Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Networking - will this work?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Networking - will this work?

Old 10-09-2007, 09:12   #1
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Networking - will this work?

ok, so I bought a few of the homeplugs, and they certainly seem to work well - now the idea is, hopefully I can reorganise my network topology to make things a bit easier.

So here goes... I have a cable point upstairs, where the modem sits, now at present, that is then linked to my firewall/router in the study, (via the homeplug) which the pc(s) connect to.

I also have a standalone watchguard firewall, that I want to use - so what I want to do is move one pc (a server) and the firewall, into the cupboard under the stairs, so what I think I need to do is, connect the firewall to the modem via a homeplug, then connect the firewall to a hub/switch, and run a cable from that to the server, what I then want to do is link that hub to another hub in the study which the pcs can think link to.

So am I able to link the 2 hubs on the uplink port via a homeplug(s), or would it need to be a wired connection?

Please don't suggest wireless, it's very flaky in my house, which is why I'm looking at homeplugs.

Thanks
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2007, 10:06   #2
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star
Re: Networking - will this work?

A bit difficult to visualise, but as I understand it each homeplug pairs up with others it can see sharing the same security key. So if you want a two 'networks' you could have two h/p with one key to link the modem and firewall/server/router, and then more h/p devices with a different key (and different IP range) to link the router and hubs. So in theory it should work.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:18   #3
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

sorry, I'm not sure if I explained myself well..

I guess the question comes down to : can I link 2 hubs using the uplink port(s), via a homeplug, rather than physically running a cable between the 2 hubs - everything will be in the same IP range

To my mind it should work....but you never know
Old 10-09-2007, 10:32   #4
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Not tried it, but it should work - the h/p devices are effectively acting as bridges and should affect the IP traffic.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:45   #5
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Not tried it, but it should work - the h/p devices are effectively acting as bridges and should affect the IP traffic.
yeah, that's what I thought... but just wanted confirmation - could be an expensive mistake