Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] Help - Wireless setup advice please

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] Help - Wireless setup advice please

Old 22-10-2008, 13:48   #1
bonkers82
Inactive

bonkers82 is an unknown quantity at this point
[Merged] Help - Wireless setup advice please

Hi everyone. Was hoping sum1 cud help me out. The wee boy has an Xbox 360 which we connect to the internet with an ethernet cable. He is getting a laptop for xmas and is wanting to go on internet from his bedroom. How do I find out if I only need a router or if I also need an adapter?

This whole topic is absolute jargan to me!!!!
bonkers82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-10-2008, 13:52   #2
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Re: help

to the forums.

All laptops these days will have built in wifi so I would suggest you buy a Wireless broadband router if you are on cable or if you connect via ADSL, an ADSL router.

You can connect the XBox via the normal ethernet wire you have or wirelessly and the same goes with laptop. The routers have ports for wired and wireless connections.

So your laptop, XBox, computers, etc plug into the router either wired or wirelessly, the router plugs into your modem, and that should be it.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 13:55   #3
bonkers82
Inactive

the laptop does have the built in wifi. So all I need to do is buy a WIRELESS BROADBAND ROUTER. Sorry for being really simple!! Will this take the place of my existing modem?
Old 22-10-2008, 13:55   #4
Halcyon
Hello !

Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Who is your service provider ?

Do you know if you connect via cable or ADSL which is into your phone line ?

Old 22-10-2008, 13:59   #5
bonkers82
Inactive

My ISP is Virgin and I connect via broadband.

This networking stuff has me totally bambozzled???????
Old 22-10-2008, 14:10   #6
Halcyon
Hello !

Don't worry, we have all been there.

Basically you keep your current modem. Turn everything off.

Plug the modem into your new router, then plug your laptops and other devices you want to connect to the router.
The first time you need to connect it via wired connection to set up everything.
This will be explained in the routers manual.

Turn on modem, wait 30 seconds, turn on router, boot up computers and connect to the net.

Once you buy your router we can explain how to set it up and make it secure.

Old 22-10-2008, 14:14   #7
Halcyon
Hello !

There is a list of reccomended Routers here:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87...info-here.html

Old 22-10-2008, 14:17   #8
bonkers82
Inactive

is wired better than wireless?

Can you recommend one?

What about ebay, is it any good for buying such things (never been on it b4 tho)

---------- Post added at 13:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:14 ----------

would a wireless one mean having to buy a USB adapter for my PC
Old 22-10-2008, 14:24   #9
Halcyon
Hello !

The reason i mentioned a wireless router is that you said the laptop was for your son's bedroom. A laptop tends to be taken all over the place so seeing that the lapto has built in wifi, it would be the easiest way of connecting it up as otherwise you are looking at having to trail an ethernet cable from whereever your Modem and router will be to where you want your son to have his laptop. And then he won't be able to use it anywhere else. That is why I'd recommend the wirless route for ease of installation.

If you don't mind ethernet wires going off to each device you want hooked up to the Internet, then wired routers are slightly cheaper, but only by about £10 so not much in it.
The advantage of a wirless router is that they have wired ports at the back so you wouldnt need to buy a a usb adapter for your PC. You could just have an ethernet wire going to that machine and the laptop can remain wireless. You can use both wired and wireless.

At the end of the day it's personal chice. Wired can offer slightly better transfer rates. If you live in an old house or if poor reception you may have problems but for general web surfing you should be fine.
Obviously with a wirless connection it is important to set up a password on the router to stop other people using your connection but this is simple to do.

Ebay isnt bad for buying things but in my opinion with electrical equipment , it is best buying new.

I'l have a look for some good routers to reccomend you.

Old 22-10-2008, 14:45   #10
bonkers82
Inactive

that's brilliant, thanks.
Old 22-10-2008, 14:47   #11
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonkers82 View Post
would a wireless one mean having to buy a USB adapter for my PC
Most wireless routers will have four wired ports as well as wireless capability so the existing PC and XBOX can be wired in and the laptop can be wireless..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 15:14   #12
bonkers82
Inactive

ah, think I'm finally beginning to understand how it works!!

I hope so lol
Old 23-10-2008, 08:58   #13
derbywoman
Inactive

derbywoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Help - wireless setup

Help, I'm a complete novice and found your site and wonder if anyone can help me to set up a wireless network. I already have a wired in Internet computer on my desk but wish to add a wireless laptop so that I can use the net elsewhere at home. Is it possible to do this? Nothing I have read so far seems to say - and my son says it's easy to do - well if you know what you are doing. Now the laptop has been connected to the Internet previously when owned by another member of the family so I know it has Internet capabilities. So, please easy steps - if anyone knows how to do it. Many thanks Derbywoman
derbywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 09:15   #14
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: [Merged] Help - Wireless setup advice please

to the forum derbywoman. I have merged your question into another current thread on the same subject, so you can benefit from the advice that has already been shared here. Feel free to ask more questions.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 09:47   #15
derbywoman
Inactive

derbywoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: [Merged] Help - Wireless setup advice please

Thanks, a little bit of clarification may be of help. I have a netgear modem from the postoffice. The new laptop has a Inventel adaptor - now is this the adaptor I need for my laptop to connect. Now you can see I'm an absolute novice - so help. If it is I take from what I have read that its better to directly connect to the modem to start off with - I expect so the laptop has all the settings. It doesn't sesm that I have a disc to go with the Inventel - and I don't know where to find it - the laptop belonged to my late brother in law - so he can't help!! Hope you understand what I am asking. many thanks Derbywoman.
derbywoman is offline   Reply With Quote