Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Contaminated blood inquiry to be held

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Contaminated blood inquiry to be held

Old 11-07-2017, 19:23   #1
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Contaminated blood inquiry to be held

Quote:
A UK-wide inquiry will be held into the contaminated blood scandal that left at least 2,400 people dead, the prime minister has confirmed.
A spokesman for Theresa May said it would establish the causes of the "appalling injustice" that took place in the 1970s and 1980s.
Thousands of NHS patients were given blood products from abroad that were infected with hepatitis C and HIV.
It's been called the worst treatment disaster in the history of the NHS.
Many of those affected and their families believe they were not told of the risks involved and there was a cover-up.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40566761

This is totally appalling and we can only hope that the truth will come to light. Whether or not those responsible can be punished is another matter altogether though and some may ask if that's why it's taken so long.

I hope the victims get what little comfort they can from the outcome.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2017, 19:58   #2
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
Re: Contaminated blood inquiry to be held

This was a terrible thing to be allowed to happen. The poor Haemophiliacs who received clotting factor products in the 70/80's thought that they were being given a lifeline and although it was known that this blood product was contaminated the NHS continued to condone its use for several years before they took steps to only buy in safe versions of the clotting factor. I can remember cases of young children having been diagnosed with HIV and at that time it was a death sentence.

As someone who relies on frequent blood transfusions it scares me to think that the very thing that is keeping me alive may kill me. So to find out that you were infected by tainted blood must have been a terrible thing to face.

I worry every time I receive a transfusion even though I know there are now better safeguards in place and that the blood I receive is donated by very generous and caring British donors and not brought in from abroad.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:19   #3
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
This was a terrible thing to be allowed to happen. The poor Haemophiliacs who received clotting factor products in the 70/80's thought that they were being given a lifeline and although it was known that this blood product was contaminated the NHS continued to condone its use for several years before they took steps to only buy in safe versions of the clotting factor. I can remember cases of young children having been diagnosed with HIV and at that time it was a death sentence.

As someone who relies on frequent blood transfusions it scares me to think that the very thing that is keeping me alive may kill me. So to find out that you were infected by tainted blood must have been a terrible thing to face.

I worry every time I receive a transfusion even though I know there are now better safeguards in place and that the blood I receive is donated by very generous and caring British donors and not brought in from abroad.
We hope so but it has been privatised.
Old 12-07-2017, 14:17   #4
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post

The problem at the time was that there weren't enough caring British donors giving enough. Had there been then no imports would have been necessary.

The alternative would have been people dying due to the shortage. Not a decision I would like to make.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 14:45   #5
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

The real problem was the people spreading around HIV/AIDS and Hep C. But we're not allowed to talk about that.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 15:00   #6
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
The real problem was the people spreading around HIV/AIDS and Hep C. But we're not allowed to talk about that.
Drug users, bisexuals and homosexuals?
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 15:05   #7
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Strange - you appear to have just talked about it...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 15:21   #8
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Strange - you appear to have just talked about it...
So why has nobody else really mentioned these real and ONGOING underlying issues?
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 16:00   #9
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
So why has nobody else really mentioned these real and ONGOING underlying issues?
Because it is not politically correct?
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 16:45   #10
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
and cyclists
Old 12-07-2017, 17:16   #11
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

The problem was that the USA did not screen the donors of the blood they obtained. Giving blood was one of the ways the poor, unemployed and homeless managed to obtain money in the States and the Pharmaceutical Companies were more interested in making a profit rather than actually checking that the blood they paid for came from healthy donors. It was great that they had found a way to treat Haemophilia but they showed themselves to be less than prudent when it came to sourcing the basic ingredient.

Prior to refined Clotting factors being made available Haemophiliacs were only expected, at the most, to live into their 20/30s and relied upon receiving plasma alone to treat bleeds. To get enough to help them meant that a lot of plasma had to be obtained. So although bleeding was life threatening it was not always an immediate death sentence.
Old 13-07-2017, 01:22   #12
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
and cyclists
mademelarf
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 06:45   #13
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Well everything else gets talked about on this forum.

---------- Post added at 05:41 ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Because it is not politically correct?
l ain't worried that it ain't politically correct but as with most things in life there are usually two sides to every story.

---------- Post added at 05:45 ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
Well my brother is gay and he is very safe in the precautions that he takes in his own life but alas not everybody is the same as with most things in life..