Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)
Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 20:55   #3586
jj20x

Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Media Boy Blog says Channel is on Virgin Media in the local area.
Correct, Bay TV Swansea is carried on VM. The takeover will, presumably, put this into the same category as other That's TV channels carried on VM due to carriage arrangements existing pre-takeover. Interesting to note that the SDT does not refer to Cambridge TV rather than That's TV Cambridge and Mustard TV rather than That's TV Norwich. With none of the original That's TV branded channels having carriage on VM, maybe it's only a matter of time before the acquired channels are removed.

The point of my post, however, was that this is another independently operated local channel being swallowed up by the "big 2" operators.

Advertisement
Old 11-12-2017, 21:25   #3587
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

But won't the previous owners have signed a carriage contract with VM? Maybe there's a get out clause of some kind eg change of ownership.
Old 11-12-2017, 21:35   #3588
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Does anyone want/need those crappy channels?
Old 11-12-2017, 21:58   #3589
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Well, they're all dropping like flies and That's TV obviously don't think its worth paying VM.
Old 11-12-2017, 22:54   #3590
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Obviously not!
Old 11-12-2017, 23:11   #3591
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
But won't the previous owners have signed a carriage contract with VM? Maybe there's a get out clause of some kind eg change of ownership.
I would have thought so, and that is probably why "Cambridge TV" and "Mustard TV" still show up in VM's SI data. Interesting that the service names haven't changed to reflect the new owners. Carriage contracts are usually for a fixed term, with That's TV's apparent policy being DTT only, I can't see them renewing the contracts with VM.

---------- Post added at 22:11 ---------- Previous post was at 22:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Perhaps if they had been properly thought out and funded. The low quality channels they have turned into leaves a lot to be desired.

Old 11-12-2017, 23:32   #3592
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post
I would have thought so, and that is probably why "Cambridge TV" and "Mustard TV" still show up in VM's SI data. Interesting that the service names haven't changed to reflect the new owners. Carriage contracts are usually for a fixed term, with That's TV's apparent policy being DTT only, I can't see them renewing the contracts with VM.

---------- Post added at 22:11 ---------- Previous post was at 22:09 ----------

Perhaps if they had been properly thought out and funded. The low quality channels they have turned into leaves a lot to be desired.
I was once told that channels get charged a nominal fee to change their name by the various platforms, if true they may be so short of cash to pay this or aren't bothering as they see no long term future on VM??

Are these two channels actually carrying the new services on VM?
Old 12-12-2017, 01:15   #3593
jj20x

Quote:
I was once told that channels get charged a nominal fee to change their name by the various platforms, if true they may be so short of cash to pay this or aren't bothering as they see no long term future on VM??

Are these two channels actually carrying the new services on VM?
Cambridge is ex-NTL Langley, so I don't have the NIT tables, but the VM channel is advertised on the That's TV web page for Cambridge. The Norwich service is in the VM NIT tables, which suggests it is still being carried but that's not conclusive proof. The That's TV page for Norfolk doesn't advertise the VM channel.

Old 12-12-2017, 03:34   #3594
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Thanks, maybe someone who lives in those areas will be able to confirm either way.

Bit of trivia: Apparently, last night's drama 'Barcroft' on ITV was to be one of the new series due to be shown on ITV Encore next year, but as they've decided to close the linear channel they decided to show it instead of programming about the Hatton Garden robbery that they had to pull for legal reasons.

At least VM viewers didn't lose out, not that I can comment about Barcroft as I didn't see it...
Old 12-12-2017, 04:29   #3595
jj20x

Quote:
Correct, Bay TV Swansea is carried on VM. The takeover will, presumably, put this into the same category as other That's TV channels carried on VM due to carriage arrangements existing pre-takeover. Interesting to note that the SDT does not refer to Cambridge TV rather than That's TV Cambridge and Mustard TV rather than That's TV Norwich. With none of the original That's TV branded channels having carriage on VM, maybe it's only a matter of time before the acquired channels are removed.

The point of my post, however, was that this is another independently operated local channel being swallowed up by the "big 2" operators.
BIB - I just realised that after initially editing that comment, it made no sense whatsoever. So, let's try that again: "Interesting to note that the SDT refers to Cambridge TV rather than That's TV Cambridge and Mustard TV rather than That's TV Norwich."

Old 12-12-2017, 10:17   #3596
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Thanks, maybe someone who lives in those areas will be able to confirm either way.

Bit of trivia: Apparently, last night's drama 'Barcroft' on ITV was to be one of the new series due to be shown on ITV Encore next year, but as they've decided to close the linear channel they decided to show it instead of programming about the Hatton Garden robbery that they had to pull for legal reasons.

At least VM viewers didn't lose out, not that I can comment about Barcroft as I didn't see it...
Hatton Garden appeared on DigiGuide around about -15 days, but by the time Virgin +14 EPG was downloaded, it had already been pulled and DigiGuide updated.
Old 12-12-2017, 14:03   #3597
jj20x

Quote:
There was a message from one of the scanners this morning. A few changes: Frequency changes on the Manchester networks (including Stoke). An additional service named "Playboy". A few rebrands, mainly temporary rebrands but, interestingly, Mustard TV has now been renamed as That's Norfolk. Nice timing for that last one. The service name of the Cambridge local TV station was still listed as Cambridge TV.

Those are the main changes. The scans haven't been analysed at this stage, if there were any other changes, I'll post the info later.

Old 12-12-2017, 14:11   #3598
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

We have had information that Disney are looking to launch a VR and UHD service next year, right now we're taking it with a pinch of salt.
No platform was mentioned so it may be on all or may be part of Disneys own service, when i find out more i'll let you guys know.
Old 12-12-2017, 16:00   #3599
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
There was a message from one of the scanners this morning. A few changes: Frequency changes on the Manchester networks (including Stoke). An additional service named "Playboy". A few rebrands, mainly temporary rebrands but, interestingly, Mustard TV has now been renamed as That's Norfolk. Nice timing for that last one. The service name of the Cambridge local TV station was still listed as Cambridge TV.

Those are the main changes. The scans haven't been analysed at this stage, if there were any other changes, I'll post the info later.
There's still an EPG entry for the now closed Playboy on channel 979. I don't subscribe so can't access it, perhaps "Playboy" is a closedown slate that's on there??
Old 12-12-2017, 16:30   #3600
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
We have had information that Disney are looking to launch a VR and UHD service next year, right now we're taking it with a pinch of salt.
No platform was mentioned so it may be on all or may be part of Disneys own service, when i find out more i'll let you guys know.
If I were a betting man, I'd say it would be on their new streaming service. I can't see any linear UHD services being launched for the time being, although it's worth keeping an eye on Eurosport.
Closed Thread