Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | cat5 cat5e cat6 cat6e cat7!! What on earth! what do i use!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

cat5 cat5e cat6 cat6e cat7!! What on earth! what do i use!

Old 13-07-2007, 22:59   #1
nerrrad
Inactive

nerrrad is an unknown quantity at this point
Question cat5 cat5e cat6 cat6e cat7!! What on earth! what do i use!

Hi people,

I'm about to rewire my home and i need some advice on what cabling to use.

There is going to be a central server which has films music etc and a device in each room that allows someone to stream content from the server.

Could some body please explain to me the difference between each cable type the advantages / disadvantages whether to get:

- Unshielded Twisted Pair (UTP)

- Shielded Twisted Pair (STP)

- Screened Shielded Twisted Pair (S/STP)

- Screened Unshielded Twisted Pair (S/UTP)

and if you can even have those on certain types of cable!

Thanks for your time

regards

Darren
nerrrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-07-2007, 23:33   #2
rtj70
Inactive

rtj70 is on a distinguished roadrtj70 is on a distinguished road
Re: cat5 cat5e cat6 cat6e cat7!! What on earth! what do i use!

Don't really know which best for this but assuming cable lengths in tollerance then surely shielded twisted pair a good future proof idea? I'd go for best available that might support 10Gb/s or at least 1Gb/s. Wiring this is what costs in terms of time and not only cable.

For the bandwidth needed, is wireless not an option for most of the house with wired for the main room where video needed?
rtj70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 00:34   #3
nerrrad
Inactive

nerrrad is an unknown quantity at this point

All rooms will require video, i think i am going to settle on cat6 shielded twisted pair.. or possibly look into fibre optic (im not sure how the network will cope with 10 rooms all streaming movies across, whilst downloading and browsing the net all at once, any ideas? will cat six be sufficient?)

Thanks for the help
nerrrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 00:45   #4
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Wel, Cat5e will do 1Gbps. Cat6 will do it more reliably, and CAT7 isn't even a standard
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 00:54   #5
icestar2
Inactive

Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal

Is it a big building ? could you run a fiber optic backbone and then have a cat cable from each machine connecting via a socket to the backbone ?
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 02:19   #6
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerrrad View Post
All rooms will require video, i think i am going to settle on cat6 shielded twisted pair.. or possibly look into fibre optic (im not sure how the network will cope with 10 rooms all streaming movies across, whilst downloading and browsing the net all at once, any ideas? will cat six be sufficient?)

Thanks for the help
as druchii said, Cat5e is perfectly good enough for 1 gigabit, and infact it's even upto 10Gigabit today, however if you intend upgrading the feeding kit in the future just go for Cat6 and be done with it.

the thing that everyone seems to forget is to run more than you need right now,and so not run out later... if you were to add more networking/storage kit http://www.freenas.org/ for instance.

you can also buy off the shelf cat splitters that convert the cat wire into two seperate RJ45 feeds from one cable, but its far easyer to just run two feeds to every single room, including the loft as you re-wire.

dont skimp on the fastest router/switch or even two, one for each end of your run just incase you want to change your main server room/location later.

for instance from your under stairs store to your loft room for housing a wireless 11N/WiMax router (for better/best coverage)and NAS (Network Attached Storage) kit.

and dont forget to always multicast your video if you want to save bandwidth and yet serve several LAN machines/devices at the same time with the video, something like VLC will Multicast several DVD streams just fine.

iv not as yet tested a/several HD-DVD/BR multicast feeds on 100Mbit ,but cant see a problem while browsing etc.
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 15:54   #7
janipewter
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Multiroom, VM XL Phone, VM XXL BB
janipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to janipewter

The different between UTP and STP is that STP is electromagnetically shielded (there's a metal shielding around each pair of copper wires). If you're not laying the cabling anywhere where there is a high amount of electromagnetic interference then don't bother with it, since it is quite a lot more expensive than UTP.
janipewter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 16:17   #8
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druchii View Post
CAT7 isn't even a standard
no but it's a perfectly good pseudonym for a standard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_7_cable
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 16:48   #9
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
no but it's a perfectly good pseudonym for a standard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_7_cable
Last time i checked i swear i couldn't find that... Interesting.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote