Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Harvey Weinstein

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Harvey Weinstein

Old 11-10-2017, 16:27   #1
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Harvey Weinstein

Question:

Are those who knew about his alleged sexual conduct towards many female actors over the years and not speak out, complicit in keeping his sexual harassment allegations secret for years, and I am talking mainly about male actors, who knew, but said nothing?

Quote:
Harvey Weinstein's wife has announced she is leaving him following a series of sexual harassment claims made against the Hollywood mogul.

British fashion designer Georgina Chapman described her husband's behaviour as "unforgivable" and said "my heart breaks for all the women who have suffered tremendous pain".

It comes amid claims Weinstein raped three women and admitted groping a model in a recording obtained by The New Yorker magazine.
http://news.sky.com/story/harvey-wei...epens-11075467

Warning: Listen with caution, very disturbing audio of Weinstein up to perverted sexual conduct with female that is strongly not consenting to his advances

Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2017, 16:37   #2
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Harvey Weinstein

Seems like he had a lot of power over people who were worried he could ruin their careers. I also suspect many of those who knew only knew of part of the story and without the larger picture it wouldn't have been enough to bring him down. We've seen what happens before when women makes accusations, they in turn get accused of lying to win cash. You need a lot of testimony to make such an accusation stick and until someone investigates, as someone now has, then everyone is too afraid.

There could also be an element of the Saville about it too. People knew of the rumors without the accusations. It was clearly an open secret. Look at this joke:

Probably many more out there in Hollywood too. I mean Polański still gets jobs.

Last edited by Damien; 11-10-2017 at 16:49.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 18:12   #3
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Apparently MacFarlane did that in the video above because Weinstein tried it on with one of his freinds :
Quote:
MacFarlane claims Jessica Barth -- who he's worked with on "Family Guy" and the "Ted" films -- confided in him in 2011 about Weinstein's attempted advances ... and it pissed off Seth so much, he ripped Weinstein at the Oscar noms event.

"I couldn't resist the opportunity to take a hard swing in his direction. Make no mistake, this came from a place of loathing and anger. There is nothing more abhorrent and indefensible than abuse of power such as this."
From the stories that are coming out Weinstein seems to be a bit delusional. He's wanting to go to 'sex rehab' then come back and get a second chance, as if a few months at something like that gives him a clean slate.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 21:49   #4
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Apparently, News network NBC tried to quash this story....

Quote:
In mid-August, Ronan Farrow, an NBC News contributor, had secured an interview with a woman who was willing to appear on camera, in silhouette, her identity concealed, and say Harvey Weinstein had raped her, according to four people with close knowledge of the reporting. It was a pivotal moment in a testy, months-long process of reporting a story that had bedeviled a generation of media and Hollywood reporters.

Farrow had a lot of material already. In March, he had acquired a damning and much-coveted audio recording in which Weinstein admits to having groped an Italian model. He had interviews with former executives and assistants who’d worked closely with Weinstein who spoke about the culture of harassment and abuse he perpetrated. And now he had someone ready to accuse Weinstein of rape, on camera.

But at that moment Farrow was also caught in the pincers of an NBC News edict. He had been told by executives at NBC News that he didn’t have enough reporting to go on air with his Weinstein story, according to four sources, and he had been told by the network to stop reporting on it. NBC tried to put a stop to the interview with the woman accusing Weinstein of rape. The network insisted he not use an NBC News crew for the interview, and neither was he to mention his NBC News affiliation. And so that was how Ronan Farrow wound up paying out of his own pocket for a camera crew to film an interview.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0eb18af059685

I have no issue with freedom of the press to report on anything they choose, but to side step a major story of such allegations, I do have an issue with and again it is all about balance.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 12:59   #5
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Seems like he had a lot of power over people who were worried he could ruin their careers. I also suspect many of those who knew only knew of part of the story and without the larger picture it wouldn't have been enough to bring him down. We've seen what happens before when women makes accusations, they in turn get accused of lying to win cash. You need a lot of testimony to make such an accusation stick and until someone investigates, as someone now has, then everyone is too afraid.

There could also be an element of the Saville about it too. People knew of the rumors without the accusations. It was clearly an open secret. Look at this joke:

Probably many more out there in Hollywood too. I mean Polański still gets jobs.
That's the problem. And apparently Rosanna Arquette has blamed the fact she rejected his advances for her career faltering. She rejected his advances at around the time Pulp Fiction was released, and that *should* have boosted her career. All of a sudden, the job offers stopped.

As with Jimmy Saville, it was an open secret, but he made a lot of money for a lot of people. Some people are quite happy to forgive or forget most things if the money coming in is enough.

Regarding the actors involved, they had a choice. Risk the shame and emotional distress of abuse, possibly even rape, or risk having the career they have (in some cases) spent most of their lives building up destroyed because they said no.

I am not defending Weinstein, those who actively helped him, or those who were in a position to do something and merely turned a blind eye. In fact, I have nothing but contempt for them. He should have stopped, or have been stopped. It's useless wittering on about sex addiction now he has been caught. That's an excuse. That's so he can say "I'm ill, I'm seeking help" and hoping we forgive him before his career is totally destroyed. If he was ill, he should have sought treatment years ago.

Not that I believe he is a sex addict. If you are inferring to someone that their job hangs on performing certain favors to you, that's not a sexual thing. That is exerting power over them.

Oh, and blaming the victims because they didn't speak up earlier, that's not on.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 13:43   #6
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Apparently, News network NBC tried to quash this story....

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0eb18af059685

I have no issue with freedom of the press to report on anything they choose, but to side step a major story of such allegations, I do have an issue with and again it is all about balance.
Further stuff here: http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/nbc-...ed-1202586648/ Lots of recriminations going on.

---------- Post added at 12:43 ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
That's the problem. And apparently Rosanna Arquette has blamed the fact she rejected his advances for her career faltering. She rejected his advances at around the time Pulp Fiction was released, and that *should* have boosted her career. All of a sudden, the job offers stopped.

As with Jimmy Saville, it was an open secret, but he made a lot of money for a lot of people. Some people are quite happy to forgive or forget most things if the money coming in is enough.

Regarding the actors involved, they had a choice. Risk the shame and emotional distress of abuse, possibly even rape, or risk having the career they have (in some cases) spent most of their lives building up destroyed because they said no.

I am not defending Weinstein, those who actively helped him, or those who were in a position to do something and merely turned a blind eye. In fact, I have nothing but contempt for them. He should have stopped, or have been stopped. It's useless wittering on about sex addiction now he has been caught. That's an excuse. That's so he can say "I'm ill, I'm seeking help" and hoping we forgive him before his career is totally destroyed. If he was ill, he should have sought treatment years ago.

Not that I believe he is a sex addict. If you are inferring to someone that their job hangs on performing certain favors to you, that's not a sexual thing. That is exerting power over them.

Oh, and blaming the victims because they didn't speak up earlier, that's not on.
Weinstein is also alleged to have been very litigious so anyone making any public claim would have to be very careful and ready to go to court. Really any one person speaking out would have been risking a lot. It took 10 months of reporting, a great legal department, the testimony of several different people and a organisation ready to take the risk even with all they had to break the story.

You're right that people are being unfair in asking why any specific person didn't come out. Everyone knows part of the story, or just what happened to them, or the rumors they've heard. All of which doesn't amount to lot it isolation if you're going up against one of the most powerful people in your industry who also has lawyers he isn't afraid to use.

Again same with Saville. Everyone 'knew' but very few people actually knew and then even didn't know the extent. When that story first came out some people were saying the women were lying trying to get rich! You have to be very brave to make such allegations as it is, let alone when the person in question is famous and you can be publically attacked.

Last edited by Damien; 13-10-2017 at 14:01.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 15:28   #7
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

He's not a sex addict. He's a sexual predator.
Old 13-10-2017, 19:16   #8
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

A question me and my mum want to know is "why are the famous women comeing out of the wood word now?"
Old 13-10-2017, 19:23   #9
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
A question me and my mum want to know is "why are the famous women comeing out of the wood word now?"
Evening drinks bit too strong?
Old 13-10-2017, 19:25   #10
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Safety in numbers?

Whilst each victim thinks they're the only one they can be dominated or bribed into silence.
Old 13-10-2017, 22:34   #11
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

I guess a lot of them didn't want to harm their career any further. For example Rosanna Arquette, a lot of actors did very well out of Pulp Fiction, it helped John Travolta etc a lot, but her career didn't pick up, there is speculation why that may be

Also, at the time a lot would have been rumours, so "big name actress A" couldn't speak out without knowing for sure others would back up her story

Some victims unfortunately feel shame, think it's their own fault, when his is the monster, not them

Reminds me of Mike Tyson years ago, some of these celebs are probably so used to some people throwing themselves at them as they want to bang a celeb, they don't expect a refusal to their advances

Recently it emerged that Carrie Fisher gave Daisy Ridley advice to be wary of ppl who just want to "have sex with Princess Leia".

Jessica Hynes as well another example, always seemed strange the lads she worked with did so well in Hollywood, now we know why she was "stuck" here.

Some ppl want to gloat they had sex with a famous, some famouses like to add notches to their bedposts.

Last edited by admars; 13-10-2017 at 22:58.
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 13:12   #12
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Did he actually hamper any of their careers? Or was it just an idle threat?

Too much bleating "he harmed my career", when for the most part there was no career at that stage to harm.

Just because some others involved in a particular project went on to greater things is irrelevant. Heaven forbid it is because they are more talented. Others also involved in a project may not go to greater things, so what was the reason for them?
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 13:20   #13
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Did he actually hamper any of their careers? Or was it just an idle threat?

Too much bleating "he harmed my career", when for the most part there was no career at that stage to harm.

Just because some others involved in a particular project went on to greater things is irrelevant. Heaven forbid it is because they are more talented. Others also involved in a project may not go to greater things, so what was the reason for them?
He was a powerful figure in the industry and could have impacted their career. Never heard of the Hollywood casting couch? It's been going on for decades and he is just the tip of the iceberg. Expect more names to be exposed.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 13:28   #14
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
He was a powerful figure in the industry and could have impacted their career. Never heard of the Hollywood casting couch? It's been going on for decades and he is just the tip of the iceberg. Expect more names to be exposed.
"Could have" is meaningless. He just as easily "could have not bothered". To actively harm what little careers they had at the time, would have meant involving other people. Is there any sign of that happening? There is no automatic right to a stellar career based on one success that would likely be down to ability of others. Most of them are completely replaceable by others. They largely have no unique or intrinsic ability. They should stop whinging the nonsense about harmed careers.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 13:54   #15
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

why did these people wait until they where famous and well off before complaining .