Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] Linksys & Ntl 10Meg SUX

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] Linksys & Ntl 10Meg SUX

Old 30-06-2006, 11:36   #16
micken
Inactive

micken is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: [Merged] Linksys & Ntl 10Meg SUX

Did hard reset of WRT54GS v.5 after firmware upgrade to v.1.50.8 then full power cycle for modem, router and pc.

Tested the speed by downloading SP2 whilst running a trial version of Network Magic Premium with Speed Meter Pro that allowed me to monitor the WAN and LAN speeds.

Got a throughput of 9.98mbps on the WAN according to Speed Meter Pro. The Windows download information settled on 1.16MB/s. All wired LAN connections are 100Mbps and the wireless connection is 54Mbps.

Using Speakeasy speed tests to NY concurrently on two wired desktops gives Download speeds of 6+Mbps and Upload speeds of 470+kbps on both machines.

Looks like this has settled the issue of my 10meg connection being effectively routed through the WRT54GS.

I can recommend Network Magic for checking and managing your home network. There's a 30 day trial of the Premium edition which drops to a Basic freebie afterwards. I have reservations about the purchase of the Premium version being on an annual subscription basis, however it's not that expensive considering the ease of use of the software and it's GUI. I'll see what the freebie leaves me with after the trial period.

Details here http://www.networkmagic.com/

Thanks for all the helpful advice and I hope that the comments I've added will assist others in getting the best out of this router. From my reading I know it's a mixed bag of tricks and that there's a certain love / hate relationship with the later models like mine.

Wonder if I'll be attracted to 3rd party firmware? For the moment though .... if it ain't broke .....
micken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-06-2006, 11:59   #17
Mr J
Inactive

Services: NTL 10mb
Mr J is an unknown quantity at this point

Cool, glad to see your all sorted and happy!1
Mr J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2006, 14:51   #18
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

Quote:
Originally Posted by micken
Did hard reset of WRT54GS v.5 after firmware upgrade to v.1.50.8 then full power cycle for modem, router and pc.

Tested the speed by downloading SP2 whilst running a trial version of Network Magic Premium with Speed Meter Pro that allowed me to monitor the WAN and LAN speeds.

Got a throughput of 9.98mbps on the WAN according to Speed Meter Pro. The Windows download information settled on 1.16MB/s. All wired LAN connections are 100Mbps and the wireless connection is 54Mbps.

Using Speakeasy speed tests to NY concurrently on two wired desktops gives Download speeds of 6+Mbps and Upload speeds of 470+kbps on both machines.

Looks like this has settled the issue of my 10meg connection being effectively routed through the WRT54GS.

I can recommend Network Magic for checking and managing your home network. There's a 30 day trial of the Premium edition which drops to a Basic freebie afterwards. I have reservations about the purchase of the Premium version being on an annual subscription basis, however it's not that expensive considering the ease of use of the software and it's GUI. I'll see what the freebie leaves me with after the trial period.

Details here http://www.networkmagic.com/

Thanks for all the helpful advice and I hope that the comments I've added will assist others in getting the best out of this router. From my reading I know it's a mixed bag of tricks and that there's a certain love / hate relationship with the later models like mine.

Wonder if I'll be attracted to 3rd party firmware? For the moment though .... if it ain't broke .....

Dont think you can get a third party firmware for any of the Linksys routers v5 onwards. I could only upgrade mine as I bought an old stock v2 for cheap.
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2006, 14:58   #19
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZrByte
Dont think you can get a third party firmware for any of the Linksys routers v5 onwards. I could only upgrade mine as I bought an old stock v2 for cheap.
You might want to take a look at the link I posted on this thread.

They have found a way to get at least one third party firmware running on the v5s.
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote