Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin TV (2024)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin TV (2024)

Old 22-01-2024, 17:52   #61
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

TimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really nice
Re: Virgin TV (2024)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
Virgin Stream, Sky Stream Puck etc don't quite seem like the dark ages.
Which don't have +1 channels anyway
TimeLord2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-01-2024, 17:55   #62
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Virgin Stream, Sky Stream Puck etc don't quite seem like the dark ages.
Well those streaming devices would likely have catch up and again +1 channels wouldn't be needed.

I just think they are a waste of band2idth and came at time before DVRs became the norm and catch up and on demand weren't really much compared to what they are now.
Old 22-01-2024, 18:27   #63
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 View Post
Which don't have +1 channels anyway
The comment I replied to did not mention +1 channels. My reply, therefore, was not about +1 channels, merely about newer devices from Sky & Virgin not having a recording facility without being from the dark ages.

---------- Post added at 18:27 ---------- Previous post was at 18:25 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Well those streaming devices would likely have catch up and again +1 channels wouldn't be needed.

I just think they are a waste of band2idth and came at time before DVRs became the norm and catch up and on demand weren't really much compared to what they are now.
But they are some of the newer devices and certainly not from the dark ages.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 18:37   #64
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
The comment I replied to did not mention +1 channels. My reply, therefore, was not about +1 channels, merely about newer devices from Sky & Virgin not having a recording facility without being from the dark ages.

---------- Post added at 18:27 ---------- Previous post was at 18:25 ----------

But they are some of the newer devices and certainly not from the dark ages.
I was talking about normal cable and sky boxes not streaming ones.
Old 22-01-2024, 18:42   #65
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

As stated - both VM's and Sky's latest products do NOT have any recording facilties.

Both do have catch-up and it was said they don't need +1 channels. But both Sky's and VM's current linear boxes have the same catch-up apps as their current streaming boxes.

If the arguement is that if the stream boxes don't need +1 channels - then neither do SkyQ or the VM 360.

Nowadays, DVR seems to be from the dark ages - but UK Catch Up services do not provide a full catch up service.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 18:44   #66
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Still don't understand, why if your route of choice is streaming, why would they offer a recording choice. However I look at it it seems pointless.
Old 22-01-2024, 18:54   #67
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I was talking about normal cable and sky boxes not streaming ones.
Fair enough but that wasn't clear from "If anyone still has a Virgin or Sky box that can't record then it must be from the dark ages". The newer streaming boxes still pass as cable and sky boxes and don't have a recording facility. I don't have a horse in the +1 or the recording facility race.
Old 22-01-2024, 18:58   #68
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Still don't understand, why if your route of choice is streaming, why would they offer a recording choice. However I look at it it seems pointless.
I was once on the testing for Vodafones TV box that ultimately never lauched. It used an aerial for the main channels and WiFi for the pr3mium channels but with the ability to record programmes that were stored remotely on servers in Germany. BBC and ITV couldn't record but their catch up apps were available. It worked well and meant you could str3am recordings when not at home. This was around 2015. It worked well but a decision was taken mere weeks before launch to cancel it.

I still like to have DVR facilities on my Q or Virgin boxes to keep some films and shows. You never know when the streaming services will remove them. But with all the options available now +1 channels do seem rather redundant.
Old 22-01-2024, 23:30   #69
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
If the “benefit” of streaming is you only pay for what you watch (not actually true, but I’ll grant this latitude briefly) why should Virgin include them in their packages?

Anyone can buy a fire stick, a Roku or cast from their phone.
When they have watchlists and a decent EPG for the Freeview channels while they still exist, I’ll agree with you.

---------- Post added at 23:30 ---------- Previous post was at 23:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
So what, I'd still like Talk Radio on the EPG.

---------- Post added at 13:49 ---------- Previous post was at 13:47 ----------

This is not correct, in fact some have no capability to record at all.
Then use the on demand option.
Old 23-01-2024, 04:03   #70
epsilon
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy UK View Post
No information on any thing new coming for V6, TV360 boxes.

But I have been told that "200+ Channels are set to be added" to Virgin Media Stream boxes within the next THREE weeks.

https://mediaboyukblog.blogspot.com/...ls-set-to.html

I did not even know about Sky Sports Red Button button launching via TV360 boxes until after it did happen.
Subscription pack codes have been added for 150 extra channels on Stream in the Inclusive channels, Essential Entertainment and Kids packs. Pack codes being added isn't definitive proof of the IPTV streams being added, so that will need to be confirmed. A provisional list available at https://ukcabletvchanges.blogspot.com/

The additional channels seem to include quite a few +1 timeshifts so, yeah, some of the user comments in this thread about Stream not having +1s didn't age well.
Old 23-01-2024, 08:14   #71
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
When they have watchlists and a decent EPG for the Freeview channels while they still exist, I’ll agree with you.
Don’t people have EPGs on their freeview/freesat compatible TVs? Or indeed, turn over to whatever HDMI port their Virgin/Sky STB is on “while they still exist” (as you put it).

You’re selling us a pup here, OB. The big advantage for subscribers was supposed to be we weren’t subsidising crap. Now we (all pay-tv subscribers on all platforms, including streaming) are paying more, getting less and the answer is for Virgin and Sky to give them a leg up?
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2024, 12:37   #72
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Don’t people have EPGs on their freeview/freesat compatible TVs? Or indeed, turn over to whatever HDMI port their Virgin/Sky STB is on “while they still exist” (as you put it).

You’re selling us a pup here, OB. The big advantage for subscribers was supposed to be we weren’t subsidising crap. Now we (all pay-tv subscribers on all platforms, including streaming) are paying more, getting less and the answer is for Virgin and Sky to give them a leg up?
The Freeview EPG is not that good, though, jfman. They are not up to the standard of Virgin’s or Sky’s and don’t let you see very far ahead.

As for the streamers, I have more good choices than I ever had before. You are only getting less on the TV channels.

Sport is a different issue.
Old 23-01-2024, 13:28   #73
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Netflix will show live WWE from 2025

*CONFIRMED: WWE to move from TNT Sports to Netflix in the UK from 2025.

https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/broad...189758.article
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2024, 13:54   #74
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The Freeview EPG is not that good, though, jfman. They are not up to the standard of Virgin’s or Sky’s and don’t let you see very far ahead.
I’m confused why on one hand it’s dated and on the way out yet it’s essential and only Sky and Virgin (themselves, on the way out) must step to give streamers the quality platforms to be on.

Quote:
As for the streamers, I have more good choices than I ever had before. You are only getting less on the TV channels.
And paying through the nose for it, OB. To the end user “the TV channels” is a meaningless distinction - less content is less content whether viewed on demand or otherwise.

Quote:
Sport is a different issue.
It’s the elephant in the room.

---------- Post added at 13:54 ---------- Previous post was at 13:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy UK View Post
Netflix will show live WWE from 2025

*CONFIRMED: WWE to move from TNT Sports to Netflix in the UK from 2025.

https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/broad...189758.article
A big move into the general entertainment market.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2024, 14:39   #75
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
As stated - both VM's and Sky's latest products do NOT have any recording facilties.

Both do have catch-up and it was said they don't need +1 channels. But both Sky's and VM's current linear boxes have the same catch-up apps as their current streaming boxes.

If the arguement is that if the stream boxes don't need +1 channels - then neither do SkyQ or the VM 360.

Nowadays, DVR seems to be from the dark ages - but UK Catch Up services do not provide a full catch up service.
...and don't have QuickView or always provide subtitles.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote