Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media urges password change over hacking risk

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media urges password change over hacking risk

Old 23-06-2017, 09:20   #1
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40371373

Quote:
Virgin Media has told 800,000 customers to change their passwords to protect against being hacked.
An investigation by Which? found that hackers could access the provider's Super Hub 2 router, allowing access to users' smart appliances.
A child's toy and domestic CCTV cameras were among the vulnerable devices.
Virgin Media said the risk was small but advised customers using default network and router passwords to update them immediately.

Last edited by admars; 23-06-2017 at 09:25.
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-06-2017, 09:29   #2
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
Re: Virgin Media urges password change over hacking risk

Is this the wifi password or the router login password?
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 09:43   #3
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Them seem to think they fixed the flaws last week ??
https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/ne...security_flaw/

Quote:
Virgin Media has assured customers with a Super Hub router that a security flaw has been resolved.

Researchers from Context Information Security found vulnerabilities in the Super Hub 2 and Super Hub 2AC that meant hackers could monitor traffic going in and out of the device.

This was possible because, although configuration back-ups had been encrypted, the private encryption key was identical across all UK hubs.

Virgin Media has now deployed a firmware patch that addresses this shortcoming and assured customers they are no longer at risk.
Need to make their minds up, is it secure or not?
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 09:46   #4
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

it would be sensible to change both from the default
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 09:46   #5
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

It's a good idea to change your password anyway, as if the hackers have the config of the router, they will have your old password.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 09:57   #6
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Did change my router login password from the default as soon as I got this hub a while back.
Old 23-06-2017, 09:59   #7
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
It's a good idea to change your password anyway, as if the hackers have the config of the router, they will have your old password.
l gather this flaw does not affect the SH3?.
Old 23-06-2017, 10:00   #8
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Done, another password to forget though (!)

The BBC report is rubbish - 'Virgin Media has told 800,000 customers' - they haven't told me - found out via BBC News....

Last edited by Mr K; 23-06-2017 at 10:05.
Old 23-06-2017, 10:13   #9
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

May need to check my daughters hub for router login, was the router login password default 'password' or 'changeme' ?
Old 23-06-2017, 10:17   #10
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
The BBC report is rubbish - 'Virgin Media has told 800,000 customers' - they haven't told me
Me neither, no letters or emails or anything. This is the first I have heard about it. I am not stupid enough though to lave the default passwords in place, the very first thing I did when I got my shub was change the password and put it in modem mode
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 10:32   #11
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Me neither, no letters or emails or anything. This is the first I have heard about it. I am not stupid enough though to lave the default passwords in place, the very first thing I did when I got my shub was change the password and put it in modem mode
yes i'm in modem mode, begs the question, is this an issue if you are in Modem mode ? best to change it anyway i guess.
Old 23-06-2017, 10:44   #12
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I don't so because in order to get to the device on your network they still need to go through your proper router.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 10:54   #13
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

We have one of these but I don't remember any of the set up so how do I check? Could someone post some clear simple information as to what users need to do and how to do it please? I have just checked an we are still using a code which is stamped on the bottom of the SH when we need to access wi-fi. Is this what needs to be changed, something else or both? Cheers as always.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 11:06   #14
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

This is talking about the default passwords printed on the bottom - mainly the wireless one, but it's also sense to update the admin one at the same time.

Details about how to change the Wireless password on all Virgin Media's Hubs are here:
https://help.virginmedia.com/system/...eless-password

And on the forum here http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...e/ba-p/3456004

And here is how to change the admin page password:
https://help.virginmedia.com/system/...-page-password

What's missing from the BBC report is that it still took Which days to discover the default password:
http://www.which.co.uk/news/2017/06/...ssword-change/

Quote:
Using publicly available hacking tools that can be found on the web, we were able to crack the router password in just a few days.

Last edited by BenMcr; 23-06-2017 at 11:22.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 11:24   #15
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

This seems to suggest you can have an SH3 just for asking, true/false?
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote