Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 30-04-2015, 13:19   #346
johnhook
Permanently Banned

johnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about them
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
it getting close now 10074 seems very stable still needs so things sorting but it still a beta so that's expected
did you notice the name change?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (6.6 KB, 32 views)
johnhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-04-2015, 13:32   #347
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhook View Post
did you notice the name change?
yes straight away insider preview guess out of alpha and in beta now
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 16:10   #348
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Maybe that's the point?

As far as I was aware for consumers you'll only have Edge installed in Windows 10 by default.
I thought the EU ruled that Microsoft cant have any browser installed by default now and has to offer users a browser choice screen instead (which happens to be a web page loaded in IE... )
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 16:16   #349
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
I thought the EU ruled that Microsoft cant have any browser installed by default now and has to offer users a browser choice screen instead (which happens to be a web page loaded in IE... )
That ended in December http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30501518

You now get this message if you try and use it even on existing computers http://www.browserchoice.eu/BrowserC...rchoice_en.htm

Quote:
This website was created by Microsoft in accordance with a decision issued by the European Commission in December 2009. The obligations imposed by the decision have now expired and Microsoft will no longer maintain this website. Microsoft encourages customers who want more information about web browsers or want to download another browser to do so by visiting the websites of web browser vendors directly.
Old 30-04-2015, 16:54   #350
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Services: Almost the lot
cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of

Will I be able to use an older version of office on the new OS?
cupcakes aka dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 17:07   #351
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakes aka dd View Post
Will I be able to use an older version of office on the new OS?
what version are you thinking of don't think anything older than 2010 will
Old 30-04-2015, 17:10   #352
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
That ended in December http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30501518

You now get this message if you try and use it even on existing computers http://www.browserchoice.eu/BrowserC...rchoice_en.htm
Interesting. Didn't know that - last Windows 7 install I did recently still had the chooser screen, but it was a few months ago.

---------- Post added at 16:10 ---------- Previous post was at 16:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
what version are you thinking of don't think anything older than 2010 will
2013 gives me eye strain so I forcefully uninstalled it at work. If I can't run 2010 at least on 10 I'll not be getting it.

Or more likely I'll figure out a way. Some versions of 2010 are deployed as virtual apps anyway.
Old 30-04-2015, 17:21   #353
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

How does this xBox One/Windows 10 app work? I assume I have to have the xBox on to be able to play it on my laptop? If not, then that is excellent news I can just play xBox One when relatives come to stay and ignore them.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 17:33   #354
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
2013 gives me eye strain so I forcefully uninstalled it at work. If I can't run 2010 at least on 10 I'll not be getting it.
Which theme were you using? The Dark Grey theme in 2013 is a lot better than the default white one, and is fairly similar to 'Silver' in 2010.

http://www.aidanfinn.com/?p=13854
Old 30-04-2015, 18:36   #355
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

I tried the dark grey, but it was still too bright and more importantly bare.

Also Outlook stopped displaying information that I needed.

I'm a luddite when it comes to new versions of Microsoft products. Or most software in fact.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:59   #356
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984 View Post
How does this xBox One/Windows 10 app work? I assume I have to have the xBox on to be able to play it on my laptop? If not, then that is excellent news I can just play xBox One when relatives come to stay and ignore them.
It works the other way round. You stream from your device to your Xbox. I was using the feature last night with my Android tablet.
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:29   #357
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Maybe that's the point?

As far as I was aware for consumers you'll only have Edge installed in Windows 10 by default.

So by making the logo look similar to IE it's immediately obviously that it's the browser - even if you only then use it to download Chrome / Firefox etc.

But it will be an issue where you're in a corporate environment and the deployment includes both.
That's the only time i use IE

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:48   #358
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimt View Post
It works the other way round. You stream from your device to your Xbox. I was using the feature last night with my Android tablet.
no you stream xbox games to pc but you can stream movies ect from pc to xbox

Streaming Xbox One games to a Windows 10 PC is awesome
By Tom Warren
on April 30, 2015 04:31 pm
@tomwarren

Streaming Xbox One games to a Windows 10 PC is awesome
Old 01-05-2015, 11:05   #359
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimt View Post
No it is the other way around Cimt, you stream from the Xbox to a compatible device.

Quote:
Stream Xbox One games to your Windows 10 PC

Windows 10 extends the Xbox experience with game streaming. Play your Xbox One games on a desktop, laptop, or tablet in your home on your local Wi-Fi.*
http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/windows-10

edit, beaten to it by Dave42.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:10   #360
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

There is a new streaming app for xbox one that let's you stream stuff from an Android or windows device to the console.

There is also streaming games from xbox to windows 10 but not sure when that launches.