Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL Cable Modem HELP!!!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NTL Cable Modem HELP!!!

Old 21-03-2007, 15:27   #1
figure8
Inactive

figure8 is an unknown quantity at this point
NTL Cable Modem HELP!!!

I have signed up to NTL broadband and I would like to share the internet connection using a wireless router.

A friend gave me a BT Voyager cable/dsl 1500 wireless router will this be compatiable??

Could you give me some advice on how do set this up. Do I need to have a cross-over cat5 cable to connect cable modem to router or will a standard striaght cable do. Is there anything I should look out for???

I have setup adsl routers in the past however this is my first time working with cable.

I haven't connected the cable modem to my laptop yet I want to just install router straight away if possible!!!
figure8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-03-2007, 15:31   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: NTL Cable Modem HELP!!!

No it won't work. What you have been given is designed for ADSL, and it has an inbuilt modem that passes the internet connection directly to the inbuilt router. There is nowhere for you to plug an ethernet cable into it to supply it an internet connection from your NTL modem.

You need a simple wireless router. The Linksys WRT54G is a popular model (others are available). A straight-through CAT5 cable from the modem to the router and you're away. The cable should be in the box when you buy the router anyway.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2007, 15:55   #3
figure8
Inactive

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply.

I took another look at the unit and it only has 1 x (rj-45 internet) port and then the standard 4 x lan ports. So that's why I was thinking i could connect this 1 x (rj-45 internet) port to the ethernet port on the cable modem???
Old 21-03-2007, 16:02   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by figure8 View Post
Hi Chris, thanks for the reply.

I took another look at the unit and it only has 1 x (rj-45 internet) port and then the standard 4 x lan ports. So that's why I was thinking i could connect this 1 x (rj-45 internet) port to the ethernet port on the cable modem???
Your line in should be a telephone jack, not an RJ45. Looks similar but smaller.
Old 21-03-2007, 16:08   #5
figure8
Inactive

Hi Chris,

The line in is a definately a rj-45 connection. There are no rj-11 ports on this unit. I found this on the BT website what you think

""Package contains:

BT Voyager 1500 Wireless Router
One Ethernet/Cat 5 cable
One power adapter
Quick start guide

What else do I need?

You will need to have modem or router with Ethernet connection to network your computers because the BT Voyager 1500 does not have an integrated modem."""
Old 21-03-2007, 16:41   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by figure8 View Post
Hi Chris,

The line in is a definately a rj-45 connection. There are no rj-11 ports on this unit. I found this on the BT website what you think

""Package contains:

BT Voyager 1500 Wireless Router
One Ethernet/Cat 5 cable
One power adapter
Quick start guide

What else do I need?

You will need to have modem or router with Ethernet connection to network your computers because the BT Voyager 1500 does not have an integrated modem."""
Aha ... hang on. All bets off. I misread your initial post, saw DSL and thought it was a modem/router.

That unit is just a simple wireless router and the RJ45 line in is so you can plug your NTL modem into it via ethernet. I believe you should use a straight-through cable.

AFAIK you don't need anything else and it shouldn't need configuring - power everything off, connect modem > router > PC, then switch it all on in that order, waiting for each device to boot before switching on the next. It should just work ...
Old 21-03-2007, 17:06   #7
figure8
Inactive

Thanks Chris. I'll have a go at this and see how it goes.
Old 23-03-2007, 09:59   #8
figure8
Inactive

Well still having problems with this router. However it seems now that my cable modem has packed in. I connected it up again directly to my pc and when I reboot the unit it doesn't seem to be getting and ip address from NTL (NO INTERNET). When I do IPCONFIG /ALL I get info on 2 ethernet adapters ( I only have one nic installed) so it looks as if the first one is the cable modem and it shows that it is set to DHCP however the IP and gateway values are 0.0.0.0. The second adapter (the installed nic) is again set to DHCP and it has assigned itself a private address (auto configuration) so its not getting anything from the cable modem.

Any ideas??
Old 23-03-2007, 11:53   #9
ntl engineer
Inactive

Services: sky/broadband/phone
ntl engineer is on a distinguished roadntl engineer is on a distinguished road

take your nic adapter out and reinstall it m8 then it shud pic it up iam 2 one on board in one installed and iad same problem took the installed one out and back in and it picked it up no problem and make sure you av no other broadband or adsl software on your comp as it can conflict with it and wen installed bk in and try it and try repair ur nic card first in the connections settings
ntl engineer is offline   Reply With Quote