Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Need Help networking asap

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Need Help networking asap

Old 27-05-2005, 08:38   #16
grovestjedi
Inactive

grovestjedi is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Need Help networking asap

well when i run ipconfig i get this

Ethernet adapter local area connection 3:

ip
subnet
gateway

and
PPP adapter sprint dsl
ip
subnet
gateway

now doesnt my router have to match the above ip addy? which one would i use

the ethernet adapter local area connection
or the PPP adapteR?
grovestjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-05-2005, 08:43   #17
zing_deleted

the router will allocate IP addresses to what is connected to it.The IP of the modem will terminate at the router.Most routers ive used with cable have just worked once both modem and router have been rebooted.What settings are in the router

All your boxes are blank I take it there not in reality

I also take it your adsl,do the router settings match your isp?
Old 27-05-2005, 08:45   #18
grovestjedi
Inactive

i just uninstalled the router software and im reinstalling it now to retry all of this.
Old 27-05-2005, 08:46   #19
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb
the router will allocate IP addresses to what is connected to it.The IP of the modem will terminate at the router.Most routers ive used with cable have just worked once both modem and router have been rebooted.What settings are in the router

All your boxes are blank I take it there not in reality
This is very true.

However my router refused to work with ntl until I'd done a full/hardware reset.

Maybe the op can try that (if he hasn't already).

Just an idea.

You may tell me off if it was a silly one.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2005, 08:48   #20
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovestjedi
i dont believe my desktop has a nic card.

sorry if all my questions are redundant and newbish. ive been fighting with this for 3 days now, and dont understand why it wont work.
If you do not have a nic card in your desktop how does that connect to router?
you said your laptop has a wires card? can you describe how everything is connected please
Old 27-05-2005, 08:53   #21
grovestjedi
Inactive

if this helps, im using the apple router. and under system requirements it says wifi card. but my desk top doesnt have one. i was under the impression i could still have it wired. but i cant get to the router setting from my desk top only the laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb
If you do not have a nic card in your desktop how does that connect to router?
you said your laptop has a wires card? can you describe how everything is connected please
ok i will call desktop computer A and laptop computer B

i have my desk top with no wireless capabilities what soever. so i took my pretty red ethernet cable i got with my modem and i run that to my apple airport extreme base station. then i run another cable from the base station to computer A.
computer B is completly wireless.

i can get an internet connection when both computers are directly connected to the modem.
Old 27-05-2005, 09:00   #22
zing_deleted

do you have a mac then?? cuz

Can I use a PC with the AirPort Extreme Base Station?

Yes. A Windows-based PC with an 802.11b or 802.11g Wi-Fi Certified wireless card can join an AirPort Extreme wireless network. The base station will need to be set in †œ802.11b/g Compatibleââ ¬Â mode for a system with an 802.11b card to join the network. Note that a Macintosh computer running Mac OS X v10.1.5 (with Networking Update) or later is required to set up the base station initially.
Old 27-05-2005, 09:04   #23
grovestjedi
Inactive

no mac yet, 2 weeks, thats why i decided to get the apple router.
but it has a windows airport utility to configure everything. but like i said my desk top has no wifi card.

i thought it could be wired

edit: my laptop has a 802.11g network adapter.
Old 27-05-2005, 09:07   #24
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

It can but you need to be able to connect to the LAN port on it, You will need a USB to Ethernet dongle for that I would think.
Edit
Also has USB by the look of it
[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2005, 09:07   #25
zing_deleted

Sorry I have not been able to be better help.Can you log into router with laptop then?I am totally unfamiliar with the router but does it appear to have a ethernet switch?you said modem plugs in and pc so it has to have more than just a wan port
Old 27-05-2005, 09:08   #26
grovestjedi
Inactive

the router has a lan and wan port so i run an ethernet cable from the lan to my desktop ethernet port
Old 27-05-2005, 09:14   #27
Paul K
Inactive

Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovestjedi
the router has a lan and wan port so i run an ethernet cable from the lan to my desktop ethernet port
Yep Lan feeds the comuters, WAN is the input from the modem.

Can I ask how your PC is currently connected to the modem?
Old 27-05-2005, 09:21   #28
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
It can but you need to be able to connect to the LAN port on it, You will need a USB to Ethernet dongle for that I would think.
Edit
[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
I could be wrong, but I *think* the USB port on the Airport Extreme is for attaching to Printers.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2005, 09:23   #29
Paul K
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by scastle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Edit
I could be wrong, but I *think* the USB port on the Airport Extreme is for attaching to Printers.
Looks that way from the site, nothing mentions USB connection to the PC for BB sharing. Looks like ethernet or wireless but ethernet is the easiest way to configure the settings. Nothing on the Apple site states that the USB is for anything other than connecting scanners, printers etc.
Old 27-05-2005, 09:28   #30
zing_deleted

Not bad having a print server though really