Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VW accused of 'rigging' emissions tests

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

VW accused of 'rigging' emissions tests

Old 17-07-2016, 22:23   #46
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: VW accused of 'rigging' emissions tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post
I don't know I know a couple of people who took emissions into account last time they bought a car and it was something that swayed their choice and if the information wasn't honest and deserves compensation in the US it deserves it here. I'm not overly bothered myself if people are that bothered by emissions use public transport but if a company is going to do something in one place they can't be too shocked that the public expect it to apply in all areas. If we want honest company's we have to be able to hit them where it hurts.
Being the cynic I am I would say that the only consideration they had for the emissions was for the road tax bracket not the welfare of the planet.
Advertisement
Old 17-07-2016, 23:45   #47
RizzyKing

Oh I agree the two I'm thinking of are only environmentally aware as long as it doesn't cost them money or inconvenience them much like the majority really but if a company gives compensation for something in one country not a shocker people in another country expect equal treatment.
Old 12-01-2017, 17:56   #48
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Volkswagen has pleaded guilty to three criminal charges in the US and will pay fines totalling $4.3bn (£3.5bn) to settle charges over the emissions-rigging scandal.
The firm will pay $2.8bn in criminal fines and $1.5bn in civil penalties.
US Attorney-General Loretta Lynch said VW denied and then lied in a bid to cover up its actions.
The fines amounted to one of the biggest clean air penalties ever achieved, she added.
Six VW executives and managers have also been charged over their role in the emissions cheating.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38590197

Given that the EU is committed to imposing fines for pollution levels in the likes of London I wonder whether VW (and others possibly) will be called to account for their contribution to it.

It looks like there are now questions being raised about Chrysler-Fiat:

Quote:
Fiat Chrysler has been accused of not telling authorities about software regulating emissions in thousands of its diesel vehicles.
The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) said the company broke the law by installing, but failing to disclose, the technology in more than 100,000 Jeeps and Dodge vehicles.
The EPA says the software has resulted in higher emissions of nitrogen oxides.
Fiat Chrysler shares fell more than 13% in New York on the news.
The company is also listed in Milan and its shares were suspended after falling as much as 16%.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38600012
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 18:40   #49
j52c
Inactive

j52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant future

Good.

My car goes in for the fix next Friday morning.

When I booked it in the guy on the phone wanted me to have it serviced at the same time at a normal service cost, but I told him no chance it was only serviced 6 months ago and I have only done 1200 miles since then. Then he wanted me to pay £14.40 for a 32 point check so I said I may ring back before I bring it in because I could use the check next month when I change the car, he wasn't too happy when I said that.

There is a group of lawyers getting together to put a ‘collective actions’ under the Consumer Rights Act, for compensation for car owners in this country and this news is good for them, I joined it 3 months ago.
j52c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 18:59   #50
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Will there <cough> be anything in it <cough> for all the people they've <cough> poisoned with their <cough> emissions cheat?

I need to get my hands on some of that compo.

<cough, cough>
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 19:31   #51
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I'm sure you'll soon start getting the phone calls and texts.

"We'd like to talk to you about your recent accident / ppi claim / VW claim" ......

"We understand you recently came into contact with the emmisions of a VW" ......

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 19:36   #52
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by j52c View Post
Good.

My car goes in for the fix next Friday morning.

When I booked it in the guy on the phone wanted me to have it serviced at the same time at a normal service cost, but I told him no chance it was only serviced 6 months ago and I have only done 1200 miles since then. Then he wanted me to pay £14.40 for a 32 point check so I said I may ring back before I bring it in because I could use the check next month when I change the car, he wasn't too happy when I said that.

There is a group of lawyers getting together to put a ‘collective actions’ under the Consumer Rights Act, for compensation for car owners in this country and this news is good for them, I joined it 3 months ago.
I'd drop VW UK a line about that dealer. They shouldn't be touting for workshop work on top of the recall.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 20:16   #53
j52c
Inactive

j52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyds View Post
I'd drop VW UK a line about that dealer. They shouldn't be touting for workshop work on top of the recall.

I am going to, don't worry.
j52c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 21:44   #54
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
I'm sure you'll soon start getting the phone calls and texts.

"We'd like to talk to you about your recent accident / ppi claim / VW claim" ......

"We understand you recently came into contact with the emmisions of a VW" ......
I do wish HMG would just make those calls illegal but they'd probably just go offshore.

Last edited by Osem; 12-01-2017 at 21:48.
Old 14-01-2017, 11:04   #55
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
"Volkswagen obfuscated, they denied, and they ultimately lied."
These were the words of the US Attorney General Loretta Lynch, as she set out how the German carmaker would be punished for attempting to hoodwink the US authorities over the emissions produced by its diesel cars.
It has been a tough week for Volkswagen.
It has been fined $4.3bn, agreed to plead guilty to criminal charges - and six executives are facing charges. One of them, Oliver Schmidt, has spent the past few days in a Miami jail. Others may yet find themselves in the firing line.
But because of this, we now have a very clear idea not only of what Volkswagen was doing wrong, and how it went about it, but also the measures that were taken to conceal that wrongdoing.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38603723

More detail about how VW went about their subterfuge.

I bet there's more than a few squeaky bottoms amongst the ranks of the car industry's executives because if this was down to the difficulty of meeting the ever more onerous emissions standards at a realistic cost, how many other diesel manufacturers may have done the same thing and what about those who may have suffered because they didn't go down that route?

VW evidently cheated their way to market share and in so doing may have put other honest manufacturers at a huge competitive disadvantage. I wonder if they'll take legal action too.

Last edited by Osem; 14-01-2017 at 11:10.
Old 14-01-2017, 11:50   #56
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
THOUSANDS of people who bought a Volkswagen are signing up with the law firm of Ambulance, Chase and Run saying they’ve been emotionally scarred by the news that their car’s emission figures were all faked.

This means, and it’ll be hysterical to watch, that they must all stand up in court with oniony eyes and snivelly noses and explain to the judge that they weren’t interested in how much their car cost or how many miles to the gallon it did – only the impact it would have on Johnny Polar Bear.

It’s reckoned that if they put in a particularly good performance, they could trouser around three grand. Not bad for a morning’s work.

I’m not siding here with VW. They cheated. They lied. And they were caught. But I do think we need a bit of perspective. It’s not like they sold a car that they knew would explode or crash into a tree.
Jeremy Clarkson About half way down that page.
Old 14-01-2017, 12:10   #57
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Jeremy Clarkson About half way down that page.
Have to say i think the yanks have a bit of cheek making such a fuss about car emissions given the things they produce and their record on pollution in general .Are the yanks really that concerned about pollution or do they see this an opportunity to sue someone and stick it to the foreign car makers
Old 14-01-2017, 12:19   #58
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Two wrongs don't make a right. People bought VWs in good faith and were conned. There is a heavy price to pay and the US settlement should only be the start. Nor should VW think it can limit its losses; it will end when it ends including prison sentences and unlimited funds for redress. Preferably at a point when the Company breaks.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 12:41   #59
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
Two wrongs don't make a right. People bought VWs in good faith and were conned. There is a heavy price to pay and the US settlement should only be the start. Nor should VW think it can limit its losses; it will end when it ends including prison sentences and unlimited funds for redress. Preferably at a point when the Company breaks.
Of course the company should be held accountable but i think the amount of money going to compensate people for something they probably didn't even consider when they bought the car is ridiculous and only serves to fuel a compensation culture
Old 14-01-2017, 12:51   #60
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
The UK Department for Transport has asked for details of a US probe into Fiat Chrysler diesel emissions software as a matter of urgency.

The car maker has been accused of not telling authorities about software that could allow excess diesel emissions.

The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) said 104,000 Jeep Grand Cherokees and Dodge Ram trucks were affected.

The move comes as French investigators plan to probe Renault over suspected "cheating" in diesel emissions tests.

A Department for Transport spokesman said it was "urgently seeking further information" from the EPA as well as Fiat Chrysler about vehicles sold in the UK.

The government has ordered tests on a Jeep Grand Cherokee, he said. "Our priority is to protect the interests of UK consumers."
Source

How many other manufacturers are up to cheating one wonders?

While they're investigating this they should also look at the scandalous MPG claims that can never be obtained in practice. Some models claim 40% better than in real driving.