putting out 0.1% more 'poisonous' fumes.
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote