Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Rugby Union Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Rugby Union Thread
Closed Thread

Old 14-10-2007, 20:54   #196
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: Rugby Union

Yet according to some, this never actually happens.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Advertisement
Old 14-10-2007, 21:15   #197
c_r
cf.addict

c_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
15 Minutes into the South Africa V Argentina match, and I have lost count as to how many times Will Greenwood has made reference to the England team, its incredible.

Update, so far he has been able to mention nearly half of the England team by name, what an incredible piece of biased commentary............we still have 50 minutes of this nonsense.
What on earth do you expect though? I'm not watching the game but I assume he's mentioning the England players in relation to the final? I agree it can be annoying but the facts are that England are playing the winners of this game in the final, so if you're watching the game on a British tv channel with an English summariser it's pretty silly to expect anything else.
Old 14-10-2007, 21:43   #198
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_r View Post
What on earth do you expect though? I'm not watching the game but I assume he's mentioning the England players in relation to the final? I agree it can be annoying but the facts are that England are playing the winners of this game in the final, so if you're watching the game on a British tv channel with an English summariser it's pretty silly to expect anything else.
I expect a balanced commentary, not one heavily waited and overley gushing about Englands performance over France.

I will be the first to admit that England have done extremely well given their history since the last world cup, but there were other teams in the UK playing, I don't remember seeing brief clips of each player before their matches, describing themselves and what postions they played.

Sorry, all due respect to England for where they are now, but Greenwoods commentary was too much all about England yesterday.

He even ressurected a few swipes at NZ, come on, the guy is a total moron, and I hope that is the last TV appearance he makes.
Old 14-10-2007, 21:47   #199
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I have to agree, I couldn't see too much wrong with it all, as you say, English commentators are doing whats expected. I liked the way they took the mick out of Lord Farquaad (Percy) quite a bit.
Old 14-10-2007, 21:49   #200
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star

Quote:
To be fair, I would be expecting the commentators to be commentating on the game at hand, not on another team.

It's so annoying to listen, whichever sport it is, to commentators prattle on about another game. What about the game at hand eh?

Surely they have a highlights programme that they could use to discuss all the games that have been played?
Old 14-10-2007, 21:50   #201
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
To be fair, I would be expecting the commentators to be commentating on the game at hand, not on another team.

It's so annoying to listen, whichever sport it is, to commentators prattle on about another game. What about the game at hand eh?

Surely they have a highlights programme that they could use to discuss all the games that have been played?
Here, here!!
Old 14-10-2007, 22:02   #202
c_r
cf.addict

c_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud of

Quote:

But every other country does it - can you imagine the French commentators not mentioning their chances in the final if they'd won last night? Admittedly there is a difference with itv covering the UK and not just England but even so, if Wales or Scotland were the team in the final I'm sure the commentators would be talking about them.
Old 14-10-2007, 22:05   #203
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Don't be so sure about that.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 14-10-2007, 22:08   #204
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ B View Post
Don't be so sure about that.
Well I don't think we'll ever know the answer to that one will we.
Old 14-10-2007, 22:09   #205
pedantic
Inactive

Services: O2 standard
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
Send a message via Yahoo to pedantic

I see the moaning buggers are out in force again, it's just like the football world cup all over again.
Old 14-10-2007, 22:10   #206
Toto
Inactive

Quote:
But every other country does it - can you imagine the French commentators not mentioning their chances in the final if they'd won last night? Admittedly there is a difference with itv covering the UK and not just England but even so, if Wales or Scotland were the team in the final I'm sure the commentators would be talking about them.
Yes, but its not been about the final, their first match had a descriptive clip of each England player....all the other UK teams and Ireland just got the usual positional graphic.

Greenwood took every opportunity to mention England where he could. OK, so its his first time, but I hope someone in ITV has picked this up and told him to cool off a bit....which he did appear to do in the second half.

He can do all the gushing he likes in the final, I don't care, nor will the rest of the UK.
Old 14-10-2007, 22:28   #207
Mal
Inactive

Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Doesn't mean that it's right though, does it?

I mean, I turn on to watch South Africa v Argentina and all I get is them talking about a different match???

Like I said, if they have a highlights match, that's where they should be discussing it. If I wanted a rerun, I would have taped the England match and watched that over and over again.

My opinion is not based on any argument between fans, it is based on the fact that I have decided to watch a specific match and I want the commentators to discuss that match, not a previous game.
Old 14-10-2007, 23:10   #208
c_r
cf.addict

Quote:
Doesn't mean that it's right though, does it?

I mean, I turn on to watch South Africa v Argentina and all I get is them talking about a different match???

Like I said, if they have a highlights match, that's where they should be discussing it. If I wanted a rerun, I would have taped the England match and watched that over and over again.

My opinion is not based on any argument between fans, it is based on the fact that I have decided to watch a specific match and I want the commentators to discuss that match, not a previous game.
So you're watching the semi-final of the world cup in the UK, one of the home nations playing the winner, and you're moaning about them mentioning England?
Old 14-10-2007, 23:36   #209
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Perhaps it's not just them mentioning England but the way they're being mentioned, forgetting their supposed impartiality?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 14-10-2007, 23:50   #210
Mal
Inactive

Quote:
So you're watching the semi-final of the world cup in the UK, one of the home nations playing the winner, and you're moaning about them mentioning England?
I am actually English, so obviously this isn't an opposing fan issue, is it?

Yes, whoever wins in the match, they will be playing England in the next match. Not this one.

My point is that if I want to watch any match, whether it be Rugby, Football or Tiddlywinks, I want them commentating on that match, not doing a full match analysis of a previous match.

How many times did they mention England? Was is it once, twice? Did the mention of England end up in 30 minute discussion of the fitness of Johnny Wilkinson?

I do realise that I have more chance of seeing a squadron of pigs taking off from Manchester airport under their own power, than to see any commentator not ramble on about rubbish, but it is still a dream of mine.
Closed Thread