Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | wireless network setup, help!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

wireless network setup, help!

Old 11-05-2005, 20:48   #1
frank.lui
Inactive

frank.lui is an unknown quantity at this point
wireless network setup, help!

I am trying to setup my wireless network but got some problem. I cannot access to internet via wireless connection. The LAN setup is:
WAN: NTL cable modem
Router: Linksys WRT54GS (802.11g)
Desktop: cabled via ethernet card
Laptop: Armada 6500 (PII) & BT VOYAGER 1060 PCMCIA adaptor (802.11g)

Router wireless setup:
wireless network mode: mixed (my friend may come to use the network, whose laptop is 802.11b)
wireless channel: 11-2.462GHz
SSID broadcast: disabled
Security mode: WPA-PSK, TKIP, (key supplied)
Wireless MAC enabled
Permitted only: selected (VOYAGER 1060 MAC address key-in)

In the laptop I used IPCONFIG/ALL and can see:
Node type:mixed
IP routing enabled:no
WINS proxy enabled:no
DHCP enabled:yes
Auto config enabled
Auto confir IP: 169.254.3.122
Subnet mask:255.255.0.0
Default gateway:
DNS servers:

Before I install the wireless adaptor, I can use PCMCIA ethernet card conneting to internet.
In the VOYAGE 1060 window, I can see:
Network name: correct
AP's MAC: correct
Security: TKIP, WEP, key absent (dodge, this is different from router)
speed: 125HSM
channel: 11 (the same as router)
Client IP: 169.254.3.122

Please give me some tips.

Thanks a lot
frank.lui is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2005, 20:58   #2
j2tts
Inactive

j2tts is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: wireless network setup, help!

Ok your got the mac address filtered enabled right.

You have to go into the router and add the mac address of your wireless card in the mac filter list, then hit only allow access to the addresses in the filter.

You can get the address from the card (written on side) or do another ipconfig/all and write down the mac address of the card from the list it gives back.

Good luck.

O and turn your ssid back on till your got ur wireless setup, you can disable it once done.
j2tts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 21:14   #3
frank.lui
Inactive

I checked the router setup. MAC address of VOYAGER card is already in the MAC filter list. But when I opened MAC client address list I found this address is listed as inactive PC. What is the problem?
Old 11-05-2005, 21:42   #4
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

A bit confused, as my old router only supports WEP. Is the problem that the router is set to use WPA and the laptop WEP? (Needs someone who knows about WPA security). The 169.x.x.x IP address means that the laptop has not 'found' the DHCP server (i.e. the router). This is confirmed by the lack of DNS server and gateway addresses. Is the router configured to be a DHCP server? (I'd be surprised if not - this is usually a standard setting).
Old 12-05-2005, 07:30   #5
frank.lui
Inactive

Yes, it is set as DHCP.
One thing a bit strange is the security setup of PCMCIA card. In the security tab, it shows WPA-PSK and TKIP is selected. Also when I tried to input a new key different from the one in router, it always say 'wrong key'. But in the status tab, it shows 'TKIP, WEP key absent'. ???
Old 12-05-2005, 08:00   #6
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Any security is better than none.
Old 12-05-2005, 19:33   #7
Jez
Inactive

Jez is on a distinguished roadJez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank.lui
One thing a bit strange is the security setup of PCMCIA card. In the security tab, it shows WPA-PSK and TKIP is selected. Also when I tried to input a new key different from the one in router, it always say 'wrong key'. But in the status tab, it shows 'TKIP, WEP key absent'. ???
Are you putting the security key in as a keyphrase, or are you using the hex code equivalent? I ask, because I had a problem with a Belkin router and XP where if I entered the phrase used in setting up the security on the router into the relevant box in XP, nothing happened - no error message, but no internet connection. If I used the hex code (which the router gave me) instead, all was well ...
Jez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 22:04   #8
frank.lui
Inactive

Tried as you said, it works, but only when use WEP. At WAP, no hex equivalent. Finally I un-install the PCMCIA card and re-install it, all works. So I guess I did not input something correct in the first place.

Thanks guys for all you help!