Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Retentions Deals - Text from Customer Relations?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Billing Issues

Retentions Deals - Text from Customer Relations?

Old 19-03-2017, 00:55   #16
jicms
Inactive

jicms is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Am I paying too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicms View Post
I would be grateful for some advice. I'm currently paying £77 a month for my package. I've just retired and cannot justify paying this much. My additional V box is hopeless.

There seem to be much better deals on offer. Should I change to another provider or request a good retention deal? This is my package:

Loyalty Pack B B/ Phone/TV B
Talk Weekends
Fully Itemised Billing
Full House TV (XL)
1 Additional V Box
V+ HD Monthly Fee
TiVo Monthly Fee
SuperFibre 70
Bundle Charges total £58.51
Phone line rental total £19.00
Package total £77.51
Should I just cancel or try negotiating with retentions first? I don't know how to tackle it, either firmly stating what I want, just asking what reductions they can make or quoting examples of what others get. I did try some years ago and all they offered was downgrading features/removing the second box. I felt the operator was rather patronising with a take it or leave it attitude.
jicms is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-03-2017, 09:31   #17
nicknewark
Inactive

Services: V6 Tivo, Virgin BB, Freesat, NowTV. PS4 Pro
nicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Retentions Deals - Text from Customer Relations?

I would always try the friendly route, but that's me!.

I would call and explain that you feel it is too expensive and that you need to try and cut costs and see if they can offer you anything.

if you've been with them a long time they really won't want you to leave, give them a call and ask, select the option 'your thinking of leaving us'.

Hope you get on okay.
nicknewark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 10:46   #18
MrB
cf.addict

MrB is on a distinguished roadMrB is on a distinguished road
Re: Am I paying too much?

Quote:
Should I just cancel or try negotiating with retentions first? I don't know how to tackle it, either firmly stating what I want, just asking what reductions they can make or quoting examples of what others get. I did try some years ago and all they offered was downgrading features/removing the second box. I felt the operator was rather patronising with a take it or leave it attitude.
Always friendly but giving notice seems to get the best deals as so have said above - as it moves you through to a different team who have access to the best deals (Putboubd - you cannot phone these people up, they phone you). Those you speak to through "thinking of leaving - option 1,1, 4, 5 on the menu system) can offer some deals but not the best, as their incentive is to offer you a little/package change to stay, while the next line team aim is to try to offer you enough to stop you leaving. Most people probably get something better than what they have now and accept the offer from the first team, this missing the best deals.

There are a lot of really good Sky deals at the moment through CarphineDixons to help negotiations - look on HotUKDeals under Audiovisual.

You are currently paying double what others seem to achieve for this mix.

Last edited by MrB; 19-03-2017 at 11:04. Reason: Add
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 14:53   #19
jicms
Inactive

jicms is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone. I got an amazing result. Contacted VM. I cancelled as not happy with small discount offered. Got a good quote from Sky. Cancelled VM. VM retentions phoned several days later with a great discount of £30 including upgrading my second box. Sky offered even better deal but decided to stay with VM for an easy life.
jicms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 15:06   #20
MrB
cf.addict

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I got an amazing result. Contacted VM. I cancelled as not happy with small discount offered. Got a good quote from Sky. Cancelled VM. VM retentions phoned several days later with a great discount of £30 including upgrading my second box. Sky offered even better deal but decided to stay with VM for an easy life.
Great! Please can you let us know what your package is now per month and what price you have achieved (including phone line).
Old 01-04-2017, 15:47   #21
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB View Post
Great! Please can you let us know what your package is now per month and what price you have achieved (including phone line).
I would think it's £30 less than posted in his OP.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 16:09   #22
MrB
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I would think it's £30 less than posted in his OP.
it could very well be ... but depending on how they have processed it, he could have the opportunity to pay the line rental in advance and save even more per month overall.
Old 04-04-2017, 21:47   #23
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

I called today, I was paying £39.48 for:
100Mb broadband
Mix TV
TIVO
24/7 Phone calls with Caller display (line rental saver paid)

Called retentions today and got the same deal for £36
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 23:05   #24
nicknewark
Inactive

Services: V6 Tivo, Virgin BB, Freesat, NowTV. PS4 Pro
nicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation era

I called up as I was interested in the V6, managed to get Mix Tv, 100m BB and all inclusive calls for £36 a month, £50 for the V6 and £14.99 activation.
I've since had the activation charge credited back as the box didn't arrive on time, so quite pleased with the deal, one year contract.

V6 due tomorrow on self install. 😀
nicknewark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 08:06   #25
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Always try to align your Line Saver Rental with the end of your contract if you can.

This is because it's not refundable and you end up either foregoing the money or effectively tying yourself into a longer contract.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 14:32   #26
MrB
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Always try to align your Line Saver Rental with the end of your contract if you can.

This is because it's not refundable and you end up either foregoing the money or effectively tying yourself into a longer contract.
Good advice - I am letting my deal roll month by month at the moment as I am not locked in, so am forgoing the additional £2 odd saving per month in case a better deal comes along.
Old 15-04-2017, 10:07   #27
bubblegun
cf.addict

Services: Virgin TV 360 Virgin 500Mb FTTP -AX86+AC86U AIMesh - O2 Mobile
bubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nice

New customers are being offered a 2 year price protection on their discounts for ~£5/month higher joining price so I'd imagine retention offers are going to go this way too.

Sky changed to lower discounts and longer minimum terms for retention a few months ago.
bubblegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 11:35   #28
MrB
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
New customers are being offered a 2 year price protection on their discounts for ~£5/month higher joining price so I'd imagine retention offers are going to go this way too.

Sky changed to lower discounts and longer minimum terms for retention a few months ago.
I got 75% off and a £100 account credit from Sky last month, so there are deals still to be had if you get the right person on chat .

I have both VM and Sky as with the combination of retention offers this was cheaper than paying for a third box.
Old 15-04-2017, 11:45   #29
bubblegun
cf.addict

Services: Virgin TV 360 Virgin 500Mb FTTP -AX86+AC86U AIMesh - O2 Mobile
bubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB View Post
I got 75% off and a £100 account credit from Sky last month, so there are deals still to be had if you get the right person on chat .

I have both VM and Sky as with the combination of retention offers this was cheaper than paying for a third box.
That's Winback which is a "different kettle of fish", Retention offers are cut first then Winback follows. Usually.

Retention (cancellations) and Downgrades have changed to 18m contracts recently with all discounts and I'd expect Winback to go the same way soon.

Where Sky goes the competition usually follows eventually so if Sky reduces the discounts then the competitors usually cut their's too.
Sky are the only one out of the big three (BT and Virgin, too) who regularly advertise at full price.
bubblegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 12:37   #30
MrB
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
That's Winback which is a "different kettle of fish", Retention offers are cut first then Winback follows. Usually.

Retention (cancellations) and Downgrades have changed to 18m contracts recently with all discounts and I'd expect Winback to go the same way soon.

Where Sky goes the competition usually follows eventually so if Sky reduces the discounts then the competitors usually cut their's too.
Sky are the only one out of the big three (BT and Virgin, too) who regularly advertise at full price.
So long as they do decent deals then I don't suppose anyone mibds being tied in (particularly as we know they will put their prices up at least once, possibly twice, per year on current form which presents the right to cancel anyway).

The offer was 60% off from the moment I put in my Sky cancellation (it appeared on the Sky box and online). As for me it is an extra box I let the cancellation go through and a day or so later went online - so it appears to pay to wait . My deal is also with no contract so I can leave (or at least cancel again to renegotiate!) when the credit runs out.