Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Are TV apps failing?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Are TV apps failing?

Old 29-06-2017, 21:22   #16
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Are TV apps failing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
You don't know a way to permanently remove the message do you? Very annoying on the Samsung, keep getting these messages about apps I don't use, the messages last for months! Looked on the interweb many seem to frustrated by this 'feature'.
On my Samsung it's Menu > System > Notifications. There is a Delete All option.
Old 29-06-2017, 22:00   #17
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
On my Samsung it's Menu > System > Notifications. There is a Delete All option.
Yes that works temporarily, but it always comes back after a few days. Only way I've found to disable is disconnecting the internet which defeats the object of a smart TV.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 12:19   #18
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
iPlayer is the only app I use on my smart TV; and only because Tivo's version is so 'crap'.
I sympathise! The V6 is fine with all the apps, but I'm afraid that the Tivos have always struggled and now the i-Player on the Tivo is virtually unusable.

I know you don't want to move away from the Tivos owing to the way you use yours, but you would be amazed at the difference the V6 makes. Everything on there works like a dream.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 14:38   #19
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Even more reason for VM to push for Amazon on its boxes.
Or buy a ROKU they're only small so fit anywhere or you have the ROKU stick which just slots into a hdmi port on your tv.
Yes i know more boxes but it's a good option.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 15:41   #20
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

I think the apps pre installed on smart TV's are better than using them through a STB.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 17:13   #21
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I think the apps pre installed on smart TV's are better than using them through a STB.
You wouldn't say that if you had a V6! My apps work perfectly on there, and the search facility enables you to find programmes, whether they are on TV, on demand or Netflix.

What's more, you can bookmark the Netflix dramas in 'My Shows' so that the list works seemlessly with your recordings.
Old 30-06-2017, 21:10   #22
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You wouldn't say that if you had a V6! My apps work perfectly on there, and the search facility enables you to find programmes, whether they are on TV, on demand or Netflix.

What's more, you can bookmark the Netflix dramas in 'My Shows' so that the list works seemlessly with your recordings.
Yes I would, and I can, how can it be better/quicker through a STB than directly through your TV?
Old 30-06-2017, 21:13   #23
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Well for a start you don't have to swap to your TV remote. You use the remote you use for everything else.

And for your favourite shows and searches, TiVo will drop you straight to the episode you're looking for from the streaming provider, rather that you having to search again once you're in the app on the TV.
Old 30-06-2017, 21:18   #24
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Well for a start you don't have to swap to your TV remote. You use the remote you use for everything else.

And for your favourite shows and searches, TiVo will drop you straight to the episode you're looking for from the streaming provider, rather that you having to search again once you're in the app on the TV.
That's not the case, if I have been watching something on Netflix, and I go back into Netflix the next evening to continue watching the same series it's already at " the front" so to speak, and your next episode is ready to play, there is no searching for the next episode.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:10   #25
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
That's not the case, if I have been watching something on Netflix, and I go back into Netflix the next evening to continue watching the same series it's already at " the front" so to speak, and your next episode is ready to play, there is no searching for the next episode.
You are not getting it, my friend.

Yes, Netflix is brilliantly user friendly.

But if it is content rather than brand that is important to you, the ability to search for any programme, whether on conventional tv, on demand, or OTT, then surely, the V6 is the perfect solution!

Although, it would be better with Amazon and Now TV on there as well.
Old 30-08-2017, 20:34   #26
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I've had my Samsung TV for about 15 months.

Not long after I got it, Skype was removed. The other day, a scrolling message said that Twitter will shortly be removed.

I'm wondering if this is because adding apps to TV's has not been a commercial success; I hope not as I find some of them useful and it's good to have a back up too.

Presumably they pay to be on there and have not found it to be cost effective. Has anyone else noticed this drip drip of removal on their make of set?
Just received a message about another removal; Spotify is to be removed from my Samsung TV.

Wasn't this removed from the TiVo some time back?

It's not an app that I use, but I'm surprised that those that do don't appear to be using it to go through their speakers, Soundbar etc.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 21:12   #27
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Just received a message about another removal; Spotify is to be removed from my Samsung TV.

Wasn't this removed from the TiVo some time back?

It's not an app that I use, but I'm surprised that those that do don't appear to be using it to go through their speakers, Soundbar etc.
I had this too popped up through a fifa match grrr, i use spotifi on my Android box or pc anyway.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 21:27   #28
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
The Samsung TV app on my 2014 TV is an older version, and doesn't show up as a Spotify Connect device. So it's not surprising that it's going, as it doesn't fit in with the Spotify ecosystem they want to build.

Spotify still exists on newer Samsung TVs and the PS4, which support Spotify Connect and have the newer UI:

https://support.spotify.com/uk/liste...on_tv/samsung/
Old 30-08-2017, 23:09   #29
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Removed from a lot of TVs this year.

https://support.spotify.com/uk/liste...-app-on-my-tv/
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 23:21   #30
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Not on our LG smart TV...
The link that Hugh posted says that Spotify was removed from all LG TV's last month!

---------- Post added at 21:21 ---------- Previous post was at 21:16 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
The manufacturers have no interest in updating apps on old TVs. There's nothing in it for them. They'd rather you bought a new TV.
It looks like you're right SP. They appear to be gradually removing apps instead of updating them from what others have posted.

If this is to be the norm, i'm beginning to lose my enthusiasm for Smart TV's as a cheap box/stick may be a better option.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote