Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Rugby Union Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport

Rugby Union Thread
Closed Thread

Old 25-02-2007, 11:51   #31
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Rugby Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzae View Post
Just back in. Was at the Bot in Belfast to watch the game, atmosphere was great almost as good as being at Croker. Great game. If only we had kept our concentration at the end of the French game.
Yes - it reminded me of the World Cup game v. Australia a few years ago which Ireland really should have won but didn't.

---------- Post added at 10:51 ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Now now boys play nicely or someone will take the ball away
He he he - yeah well the way our national football, cricket and rugby teams are playing at the moment that'd probably help
Advertisement
Old 25-02-2007, 13:24   #32
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
That's true and you haven't heard me gloating about our past glories have you.
No but I'm sure it'll only be a matter of time - see the World Cup/Euro tournament threads

Quote:
I may be born English (albeit with a fair bit of Irish blood in me) but I'm not arrogant and don't believe in the sort of bigoted stereotypes you seem to.
Not sure I've stated I believe any bigoted stereotypes, in fact I usually get all the usual sheep jokes thrown at me. Actually I'm half English but my loyalties stay this side of the brigde

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 11-03-2007, 19:00   #33
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Well what's going on then??

England beating France (the Grand Slam favourites) well after being so poor against Ireland and making so many changes.
Ireland making hard work of Scotland to win the Triple Crown and no doubt still ruing their moment of madness against the French.
Wales - well who's going to explain that then? Now staring the wooden spoon in the face.
Italy - well they've won 2 games and the Six Nations needs them to come to the party.

Plenty of surprises then
Old 11-03-2007, 19:02   #34
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Ah well, over to Kelly Jones from the Stereophonics....

Quote:
We don't wanna be,
Your enemy,
But when we're on the field,
It's red, white and green,

Got beat by the Irish,
Got beat by the Scots,
The French had a struggle,
But you're the one we want,
We want...

As long as we beat the English,
As long as we beat the English, we don't care

As long as we beat the English, we don't care
We don't care

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 11-03-2007, 19:15   #35
Osem
Inactive

You must like that song as it's the second time you've posted it

Maybe the Welsh team would do a lot better if they forgot about ancient hatreds and got on with playing the game. Surely there are more important things in life - even in Wales?
Old 11-03-2007, 19:20   #36
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
You must like that song as it's the second time you've posted it
Yeah, this time I mean it

Quote:
Maybe the Welsh team would do a lot better if they forgot about ancient hatreds and got on with playing the game. Surely there are more important things in life - even in Wales?
Ah right, you're the one who thinks I believe in, what was it, 'bigoted stereotypes'? And now it's "ancient hatreds"? Sorry to burst your bubble but let me quote one line from the above song which I think you might have missed.....

Quote:
We don't wanna be,
Your enemy
By the way, I'm half English.....but my heart is Welsh

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 11-03-2007, 19:48   #37
Osem
Inactive

Well Russ I've never been a great Stereophonics fan so can't comment on their lyrics Anyway if you care to read my post a little more thoroughly you'll notice that I didn't state that you believe in ancient hatreds - I implied that some of the Welsh team do and my comment is based on numerous articles and quotes by Welsh players I've read over the years.

Old 11-03-2007, 19:55   #38
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Can you link to any?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 11-03-2007, 20:26   #39
Osem
Inactive

Nope - it's a bit difficult linking to items on past sports programmes and articles in newspapers but there have been numerous examples over the years and if you have time and want to find some just try Google. The Scots even tried dredging up Bannockburn to galvanise their team at Murrayfield not so long ago. Time moves on surely? If we can forgive (if not forget) the awful events of the 2 world wars, surely the Celts can get to grips with their past.
Old 11-03-2007, 20:30   #40
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Nope - it's a bit difficult linking to items on past sports programmes and articles in newspapers but there have been numerous examples over the years and if you have time and want to find some just try Google.
No, if you're going to make claims like that then the responsibility is on you to back it up. At the moment all we've got is an unsubstanciated claim which happens to fit in with your way of thinking.

Quote:
The Scots even tried dredging up Bannockburn to galvanise their team at Murrayfield not so long ago.
Got a link for that?

Quote:
Time moves on surely? If we can forgive (if not forget) the awful events of the 2 world wars, surely the Celts can get to grips with their past.
True however just as any English sports fan (who of course, never have a dig at us celts) will tell you, friendly rivally between the home nations is the birthright of every Briton

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 11-03-2007, 20:54   #41
Osem
Inactive

Don't need a link for the 'Bannockburn' story - Along with several million others I saw the match and witnessed the sad histrionics at Murrayfield and likewise I've heard/read former and existing Welsh players express anti-English sentiments many, many, times. My point remains that there are surely more effective and more positive means by which to motivate a team.

By the way I don't have links for lots of other things either but didn't realise that was a prerequisite for having a debate on CF or have the T&C's changed? If so can you provide me with a link for the relevant rules?

Cheers
Old 11-03-2007, 21:04   #42
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Don't need a link for the 'Bannockburn' story - Along with several million others I saw the match and witnessed the sad histrionics at Murrayfield
But as you know, that was just a minority of 4 people.

Quote:
and likewise I've heard/read former and existing Welsh players express anti-English sentiments many, many, times
No you haven't. Come on now

Quote:
My point remains that there are surely more effective and more positive means by which to motivate a team.
Whatever gets 'em going I spose.

Quote:
By the way I don't have links for lots of other things either but didn't realise that was a prerequisite for having a debate on CF or have the T&C's changed? If so can you provide me with a link for the relevant rules?
This should give you an idea of the basics, although it's entirely up to you if you want to post links or not, but bear in mind it's likely no-one will take you seriously if you make wild claims without backing them up. I could say all English people are inherantly racist however I have no basis for that belief so it would be daft to post it. However if I did have evidence, that would be different. By the way before anyone moans, no I don't think that about the Saesneg.

Quote:
Cheers
You're welcome.

Ah by the way - rugby. "We don't want to be, your enemy...."

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 11-03-2007, 22:16   #43
Osem
Inactive

Russ some of your statements make sense but you seem to attribute quite a few falsehoods to me. I did not say, have never said and do not think that all Welsh, Scots, Irish (or any other nationality for that matter) are anything in particular - like everyone else there are all sorts in every race, creed etc. The Scottish people were not to blame for the Bannockburn histrionics - the SRFU were! What I wrote was that over the years I'd heard and read many vitriolic statements aimed at the English by current and former Welsh players, that these were based mainly of historical events and that it was about time things like that were forgotten and more positive motivational tools employed. That's not quite the same thing as claiming all Welsh people are racist which is an analogy you seem to feel is appropriate. In fact, rather than being a prejudiced and bitter outlook, I think that's a much more healthy way for us all to look to the future.

Incidentally, 5 minutes on Google earlier yielded this quote:

In 1977 Phil Bennett's pre-game pep talk before facing England produced a memorable quote: "Look what these *******s have done to Wales. They've taken our coal, our water, our steel. They buy our houses and they only live in them for a fortnight every 12 months. What have they given us? Absolutely nothing. We've been exploited, raped, controlled and punished by the English - and that's who you are playing this afternoon."

I don't intend to waste more of my time searching for other examples to illustrate my point but I dare say, sadly, that yet more nationalistic vitriol will emerge in the lead up to the forthcoming Wales v. England match.
Old 11-03-2007, 22:23   #44
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

1977? I was only 3 then

Yes, I'm sure there'll be plenty of nasty comments in the run up and during the match.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 17-03-2007, 08:23   #45
Fingy
Inactive

Fingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appeal
Fingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appeal

St Paddies day

3 Rugby Matches + Booze = plan for a damn good day!

Closed Thread