Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Shakes Up Mobile Market

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Shakes Up Mobile Market

Old 08-04-2010, 11:26   #16
SilverLady
Inactive

SilverLady is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Shakes Up Mobile Market

Just tried this, but came unstuck at the Indian call centre.

Managed to get through Virgin Media and was transferred to her colleague in Virgin Mobile, but couldn't understand what the girl was saying due to accent and poor connection.

Have now e-mailed Virgin Mobile to ask how to arrange transfer.
SilverLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2010, 14:23   #17
WBC-WORKER
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV { XL } and 20 MB Broadband
WBC-WORKER is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLady View Post
Just tried this, but came unstuck at the Indian call centre.

Managed to get through Virgin Media and was transferred to her colleague in Virgin Mobile, but couldn't understand what the girl was saying due to accent and poor connection.

Have now e-mailed Virgin Mobile to ask how to arrange transfer.
I know how you feel - you have to stick with it as they do have the information but with it being new they have to hunt for it.

Called Virgin but got switched though to India - the female I spoke to clearly did not have a clue about Simply 8p as she thought I wanted to switch to a Monthly Account and wanted me to set up a direct debit.

It took a while to get though to her that I was intending to keep it as a PAYG account { I don't make enough calls to make it worth my while switching } - she had to go away but she must have found a crib sheet that related to ' Simply 8p Tariff '

She asked me if I wanted a new number - God knows why. - No

Have you not thought of the benefits of a direct debit ? - No there is no benefits for me.

I reckon they don't allow changes to be made online just so they can try to sell you something.

It took nearly ten minuets to make the call but within thirty minuets the switch had been made.

After lots of searching the simply 8 p tariff is listed simply 8 p tariff page

WBC-WORKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 15:28   #18
SmartMart
Inactive

SmartMart is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC-WORKER View Post
After lots of searching the simply 8 p tariff is listed simply 8 p tariff page
Something I don't understand about this is the cost of calls to 08xx numbers. It says "Up to 30p per minute". What's with the "Up to" nonsense - have you queried this?

Regards .....
SmartMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 15:32   #19
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Numbers in the 08xx range don't all attract the same charge. At opposite ends of that scale you have 0845 (which BT dubbed lo-call when it wanted to disguise the fact that it was no longer a 'local' rate) and 0870 which is usually quoted as being equivalent to a 'national' rate.

Designations like 'local' and 'national' have no technical meaning any more but they are a useful way for phone companies, or rather, the subscriber who has bought access to the number, such as your car insurer or electricity company, to charge more for some calls than others.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 16:15   #20
WBC-WORKER
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMart View Post
Something I don't understand about this is the cost of calls to 08xx numbers. It says "Up to 30p per minute". What's with the "Up to" nonsense - have you queried this?

Regards .....
I did spot that but as I use my phone to reach friends I would have no need to use a 08xx number.

All I know was the other day it was 20 pence and its now 8 pence to make a voice call so I am happy.
Old 08-04-2010, 19:13   #21
SmartMart
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Numbers in the 08xx range don't all attract the same charge. At opposite ends of that scale you have 0845 (which BT dubbed lo-call when it wanted to disguise the fact that it was no longer a 'local' rate) and 0870 which is usually quoted as being equivalent to a 'national' rate.

Designations like 'local' and 'national' have no technical meaning any more but they are a useful way for phone companies, or rather, the subscriber who has bought access to the number, such as your car insurer or electricity company, to charge more for some calls than others.
As these numbers don't attract the same charge they should be listed individually so that folks know exactly what they're going to be charged prior to making a call.

Regards .....
Old 08-04-2010, 19:47   #22
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Yes, they probably should be. But I expect someone in the marketing department decided it looked untidy.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:24   #23
SilverLady
Inactive

Thanks WBC-WORKER

I haven't had a reply to the e-mail I sent yet, but on it I listed the 4 PAYG virgin mobile numbers in our household that I would like to transfer.

After reading your posting I logged into my Virgin Mobile account on-line and sure enough current tariff after each number is now listed as 'Simply 8'.

The phones are not used much, so I don't often log into the Virgin account. Without your info I wouldn't have known the transfer had been made, so thanks again.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:58   #24
WBC-WORKER
Inactive

Quote:
Thanks WBC-WORKER

I haven't had a reply to the e-mail I sent yet, but on it I listed the 4 PAYG virgin mobile numbers in our household that I would like to transfer.

After reading your posting I logged into my Virgin Mobile account on-line and sure enough current tariff after each number is now listed as 'Simply 8'.

The phones are not used much, so I don't often log into the Virgin account. Without your info I wouldn't have known the transfer had been made, so thanks again.
The weird part is I try to give my Virgin broadband/TV cable account number but she said it was not necessary - anyway the switch has been made .

Funny enough I was waiting for my balance to reduce as I was intending to pay the £ 15 to get it unlocked and then I was going to use a ASDA Sim card as I wanted to keep my current phone but now with the reduction its not worth unlocking.

Its just a shame that Virgin don't spell out all their charges but as I tend to only use it in the summer speaking to friends when we are working at festivals I will not lose much sleep.

of course if ASDA had not made such a good offer I doubt Virgin would have made their reductions.
Old 09-04-2010, 13:41   #25
SmartMart
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC-WORKER View Post
of course if ASDA had not made such a good offer I doubt Virgin would have made their reductions.
I would imagine that Tesco's "Lite" offering had something to do with it as well

I still find the Tesco offering to be a better deal than Virgin's and I didn't need to be a Tesco shopping customer to qualify when I signed up for Tesco Lite about six months ago

Regards .....
Old 09-04-2010, 16:34   #26
SilverLady
Inactive

Quote:
Thanks WBC-WORKER

OOPS sorry for maligning Virgin Mobile. Have just discovered that each mobile has received a text message telling that transfer to Simply 8 has taken place - dated yesterday. So this has been good service.
Old 10-04-2010, 23:41   #27
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMart View Post
I would imagine that Tesco's "Lite" offering had something to do with it as well

I still find the Tesco offering to be a better deal than Virgin's and I didn't need to be a Tesco shopping customer to qualify when I signed up for Tesco Lite about six months ago

Regards .....
Virgin lost me to Tesco Lite a while ago also, partialy due to price, partialy due to the patchy T-Mobile reception in some areas. The 40p per minute mobile to mobile rate on the standard tariff was a real loss leader.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote