Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Doctor Who

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television

Doctor Who

Old 03-02-2017, 16:14   #196
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
There will be a *lot* of audience research before they ever cast a female actor to play the doctor. No doubt in the meantime the feminist lobby will continue to complain about gender bias (while cheerfully ignoring the strange and un-feminist implications of turning 50 years of male backstory female, rather than simply building a strong female character from scratch and allowing her to stand on her own merits) but gender bias is the worst possible reason to do it. I hope that the senior people at the BBC have the good sense to see it.
Well I am saying they can't cast regardless of gender because if they decide to cast a female doctor that decision would have to be made before they begun casting.

I don't think they would be turning 50 years of male backstory to female though would they? 'She' would still have that backstory and have that backstory as a man. Those stories would still be her past. It would be a bad decision to do this for political reasons but I think it's justifiable as a creative decision to have to deal with that change. Although given recent seasons of Doctor Who I am not they could pull it off.

It's a change that wouldn't bother me but I am not really that into Doctor Who anyway. I'll watch it occasionally but am unaware of the canon of the show.

Last edited by Damien; 03-02-2017 at 16:18.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2017, 16:28   #197
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

No, my point is, the Doctor is a hero character, highly regarded by the audience and loved by kids and nerds worldwide. That hero-worship is why feminists covet the role for a female actor. They see it as a way of diverting all that hero-worship onto a strong, female role model. But it is a Pyrrhic victory indeed for feminists to do this when that hero-worship is the work of half a century of male actors.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 17:55   #198
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I was just warming to him as well. Oh well I'll await the replacement with interest
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 14:27   #199
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Latest trailer for series 10.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 18:01   #200
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
The 1960s had a regular male companion, but from 1970 onwards the Doctor's regular travelling companions were almost all female (excluding the UNIT regulars, Pertwee's Doctor never had a female companion, Tom Baker's had Harry Sullivan for a brief spell in his first season then Adric at the tail end; Davison had Adric then Turlough. Turlough left the series in 1984 and was the last recurring male character billed by the show's producers as a companion in either the classic or the modern era, with the singular exception of Rory (when he wasn't getting killed). Actually I really liked the Smith/Gillan/Darvill Tardis, it was very Troughtonesque and IMO will likely come to be regarded as classic.

All that said, I think they probably have leant towards female companions as a balance for the character of the Doctor, who is male. However the thinking behind that doesn't apply if they cast the next Doctor as a woman, because that decision will have been taken for different reasons. The only reason for casting a woman to play a male role is a perceived need for gender equality. Those same reasons would permit two females in the Tardis while simultaneously frowning on two males in the show's lead roles.

Steven Moffat has spent the last 3 years furiously bending the show's continuity so as to provide a ready in-universe explanation for casting a female to play a character who has regenerated from male to male no fewer than 12 times. Nevertheless, such a radical change in the structure of one of the BBC's most lucrative properties isn't a decision that will be taken by Chris Chibnall alone. It will require consent from upstairs.
Sorry to nitpick, but I suspect you meant Pertwee never had a male companion, beyond the Brigadier (who, in fairness, was in a *lot* of third doctor stories) and various UNIT soldiers.

Regarding the role of the companion, I remember Janet Fielding said something in one of the DVD commentaries I think is possibly as a result of her feeling slightly bitter, but is also possibly true. She said that she always felt that the companion was there (from a narrative point of view) partly to provide a reason for the Doctor to explain some arcane technology (thus explaining it to the viewer as well) and partly to provide something for the audience to look at. Most of the classic era companions were not developed far beyond that. The fact that most of them were quite young and good looking would seem to back that up.

OK, that's not true in all cases. Turlough wasn't what I would call good looking. A good actor, and a good character, but not good looking. He also had a backstory of sorts. Kameleon is, of course, another exception. He wasn't good looking (or a human for that matter), and had the technology been there, could genuinely have been interesting.

In the modern series, all of the various companions have had some sort of back story. Rose had a family and Friend. Mickey had Rose as a friend and when he was introduced as a companion, got a nan. Martha had a family, and a cousin. Donna had a Mum, and the brilliant Bernard Cribbins as her Grandad. Rory and Amy had each other, and also Rory's dad. Even Clara had a family (although they were only referenced a couple of times) and her relationship with Danny (which I do consider a mistake, as I think it made the series slightly soppy). One thing that I like about the new series is it has shown that the companions have a life away from the Doctor (particularly Amy and Rory, but to some extent Martha and Clara as well)

Ironically, in the original series, Teegan probably came closest to having a back story.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 18:25   #201
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

The Brigadier, Benton and Yates are often categorised as companions of the classic series. Personally I disagree. They were regular recurring characters for sure, but they remained at (almost) all times on Earth and in their chosen occupations. They never "left" to go away and travel in the Tardis, unlike every other companion in the series.

Janet Fielding may moan, but she was there when Sarah Sutton, at her own suggestion, spent the best part of her final story wandering around a derelict space ship in her underwear.
Old 21-03-2017, 23:56   #202
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Pertwee's Doctor was rather different to most others. He was marooned on Earth for a long time and UNIT employees were his companions to a degree. Sarah Jane also arrived during his tenor if I remember.
Old 22-03-2017, 01:37   #203
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Sarah Jane took over from Jo Grant.

I loved Jo, I wished she had stayted longer.
(She made a guest appearance in the Sarah Jane Adventures).

Old 03-04-2017, 15:49   #204
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

New trailer. Watch to the very last few frames for a major revelation.

Old 03-04-2017, 15:58   #205
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

'An error occurred. Please try again later. (Playback ID: mLY36REcr&nVgee6)'
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 16:14   #206
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Looks like they don't want it embedded. I've taken the video tags off the link.
Old 03-04-2017, 16:14   #207
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Raw link, what's the revelation? The regen? we knew that was coming anyway.

Removed link, it's above.
Old 03-04-2017, 16:22   #208
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

This is the video frame you're looking for.

We were led to believe Capaldi would appear in the Christmas special this year, with a regeneration taking place then. It now seems he's off at the end of this series. Which means the announcement of the new actor is probably coming sooner than we thought too.
Attached Images
File Type: png who.png (216.1 KB, 126 views)
Old 03-04-2017, 16:26   #209
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

What if he still is though, they could film a regeneration scene inside the tardis now and just add it to the Christmas special before they even start proper production on it. Just gotta make sure the continuity is right. Then again, BBC deliberately alerted viewers to that frame.

A new Doctor before Christmas, is a win/win really?

I was never aware he'd still be in the Christmas show though, hence the lack of revelation. Just assumed he'd get a two parter ending and we'd see the new one. As many others have suggested though, could be a drawn out regeneration, that being the start but not actually going full circle till the Christmas special, the special with two actors playing the doctor for each half of it?

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 03-04-2017 at 16:29.
adzii_nufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 20:15   #210
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Looks like they don't want it embedded. I've taken the video tags off the link.
Works ok for me, maybe you didnt do the tag correctly ?