Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless Woes

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless Woes

Old 30-10-2005, 21:06   #1
Kerm
Inactive

Kerm is an unknown quantity at this point
Wireless Woes

Hi guys, am about to move house and really would like to set up a wireless network but my understanding is limited to say the least! My main problem is that I'm moving to rented accomodation and have to cause minimal damage to the walls etc.

I was wondering if I just need to get the regular cable TV installation, plug in the cable modem and wireless router and then link that to the 2 PC's around the house (that way, the only damage is the main cable box on the wall). Or, do I have to run a primary Broadband link to a PC in order to wirelessly link it to the other PC? I'm hoping it's the former. I currently have a separate cable running around the house and into another room with the broadband link - something I cannot do in the new place.

As an aside, when I leave the place, I'll need to return it to the same condition as when I moved in - would NTL remove all their equipment? (for a fee of course). Cheers.
Kerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-10-2005, 21:59   #2
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Re: Wireless Woes

What you describe should work fine. The wireless router (make sure its a cable router and not ADSL) will radiate the signal round your house and your PC's fitted with wireless cards will then communicate with the router.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2005, 22:16   #3
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=31794
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2005, 22:30   #4
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerm
As an aside, when I leave the place, I'll need to return it to the same condition as when I moved in - would NTL remove all their equipment? (for a fee of course). Cheers.
Nope, when you cancel your contract with NTL, they'll be interested in getting back the set top box (if you've got digital TV) but they won't remove the white box that they fix, nor will they remove any cabling they've installed.

ps Welcome to Cable Forum
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2005, 22:54   #5
abailey152
Inactive

Services: 60Mb VM BB Sky+HD
abailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to abailey152 Send a message via Yahoo to abailey152

Re: the Wireless Cable Router. You may need to initially connect one PC to it via a hardwired ethernet link in order to set it up. Afterwards, it can be left by the CM and your PC's can connect wirelessly.
abailey152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2005, 22:57   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey152
Re: the Wireless Cable Router. You may need to initially connect one PC to it via a hardwired ethernet link in order to set it up. Afterwards, it can be left by the CM and your PC's can connect wirelessly.
However, if one of the PCs is close to the router anyway, leave it cabled. It's a more reliable connection.

You may need to do a little cabling - for best performance the router should be elevated, somewhere it can spread its signal easily. Not inside your TV cabinet, which is where you might logically think to put it if you're using it to share internet from an NTL set-top box.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2005, 23:06   #7
abailey152
Inactive

Services: 60Mb VM BB Sky+HD
abailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to abailey152 Send a message via Yahoo to abailey152

Good advice.
abailey152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2005, 12:09   #8
Kerm
Inactive

Kerm is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers guys, great advice. Will see if I can get one PC close to the modem for a proper link, and wireless-route the other.

I suspected as much for the removal of cabling, just need to convince the landlord now that future tenants can benefit from NTL's wonderful service
Kerm is offline   Reply With Quote