Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

Old 08-10-2011, 09:10   #436
Data123
Inactive

Data123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

Quote:
Originally Posted by megabaldie View Post
Now im wondering wether to take the other one back or can you run two boxes off one dish? is so how? or is it as simple as using a splitter?.... once again I know nothing lol

You can but you need a Twin LNB
Data123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2011, 09:36   #437
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Twin or Quad LNB will do, you need one output per tuner. The ross boxes are single tuner, freesat/FTA PVRs are dual tuner. To single tuner boxes need two outputs and two PVR boxes need 4 outputs. You can leave an output un-used just wrap them in a bit of self-amalgamating tape.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:37   #438
keicar
Inactive

keicar is an unknown quantity at this point

Assuming your dish is pointing at 28.2 you could do as I have and add the Ross LNB along side your existing LNB and pick up both Astra 28.2 (Freesat etc) and 19.2, its surprisingly easy to do. Use one feed to each of your Ross boxes.

I decided to do this instead of buying a second dish.

DSCF3820 by keicar1, on Flickr
keicar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:58   #439
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

You can do that with many sats, just alter the angle dependant on the seperation of the sats. I used to have a home made bracket to pick up 28.2E and 13E. You can buy twin LNB's that are two in one set to the correct angle or if you look further back in this thread I posted a link to a variable twin LNB
Old 21-10-2011, 11:55   #440
avopaul
Inactive

avopaul is an unknown quantity at this point
B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

i have put up my sat dish i 70% strenght but 0% quality any one got any idears on what to do
avopaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 12:02   #441
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Ooh look, you've gone offline already

Come back, someone will be able to help you!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 15:58   #442
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Just in case you do pop back, signal strength measures the connection between the dish and the box. Signal quality measures the broadcast signal being received by the dish.

If you have good strength but zero quality, it means you have done your cabling well but you most likely messed up the dish alignment.

What did you use to align the dish?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 10:30   #443
classic one
Inactive

classic one is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

hello we have had the Ross HD reciver and dish for near a year and gave up on the set up !! We set one up at a house in Sussex with a meter NO probs ( Not a Ross or HD ) went to do ours and with the meter , cant get a "Sound from the meter or any "Quailty" signal, Im trying to sort it again , HELP!!
classic one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 11:12   #444
Kymmy
Inactive

The meter relies on the power from the box to the LNB, if no sound at all even on full sensitivity then I'd check the cable (make sure that there's no shorts including the patch lead) and also the LNB settings on the box
Old 30-10-2011, 13:20   #445
AZIMUTH
Inactive

AZIMUTH is on a distinguished roadAZIMUTH is on a distinguished road

hi kymmy,,,what can i expect to recieve on 19.2 and is it in english?thanks.
AZIMUTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 14:59   #446
Kymmy
Inactive

Check lyngsat.com or many of the other sat websites for a complete listing of channels on each sat and if they're encrypted or not

http://www.lyngsat.com/astra19.html
Old 30-10-2011, 17:22   #447
teddybear154
Inactive

teddybear154 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

Hi every one I wonder if some one can help me. I bought a Ross Free sat HD Kit a few weeks ago. It was tricky to start with to set up. We had the same problem as other people on this forum as in we could get strength of 99% but quality continually at 0 %. We eventually discovered that the Lnb was faulty. Once we got a new Lnb. It worked fine. Now I get quality of 60% and picture is very good even on HD channels. I can pick up all the BBC channels, ITV channels, Channels 4, Channel 5 etc. But my problem now is that channels such as Food network it picks up the channel and tells you what programme is on. But when you try and view the channel there is no picture just a black screen. Why is this. When you are on the food network channel and press info it shows there is a signal of 60%. Is there any thing I can do to get a picture on these channels. I love watching the food network channel. And this was one of the main reasons I went for free sat instead of free view. Also I can pick up the children's channels such as pop, tiny pop, pop girl and kix. But when try to view these channels I get a message saying no signal. Why is this. Are these channels not on the same satellite as the BBC, ITV Channel 4 channels etc. Is my dish perhaps not quite aligned properly or is it a problem with my receiver box. Or have I done some thing else wrong. Also one final thing has any one had any problems with connecting a usb drive to there Ross free sat receiver. As I have tried plugging in a usb 2gb memory stick and it came up with a error message and would not read it, I also tried connecting a 160gb external usb hard drive and it would not read this either. I wanted to be able to record some programmes. I am guessing my receiver box is faulty.
Any advice on all these things would be much appreciated, thanks in advance
teddybear154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 17:26   #448
Kymmy
Inactive

It could be that the channel has moved since the scan was done.. Try a full rescan but before that see if there is any updates for the firmware which should also update the transponder listings as well.
Old 30-10-2011, 17:35   #449
teddybear154
Inactive

teddybear154 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a firmware update, I have downloaded it from the Ross website, and I put it on my 2gb usb memory stick but when I plug in to usb port of receiver. It will not read usb device I just get a error saying can't mount usb device. I have tried it with my usb hard drive as well. and it wont read my hard drive at all and no error comes up. So can't do firmware upgrade. Does the usb drive have to be formatted in a certain format to be recognised by the Ross receiver
teddybear154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 17:37   #450
Kymmy
Inactive

You are probably correct with the format being the issue.. what does it suggest on the documentation for the firmware or in the receiver manual as to what cards it can read??