Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Good Anti virus firewall £40 max

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Good Anti virus firewall £40 max

Old 03-03-2017, 07:26   #1
albertsteptoe
Inactive

Services: Full House XL,Gamer 200MB Sky Q Silver.
albertsteptoe is on a distinguished roadalbertsteptoe is on a distinguished road
Good Anti virus firewall £40 max

Morning All.
Could anyone recommend a a good antivirus firewall max £40, id like one that runs in background will not slow down my PC to much has clean up tool ect. i had F-Secure on my pc didn't like it slowed my pc down to much my OS is Windows 7 64 bit.
albertsteptoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2017, 09:30   #2
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Re: Good Anti virus firewall £40 max

I use Norton - you can get 10 device 1 year license on Amazon for £28 and it works on Android and other tablets too. Includes 25GB backup. I also have 64 bit Windows (10 in my case). It does have some annoying habits with scanning, backing up and updating which can hog resource but once stable works well.

Others will recommend other tools having had issues with another product. There are reviews and comparisons over the net showing strengths and weaknesses of products.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:39   #3
albertsteptoe
Inactive

albertsteptoe is on a distinguished roadalbertsteptoe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
I use Norton - you can get 10 device 1 year license on Amazon for £28 and it works on Android and other tablets too. Includes 25GB backup. I also have 64 bit Windows (10 in my case). It does have some annoying habits with scanning, backing up and updating which can hog resource but once stable works well.

Others will recommend other tools having had issues with another product. There are reviews and comparisons over the net showing strengths and weaknesses of products.
Thanks for that had Norton in the past didn't like it that much.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:49   #4
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

No need to pay anything for Antivirus and Firewall software these days in my opinion.

I use Avast Free and Comodo Firewall and they don't appear to slow my PCs down.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:58   #5
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Comodo for me too.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:21   #6
albertsteptoe
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
No need to pay anything for Antivirus and Firewall software these days in my opinion.

I use Avast Free and Comodo Firewall and they don't appear to slow my PCs down.
isn't the free version just for 30 days
Old 03-03-2017, 11:08   #7
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertsteptoe View Post
isn't the free version just for 30 days
No they're both completely free.

https://www.avast.com/en-gb/free-antivirus-download

https://www.comodo.com/home/internet...y/firewall.php
Old 03-03-2017, 11:09   #8
albertsteptoe
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Thanks for that SnoopZ ill try it now.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:13   #9
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Comodo takes a little while to get used to but once setup correctly you won't see many popups, it is just a case of tweaking it, just make sure you only install what you want, as i think they bundle their chrome browser with it and a few other things, nothing to worry about though it isnt spyware etc.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:12   #10
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

I'd recommend BitDefender as a good free ant-virus which doesn't slow your machine down or have annoying nag screens (they put me off avira and avast free)
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 14:25   #11
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Ive been using Kaspersky for the past 4 years this is my 5th and im very happy.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 14:44   #12
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

360 Total Security Seems like a good choice, and it's free.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 15:57   #13
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by admars View Post
I'd recommend BitDefender as a good free ant-virus which doesn't slow your machine down or have annoying nag screens (they put me off avira and avast free)
On Avast i just put it in gaming mode which stops all popups and keeps the same level of protection.
Old 03-03-2017, 16:05   #14
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-J View Post
360 Total Security Seems like a good choice, and it's free.
Quote:
One such free service is Qihoo 360 Total Security Essential 8.6, which goes beyond simple protection against malware, adding system tuneup and cleanup features along with a large number of other useful tools. However, this wealth of bonus features doesn't quite make up for the fact that its core antivirus protection is just average.
Link
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 00:42   #15
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

I seem to recall that Qihoo got in trouble with AV testers, for submitting a non-default configuration, enabling the Bitdefender engine which is normally disabled in preference for their own - if that engine is still an option, it would improve performance.

But, looking up that info, I find that they are also accused of other transgressions.

Certainly, Bitdefender free is worth a look, good engine, but very limited options.

The other one I quite like, is Sophos Home, absolutely no nags - but according to av-comparatives, not that stellar in protection.

Zonealarm offer a free (and Pro) combined AV and firewall
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote